Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Vegerot21

Lightbulb I didn't expect that to be so low

http://cl.ly/200E1j2z3a3S3z3p013n

I didn't expect less than 0.08% of all Steam on Mac users are on MacBook Airs. I would assume that there would be more...

I'm also surprised that so many people still use the old MacBooks...
Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
skippy72294

Okay and...? The macbook air's aren't that good for much other than portability. Terrible GPU's on them.
skippy72294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Gotquack

If they're gaming on an air I feel bad for them. I only have the most basic Pro while I save money for a real build and it's pretty restricting.
Gotquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
BuffCareBear

Really? You're surprised that people relize a Macbook Air is garbage for gaming? Not trying to be offensive but I always thought it was kind of common sense that a less then an inch laptop is horrible for gaming...
BuffCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
masterchef341

It is actually quite odd. If we're trying to be snooty, we could talk about how the macbook air sucks for gaming. My only answer is that there are a lot of casual games on steam that don't have large system spec reqs, and a large user-base for casual games. Notice that Intel graphics represents 10% of PC users. Being pragmatic, recent macbook airs from 2010+ aren't any worse off than those systems.

If we're trying to make an honest assessment about the survey, you'd have to come to the conclusion that it doesn't add up. The macbook air makes up a huge portion of Apple's laptop sales (~30%). It simply isn't true that there are 200 base macbook users (for all you naysayers- go check the specs of a base macbook, which isn't even in production anymore since 2010) for every 1 macbook air user. The chart is just not presenting it's information correctly.

I think it's pretty clear that the macbook and macbook air are being grouped together under "macbook", and that .08% might represent hackintosh systems, which would be a very rare group of steam users.

Last edited by masterchef341: 05-07-2012 at 12:05 AM.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
BuffCareBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
It is actually quite odd. If we're trying to be snooty, we could talk about how the macbook air sucks for gaming. My only answer is that there are a lot of casual games on steam that don't have large system spec reqs, and a large user-base for casual games. Notice that Intel graphics represents 10% of PC users. Being pragmatic, recent macbook airs from 2010+ aren't any worse off than those systems.

If we're trying to make an honest assessment about the survey, you'd have to come to the conclusion that it doesn't add up. The macbook air makes up a huge portion of Apple's laptop sales (~30%). It simply isn't true that there are 200 base macbook users (for all you naysayers- go check the specs of a base macbook, which isn't even in production anymore since 2010) for every 1 macbook air user. The chart is just not presenting it's information correctly.

I think it's pretty clear that the macbook and macbook air are being grouped together under "macbook", and that .08% might represent hackintosh systems, which would be a very rare group of steam users.
That last bit seems to make sense. Didn't think about hacintosh systems.
BuffCareBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems