Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane

Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
TheWickedGerman

The offical release is in approx. 12 hours, on the 8th of may.

What exactly is your problem?
TheWickedGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
Penthouse32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickedGerman View Post
The offical release is in approx. 12 hours, on the 8th of may.

What exactly is your problem?
His problem is derp, ignore him.
Penthouse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
KouDy

Well the game if i am not mistaken should be out in about 4 hours (iirc, not sure). I only hope Valve learned from their mistakes from completly failed Defenders of Ardania launch.

And yes, please ignore me, i might be even right on my statements, that's what some people don't like
KouDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #34
retrox

WarLOCKED: Master of Anticipation

I see an all-nighter coming in my near future.
retrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
TheWickedGerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KouDy View Post
Well the game if i am not mistaken should be out in about 4 hours (iirc, not sure). I only hope Valve learned from their mistakes from completly failed Defenders of Ardania launch.

And yes, please ignore me, i might be even right on my statements, that's what some people don't like
The offical release on Steam is in 11 hours not in 4, you are complaining that you can´t play before release.

If this game can be played wihtout steam earlier (not sure if there are non-steam version), you should have bought a non-steam copy. Steam indicates clearly when it will be released. You bought it on gamersgate, so if they gave you a false information when the game will be available, it´s their fault, not Steams.

If it´s a mandatory Steam game, it´s nobody´s fault, as the release date is at a certain time, and they will release it then.

Last edited by TheWickedGerman: 05-07-2012 at 11:16 PM.
TheWickedGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #36
KouDy

No you don't understand my point. Valve is not publisher of the game to say when the game is out. They are merely a shop with software you must use.
Yes GG clearly states you need Steam there is no problem with that. Problem is that Valve is likely here in position of telling us when we are allowed to play or not. But they should not be in such position because again they are not publisher. That is my whole concern. I know i will have to wait for it. Just expressing my opinion and suggestion how Valve should fix "problem" they are causing.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #37
{Yotsuba}

You realise you can't download it from GG right? They will just give you a Steam key on release day.

Actually, GamersGate supply downloads similar to buying a Steamworks game at retail and getting the install files on the disc. Further, they have already released the game so it can be downloaded now, but will remain unplayable until Valve finally get around to unlocking it.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #38
KouDy

Oh wow. This is first game i bought there that gives out only keys and no client. Interesting. Waiting for Valve then.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #39
madmarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post
You realise you can't download it from GG right? They will just give you a Steam key on release day.

Actually, GamersGate supply downloads similar to buying a Steamworks game at retail and getting the install files on the disc. Further, they have already released the game so it can be downloaded now, but will remain unplayable until Valve finally get around to unlocking it.
I don't have a download link on Gamersgate, just an activation code.
madmarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #40
Pheace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KouDy View Post
No you don't understand my point. Valve is not publisher of the game to say when the game is out. They are merely a shop with software you must use.
Yes GG clearly states you need Steam there is no problem with that. Problem is that Valve is likely here in position of telling us when we are allowed to play or not. But they should not be in such position because again they are not publisher. That is my whole concern. I know i will have to wait for it. Just expressing my opinion and suggestion how Valve should fix "problem" they are causing.
Ahhh, it's another one of those 'Steam's controlling me' people.

I don't see what's hard to understand. The game has a single release date, a single release time, worldwide. And yes, that release date is based on the US time zone. Why would it release at 24 different times?

It's baffling how you're blaming Steam for the game's release date, even though it's probably releasing right when it's supposed to. If anything you should blame GG for not educating you that the release date is US based, and that it might not have released at 0:00 right away.
Pheace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #41
Chubz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheace View Post
Ahhh, it's another one of those 'Steam's controlling me' people.

I don't see what's hard to understand. The game has a single release date, a single release time, worldwide. And yes, that release date is based on the US time zone. Why would it release at 24 different times?

It's baffling how you're blaming Steam for the game's release date, even though it's probably releasing right when it's supposed to. If anything you should blame GG for not educating you that the release date is US based, and that it might not have released at 0:00 right away.
I agree 100%. I don't see the problem here. I truly don't.
Chubz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #42
overread

I think some people need to realise that games and deals appearing on Steam isn't (so far as I'm aware) an automated process. It's a manual* one done by a Steam worker - as such they'll only generally enable content when someone is in the office to do so. (which is why it won't enable at times outside of the US time zone).

*I'm pretty sure on this because many a time I've seen games get put up with the wrong % deal within the first few moments of a sale going live (generally during the bug summer/winter sales). Heck I nabbed a copy of DoW Retribution at 75% off that way instead of the 50% that it was set to only 5 minutes later.
Plus I'm sure we've all see the page go a little mad when new things appear and the links get enabled (and random ones pop up leading nowhere )
overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #43
{Yotsuba}

That would be the first Steamworks game I've heard of like that. All the ones I've purchased from them, excluding DLC, has come with a download link. It doesn't change the fact though, that although it's now released on their service, it remains unplayable due to Steam.

Not generally a major problem with a base game, but there have been times when DLC has been released on GamersGate first, the code subsequently registered to Steam, and the game being broken as a result of Steam not having the DLC released. Leaving people without access to their game for either several hours or several days (in one case).

That's why it's no longer advisable to register Steam keys until you're certain the content is available for download.

Of course, these waits are of no real issue to those in the US, but for those in other regions it can mean not being able to play the game for an additional day. This game, being a good example, it was 4pm my time when it released on GamersGate. It won't unlock on Steam until after 2am. So while I could have played it this evening, now it won't be playable until tomorrow evening.

If anything you should blame GG for not educating you that the release date is US based, and that it might not have released at 0:00 right away.

GamersGate release games when the publisher tells them they can. So if anything, the publisher should be held accountable for not ensuring that the game was available for download on Steam prior to the time and date they gave GamersGate for releasing the game there.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #44
KouDy

Quote:

That would be the first Steamworks game I've heard of like that. All the ones I've purchased from them, excluding DLC, has come with a download link. It doesn't change the fact though, that although it's now released on their service, it remains unplayable due to Steam.

Not generally a major problem with a base game, but there have been times when DLC has been released on GamersGate first, the code subsequently registered to Steam, and the game being broken as a result of Steam not having the DLC released. Leaving people without access to their game for either several hours or several days (in one case).

That's why it's no longer advisable to register Steam keys until you're certain the content is available for download.

Of course, these waits are of no real issue to those in the US, but for those in other regions it can mean not being able to play the game for an additional day. This game, being a good example, it was 4pm my time when it released on GamersGate. It won't unlock on Steam until after 2am. So while I could have played it this evening, now it won't be playable until tomorrow evening.

If anything you should blame GG for not educating you that the release date is US based, and that it might not have released at 0:00 right away.

GamersGate release games when the publisher tells them they can. So if anything, the publisher should be held accountable for not ensuring that the game was available for download on Steam prior to the time and date they gave GamersGate for releasing the game there.
Agree with this.

But how publisher can make sure that they make it available on steam which is not their platform? But yes in here obviously easier solution is that you will tell others to not to give out keys too soon before Steam.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #45
targetbsp

Quote:

That would be the first Steamworks game I've heard of like that. All the ones I've purchased from them, excluding DLC, has come with a download link.
I on the other hand have never had a download link on a third party site for a Steam only game. What use is a download link from another provider for a Steam only game? Yes for those available in both Steam and non-Steam versions but Steam only?

Quote:

Steam appear to have worked around this. I tried registering my DLC (after the base game) and it wouldn't let me until the base game is released.
Quote:
gamersgate give you the keys on day of release (or day of pre-load if applicable) but Steams time of doing everything is well known to most around here surely?
Why would you want gamersgate to give you the key at the same time as release? You'll save precious seconds by having the key entered before release! And then you'll only have Valve Time to potentially delay you getting your game rather than the possibility of both Steam and GG running into issues at release time?

Last edited by targetbsp: 05-08-2012 at 03:10 AM.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warlock - Master of the Arcane