Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Gh0stw4lker

Red face Hackers w/o Steam IDs.

How do you track hackers that don't have Steam IDs?

I downloaded the reporting tool from http://xifon.eu/mwsart/ thinking that I would be able to just upload the theater files for review. (The hacker was so blatant, you CAN'T possibly miss them. Headshots while sighting through walls/corners, and once they had enough kills, they were spawning everyone else on the opposing team in front of their AH-6 in mid-air. If players on the same team got too close to them, we'd start to levitate until we were at about bomber level above the map...)

Here's the problem: The name of the hacking player was, "....."
(Yup, I had to grab the name from screenshots and then dig through charmap to even find out how the F to get it on here...)
They don't show up as having a Steam ID. There's no match to that name either when I manually search Steam profiles, or in the list within the report tool.

I've got screenshots and know that they're in the demo, but it looks like it's going to fall off the list of available demos if I play another map or two.

So how do I report them?

[And as a complete aside: What do hackers get from this? What I mean is, what's the appeal? It's got to be boring to load a map knowing that you'll automatically kill anything that moves, so what's the point? Maybe I'm just not nefarious enough, but I don't see the attraction... Is there a point that I just don't get?]
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Russian Bear

Reporting is useless. VAC does not ban from reports or any form of evidence. It is 100% automated.
Russian Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
DarkLite123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Bear View Post
Reporting is useless. VAC does not ban from reports or any form of evidence. It is 100% automated.
On the other hand, IW and Activision do ban for reports and evidence in the form of theatre files, so he's not wasting his time here.
DarkLite123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Russian Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite123 View Post
On the other hand, IW and Activision do ban for reports and evidence in the form of theatre files, so he's not wasting his time here.
That'll teach me to not read the post properly, just so use to dealing with similar posts about VAC.
Russian Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Satoru

You probably need to report back to the creator of the tool that it doesn't seem to support unicode. Though to be honest having a unicode name should have no impact on how the program pulls your SteamID as that's a totally different thing.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stw4lker View Post
[And as a complete aside: What do hackers get from this? What I mean is, what's the appeal? It's got to be boring to load a map knowing that you'll automatically kill anything that moves, so what's the point? Maybe I'm just not nefarious enough, but I don't see the attraction... Is there a point that I just don't get?]
There are people who feast on other's misery. It's a sad life, but some people can only find fun in pestering others.
Like school bullies, but with the benefit that nobody can punch you back through TCP-IP.

And there are others who really believe (and want to make believe) they are pro players by tampering their stats (up to hilarious levels)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Reloire

I think, the cheater played with pirated version of MW 3. So he doesnt have steam community id.
Reloire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloire View Post
I think, the cheater played with pirated version of MW 3. So he doesnt have steam community id.
This isn't possible given what I know. I thought only hacked copies could play with other hacked copied. They cant play on official channels.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
greboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
This isn't possible given what I know. I thought only hacked copies could play with other hacked copied. They cant play on official channels.
It's more like the OP, by an accident, got thrown into a pirated server. All those players who don't have a steam ID are playing with a pirated version, there's really no exceptions.
greboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greboy View Post
It's more like the OP, by an accident, got thrown into a pirated server. All those players who don't have a steam ID are playing with a pirated version, there's really no exceptions.
That seems more likely. I know it has happened with some CS pirated servers
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
originaljavaman

WOW! Tito feels your pain on the fact that you have a hacker causing problems yet on my thread concerning a known hacker all they can do is flame and troll. Now on to more important questions. Does this tool actually work like it is supposed to in all other ways besides the name issue?
originaljavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Larry1212

I don't think it matters.

There's a hack or a glitch where players can use free games to emulate specific games in the STEAM library. Don't know how it's done but there was a group dedicated to it, they'd wait for free weekends(Before the whole free to play games deal was on STEAM) and simply create a new account in order to play free games but play in games like Modern Warfare 2, etc. It's a huge flaw, I reported the group but i've no idea how it's possible(I'm guessing they simply install the game independently and somehow trick STEAM into thinking a game is different to what it is).
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion