Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
er6fwasakaik

RCS Updates/ Freeware DLCs

I've read comments from a number of you with regards to when RCS Updates the game, you have to reinstall all the 'reskins' and other Freeware/Payware DLCs you have. Not something I've ever had to do.
(Knocks wooden head against something solid)

So do RCS update TS2012 automatically? I have the 'Always keep this game up to date' option selected, so I assume they do it as and whenever.

Or am I going to have a really bad headache, when I get told, I have to manually update every update since the dawn of time, or at least since TS 2012.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Toldrabald

Yes if you have automatic updates enabled in Steam you will always be on the newest available version for all of your content. That includes core files and addons bought on Steam.

Reskins (or repaints is the more common term I think) only need to be reinstalled when a loco gets an update from RW2 standards to RW3 with TSX. The raindrops on the front screen mess up the cab badly, basically the repaint becomes unuseable until it's updated to the new version as well. Other circumstances usually don't require a reinstall of the repaint since most of them install into their own folder and don't overwrite original files.

On the other hand there are a couple of 'mods' that will alter RW default files, mainly the Armstrong Powerhouse soundpacks. Those need to be reinstalled every time there is an update to the DLC which the soundpack is for. This is due to Steam seeing you have altered the files and they are not correct from it's point of view. So it overwrites them with the 'correct' versions. But this is also rarely required, only after updates for the specific DLC.
There are other useful modifications to 'core files' (anything that is included in the default RW installation by Steam) such as camera point of view changes which can be overwritten by Steam.

There are three cases a reinstall of mod files is necessary:
a) a general core update comes out, renewing core files -> some mods may require a reinstall, depending on what's updated
b) an update for a specific DLC comes out -> mods for this one DLC need to be reinstalled
c) you do a 'verify cache' -> all additional mods need to be reinstalled
Toldrabald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
er6fwasakaik

Well I don't have any Armstrong Power items, as far as I know.
er6fwasakaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
peterhayes

As I posted above to make the reinstall post verifying cache easier my Brazilian colleague Doc Lisboa aka Machinist has developed an update.bat file which when used appropriately will reinstall all pre-verifying cache add-on files with just two clicks.

You do need some knowledge of DOS in order to make changes if your TS2012 install is in a non-standard folder ie outside Program Files(x86)

If anyone is interested it is posted on the RWA forum link: http://railworksamerica.com/forum/vi...php?f=6&t=5383
I anglicised the instructions so blame me if they are unintelligible.
Regards
PeterH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Wotawally

Peter:
The link doesn't work - page not found.
The link in the AP thread does work.
Wotawally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
peterhayes

WW
Sorry about that here it is again: http://railworksamerica.com/forum/vi...php?f=6&t=5383
Hope that's better. I clicked it and it worked for me!
pH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks