Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight

Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Vespa7

stuttering and frame rate cap

I am getting small stutters while flying. The frame rate is always above 30 fps so I really don't understand why this happens. I noticed that flying with the ICON is very smooth while with the RV-6A is especially annoying.

My PC configuration is:
i5 2500k
HD 6870
8 Giga of RAM
7200 rpm HDD
I play in fullHD with all settings on HIGH

Is it possible to add a frame rate cap (like FSX) to avoid this effect? Maybe there will be an update?

Thank you for suggestions and reply
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
EastCoastGuy

I noticed the same thing, especially with the RV-6. Under the graphics options, I un-checked Vertical Sync. That got rid of most of my stuttering.

(Vertical Sync prevents "screen tearing" - but I prefer a little bit of that to constant stuttering. The RV-6 has the prop in front, so you may notice some screen tearing inside the circle of the prop.)
EastCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
stonelance

Microsoft Games Studios
Some users in the AVSIM forum have reported the same behavior. Apparently they were able to fix the stuttering by installing some 3rd party screen capture software and leaving it running in the background (I don't remember the name of the program or the thread, perhaps another kind user on here can remember it).

We made some changes for the next update that should improve the smoothness with v-sync on. Hopefully this fixes this problem without having to run the 3rd party software, but I'm not really sure since I've never been able to reproduce the problem on my machine.
stonelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Vespa7

@ stonelance

What are your machine specification?
Do you have a SSD?

I will do a research on the AVSIM forum but I prefer waiting the update and I will tell you if it works ;-)
Vespa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
stonelance

Microsoft Games Studios
Not at work, no. I'm guessing I just don't have a beefy enough machine. It seems the problem happens more frequently on high end systems. I will have to use it as an excuse to get the boss to buy me a new one
stonelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
EastCoastGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelance View Post
We made some changes for the next update that should improve the smoothness with v-sync on. Hopefully this fixes this problem without having to run the 3rd party software, but I'm not really sure since I've never been able to reproduce the problem on my machine.
Good to hear -- thanks!
EastCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
RoboRay

Quote:
Not at work, no. I'm guessing I just don't have a beefy enough machine. It seems the problem happens more frequently on high end systems. I will have to use it as an excuse to get the boss to buy me a new one
For Science!!!
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
crusader58

Quote:
I think the problem maybe driver related, the ATI latest drivers are a joke..I've reverted to their last stable drivers (12.1) and no stuttering.
crusader58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Vespa7

@stonelance
Thank you, I thought that the problem could have been the loading speed from hd...happy to hear it is not so at the same time, what a bad news

@ RoboRay

@crusader58
I will try a downgrade...if I found the drivers
Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
crusader58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa7 View Post
@crusader58
I will try a downgrade...if I found the drivers
If you use the ATI graphics drivers, you will find a link to 'previous drivers and software' at the lower-right of the Driver Download screen. (I would post a link, but the pages are OS specific ..i.e. - i use Windows 7 64bit and you may use 32 bit)
crusader58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
Vespa7

I 've done all the things you suggested to me. but nothing...

I have also updated the game but the problem still persists...

I found that using a fps limiter like bandicam reduces the problem but is still noticeable.

Is someone playing the game with an and 6870 (or similar) like me? How many frames do you get? which settings?

Ok flight is a lot better than fsx, but why I can play crysis at maximum settings without any issue and if I play flight at HIGH settings I obtain only fair results? Stuttering is very annoying because reduce the sensation of a real flight...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
STRacer

Games like Crysis and others of the FirstPersonShooters are different....you are not running or driving a vehicle at 300+ kts. Your view is limited unlike in Flight. That is why it took MS a long time to come out with support for 3d cards in their flight sims. They still dont use the full muscles of cards processors, but they do use all the availiable ram your card has....so if you upgrade, look for a card with the most ram. I just got done flying with the new update and I noticed a big difference in FPS. I am using an Nvidia 8800GT with only 500 megs of ram onboard and I don't have any stuttering at all with most of my settings on HIGH....try lowering some of them to tweek it into submission.
STRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #13
Robinicus

Quote:
I 've done all the things you suggested to me. but nothing...

I have also updated the game but the problem still persists...

I found that using a fps limiter like bandicam reduces the problem but is still noticeable.

Is someone playing the game with an and 6870 (or similar) like me? How many frames do you get? which settings?

Ok flight is a lot better than fsx, but why I can play crysis at maximum settings without any issue and if I play flight at HIGH settings I obtain only fair results? Stuttering is very annoying because reduce the sensation of a real flight...

I am using a 4870HD with the following settings:

Vert Sync & Full Screen both checked
1920 x 1080 (I use a 42" LCD TV for my monitor)
Shadow - medium
Sharpness - maximum
Scenery desnity - high
Scenery quality - maximum
Texture quality - high
Weather quality - medium

I am using the Catalyst 12.4 drivers and am having no issues

@Stonelance - couldn't find the post at Avsim you were talking about but does FRAPS sound familiar?
Robinicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
Vespa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinicus View Post
I am using a 4870HD with the following settings:

Vert Sync & Full Screen both checked
1920 x 1080 (I use a 42" LCD TV for my monitor)
Shadow - medium
Sharpness - maximum
Scenery desnity - high
Scenery quality - maximum
Texture quality - high
Weather quality - medium

I am using the Catalyst 12.4 drivers and am having no issues

@Stonelance - couldn't find the post at Avsim you were talking about but does FRAPS sound familiar?
thank you for the answer.
how many frames do you get?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #15
JeanPierre_SE

Quote:
how many frames do you get?
How can I count frames ?

Regards from Barcelona
JeanPierre_SE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight