Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Healarn

Quake Discussion

Hello all Quake fans!

There are probably quite a few of you who have been playing the series of Quake since the release back in 1996. Therefore I got a few questions for you!
As I have recently started, playing "Quake Live".
Are there any tips & tricks to be given or even a Youtube Video beeing linked?

Which of the following Quake games is the most preferable and why?

Quake
Quake II
Quake III
Quake 4
*Quake Live*

Which of the mentioned games are most populated?

What could be improved to increase the gaming experience?

If the choice was between Counterstrike 1.6 and a Quake game what would you pick? M0tivate!

PS I have quite alot of experience in TF2

PPS On question nr.3 I would pick Quake

//Sincerly Skuten
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
nirgoren

1)Quake 1 singerplayer-wise, best level design. Quake 3/live multiplayer-wise.
2)Most populated is quake live as far as I know.
3)Not much has to be improved... Can't point a specific thing(Unless more players counts)
4)I'd take Quake over CS 1.6, no question.
nirgoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
sstass

Right off the bat: If you want to play Q3Live and not get slaughtered, you will need to master bunny hopping, and weapon combos. Rocket jumps and plasma climbs can be useful but are rarely used in deathmatches. Just google those terms for instructions. Takes a lot of practice, this game has a learning curve that's about as steep as the Grand Canyon. Hint on weapon combos - bind your guns to keys around WASD, so you don't have to move your hand around the keyboard too much. Also use unused mouse buttons (right-click should be JUMP for proper hopping, btw). Your common combos are Lightning+Rail and Plasma+Rail. If executed properly, you get a kill within 3-4 sec on the opponent with 200/200 HP/Armor.

Quake 1 and Quake 2 are more single-player oriented games. Although, they both have great MP, you won't find many populated servers nearby (if any). Both games have a plethora of expansions. All are pretty good. Also, graphical overhauls are available for both games that make them look about as good as Quake 4 (without touching the gameplay).

Quake 4 was sort of a disappointment in the series for the fans. It wasn't as hardcore of a MP battle machine, as previous games. Noobs and casuals will enjoy it, however. Besides, there is a decent single player game.

Understand this - all Quake games are unrelated and all are very good, classic first person shooters. You just gotta play them all - it's worth it.

As far, as comparing to CS 1.6 or even Source... Well, there is no comparison. Completely different gameplay. Q3L is just extremely quick and unforgiving with the only objective to kill the other team/opponent. Duels are somewhat popular, too. Smaller maps like DM6 are pretty fun to sort things out 1-on-1. Duels are hard though. To be successful, you have to learn the map by heart, count every item's respawn time, and have a perfect hopping line through the map to maintain control. That's on top of reading your enemy and having good aim.

I must admit, however, I do enjoy killing slow nights in CSS more so than Q3L. Quake 3 is always business, takes all of your concentration. CSS is good for chatting and trolling people while drinking my coffee and spraying pr0n sprays. When I do play Q3, it's hard to switch to anything else afterwards. All other games are just frustratingly slow and you feel handicapped because everything seems to be in slow-mo. lol.

I hope that helped
sstass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
chest_rockwell

"Are there any tips & tricks to be given or even a Youtube Video beeing linked?"

first of all master the timing of items around the map. make yourself a waypoint so taht you can control certain area of the map (around red armor, railgun, launcher etc..) if you make yourself a good waypoint and just keep controlling the items in the way, you get better with movement - jumps - accuracy with time on each map.

and you can just search for trickjumps for each map. there should be plenty on utube
chest_rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
theexotickuribo

I would pick Quake over Counterstrike 1.6 since its my favourite of the series and one of my most favourite games.
theexotickuribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Falcrist

Best Single Player: Quake
Best Multi-Player: Quake 3/Quake Live

Quake 2 had ok single player, and excellent multi-player and mods, but it didn't stack up to Quake 1.
Quake 4 has mediocre single player, and good multi-player. It's the least popular Quake in the series.

I can't wait for Quake 5. They're going back to the original Quake story/style. Hopefully they create levels that are at least half as good as the original.
Falcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
arisaka

Best singleplayer: Quake 1
Best multiplayer: Quake Live

Any improvements: Well, Q1 and 2 really need more players.

I'm not going to try comparing Quake and CS. I love both series but they're completely different.
arisaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
SLDrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstass View Post
Understand this - all Quake games are unrelated and all are very good, classic first person shooters. You just gotta play them all - it's worth it.
Quake 4 is a direct sequel to Quake 2. Q4 starts up right after Q2. It's stated several times including right in the beginning cut scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcrist View Post

I can't wait for Quake 5. They're going back to the original Quake story/style. Hopefully they create levels that are at least half as good as the original.
They'll need to get John Romero and American McGee back to make that happen. Well, and for god sakes don't let Tim Wilits touch level design, or writing, or production, actually put him on a long paid vacation...and hire Tom Hall back damn it!!!!
SLDrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
rust0r1

For anyone looking to play Quakeworld, it is alive and well in both North American and Europe.

Get "Game Scanner" located here: Gamescanner, this will allow you to find servers to play on.

Come by #NA-QUAKEWORLD on irc.quakenet.org we have an active channel and play on a nightly basis! If you have questions or need help getting quake running we can work on that too with you.

Also check out NA-QUAKEWORLD Website for more files/info

Rusty`
rust0r1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series