Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source

Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
LethallyYours

CSS sprays saved in cache?

I was playing in a Thai server and they had some indecent sprays inside, are these sprays saved to my cache? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
LethallyYours

or are these sprays temporary?
LethallyYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
NCPereira

I already answered you in the other topic. They are NOT saved in your computer. No need to post the same thing twice.
NCPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Traitor Duck

Sprays in CSS end up in \\Steam\steamapps\[Steam account name]\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials\temp\

If you want to be rid of them from your computer you should just have to delete the files within that folder.
Traitor Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
NCPereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Duck View Post
Sprays in CSS end up in \\Steam\steamapps\[Steam account name]\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials\temp\

If you want to be rid of them from your computer you should just have to delete the files within that folder.
What he was asking was if he was playing in some random online server and someone else on the server used a spray, if it would be saved in his end. This is false. Other people sprays are not saved on your computer.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
MithranArkanere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPereira View Post
I already answered you in the other topic. They are NOT saved in your computer. No need to post the same thing twice.
ANYTHING you see on screen is stored in some way in your computer, either in disk or just in memory, but they ALWAYS are.

Sprays from other players will be seen even if you disable custom content.

They will not appear in your list of custom sprays, but they will be somewhere in disk.
In this case, the location with be the one Traitor Duck said, as vtf files.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
LethallyYours

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPereira View Post
Sorry mate, this was already posted by the time I asked the question in the other thread. I appologise for the irritance caused (if any) and I thank you for replying.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
NCPereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithranArkanere View Post
ANYTHING you see on screen is stored in some way in your computer, either in disk or just in memory, but they ALWAYS are.

Sprays from other players will be seen even if you disable custom content.

They will not appear in your list of custom sprays, but they will be somewhere in disk.
In this case, the location with be the one Traitor Duck said, as vtf files.
Thank you for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethallyYours View Post
Sorry mate, this was already posted by the time I asked the question in the other thread. I appologise for the irritance caused (if any) and I thank you for replying.
Not at all, I was just warning.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
MithranArkanere

What I don't know is how long they'll be there.

In my folder there were files that were 2 years old. So they'll me be there forever until deleted, or until a total size is reached, or until a 'clear cache' console command of some kind is used.

Maybe someone else will know that.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Perducci

Yes, they are stored on your computer in the temporary folder listed above. I recently went through my TF2 temporary folder and found tons of old sprays from other people. It actually added up to a few hundred MB over the course of a few years.

I'd definitely recommend deleting everything in the temp folder every now and then just to clear up space. It's not really useful to have a copy of all those sprays on your computer forever. Sure, each image is only a few KB but if you play long enough that space will add up.
Perducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
richard.eid

To find and remove the sprays you've seen from other players you'll want to navigate to:

..\Steam\steamapps\username\counter-strike source\cstrike\downloads

These are downloaded from the server each time you connect and whenever new players join during your play session. Sprays in here are saved as .dat files, though anything in this folder should be safe to remove. These files will remain here permanently until you manually remove them and there should pretty much be one file for every player you've ever been on the same server with.
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
LethallyYours

Thanks a lot, guys. Much appreciated. I didn't know that the spray thing would be so huge. That's a little scary since I have been in tf2 servers where they had and stuff as sprays.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source