Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Karkadinn

How does multiplayer xp work?

XP seems pretty central to doing well in multiplayer, but the game doesn't really do a good job of informing you how xp gains work from what I can tell. Do you only get it for winning? Do challenges or more kills give you bonus xp? Right now I'm struggling because I want to pop in for a quick ten-twenty minute game, get some xp and pop out, but half the time I don't seem to be gaining xp at all, which makes those matches a 'waste' for getting better at multi.

So, any seasoned WSP multiplayer peoples care to enlighten me about how to not accidentally cut off the experience flow when starting out?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
panzerlied

Do you finish a match? If not, then your xp isn't saved when you quit, at least I don't think it is.

Anyway, you get xp for: winning, completeing weapon/armor challenges, killing people, and capping objectives. You also gain xp in Exterminatus but at a slower rate. Killing AI does not net you the same amount if you killed a human player. Unfortunately, you can not complete armor/weapon challenges in Exterminatus either, although most people I know of usually just farm them in a private match.
panzerlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Karkadinn

Does losing a match count as 'finishing' it? Because the last few times I've bothered to check, losing at Exterminatus didn't really give me a visually significant xp boost. Or is it just that the xp from Exterminatus is so small that it's not easily discernible on the bar?

My plan was to focus on Exterminatus until I got enough levels to not suck for competitive, but if Ext's xp rate is gimped, I might as well just suck it up and start chameleoning the enemy loadouts instead. I was also confused about why the weapon challenges weren't increasing - thanks for explaining that!
Karkadinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
panzerlied

Yeah, xp is nerfed a bit when playing Exterimanatus, mainly because the horde of enemies you have to fight. It is a grind, but I gained my last few levels playing Exterminatus because to me it's just too damn fun. As far as versus is concerned, I'm not a huge fan of it because of the constant host migration and lag that can slap you out of nowhere. Not only that but there's a pretty rampant lack of teamwork on most game modes, which doesn't exactly inspire me to go defend my battle brothers.
panzerlied is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine