Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
rcs2k4

Angry The .NET Framework 4 Installer and Railworks....

Does anyone else get the installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 come up every time they run Railworks from a steam shortcut? It does it every time, and it takes 5 minutes or so so apparently install this (It's actually already installed). Someone else on my Steam Friends also has it, and it does it to them also?

Also worth noting is in Steam when I launch, it says "Starting first time installation". Fantastic, has anyone else had this and been able to fix it?

Edit:
System Details - Windows 7 64, FX-8150, 16GB RAM, 6870's Crossfire.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Wotawally

Common problem with many threads on the subject. I suggest you use the Search facility and search for "Net Framework"
Wotawally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Ragnokak

This is a VERY common issue for people.
The fastest way to fix this is to simply change the name of the Install folder. This makes it so the .EXE can't find it to run the programs in there and by just changing the name it is it's own backup should you wish to re-install those items.

What I did:
..:\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Install
changed to
..:\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\xInstall

One little "x" and your problem goes away.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
zm4r

The first thing that you may want to try is running the Windows Troubleshooter to resolve any problems that prevent Windows Update from working properly.

Windows 7 users find the troubleshooter when they click on the Start orb, select Control Panel > Troubleshooting and there the Fix problems with Windows Update link.

I don't have this problem. Not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth trying.
When I checked Windows Updates historylist, I had a problem with Windows defender, definitions and Microsoft Silverlight. Like I said, I never had the problem with Framework 4.

Grtz
Erik
zm4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
rcs2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnokak View Post
The fastest way to fix this is to simply change the name of the Install folder. This makes it so the .EXE can't find it to run the programs in there and by just changing the name it is it's own backup should you wish to re-install those items.

What I did:
changed to

That did the trick, thanks a lot +1 to your rep.
rcs2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
zm4r

A trick, nothing more nothing less.

Grtz Erik
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Ericmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs2k4 View Post
Does anyone else get the installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 come up every time they run Railworks from a steam shortcut? It does it every time, and it takes 5 minutes or so so apparently install this (It's actually already installed). Someone else on my Steam Friends also has it, and it does it to them also?

Also worth noting is in Steam when I launch, it says "Starting first time installation". Fantastic, has anyone else had this and been able to fix it?

Edit:
System Details - Windows 7 64, FX-8150, 16GB RAM, 6870's Crossfire.
Yes, it happens to me after I try to reinstall the sim.
If I uninstall everything including .NET Framework 4.0 Extended, then reinstall Railworks the problem is solved.
I shouldn't have to do that though.
The program should recognize that .NET 4 Extended is already on the machine during a fresh install.
I've been doing repeated clean reinstalls trying to figure out why Railworks loses grade crossings etc. My program ran good off the retail disk, but after Steam updates it, there are more and more glitches.

I've tried doing a clean uninstall more than once, and turning off the automatic updates for the program when reinstalling, but to no avail.
Once you have a Steam account it will update you and any settings for Career, Graphics etc, whether you like it or not.

Steam is clearly a bad way to market this Simulator.

Doing a clean uninstall is easy on this machine too. Railworks has it's own dedicated drive, so all I have to do after uninstalling from "Programs and Features" is delete the "Games" folder on my drive (E).

The problems with Steam and the updates are making this program more trouble than it's worth the last few weeks.
Ericmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
zm4r

It looks like you used method 2 and I used method 1, but the result is the same.
Thanks for the confirmation, hopefully repairing .net works for everyone.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB976982

To troubleshoot this issue, you must fix MSI software update registration corruption issues or repair the .NET Framework.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
kn00tcn

no error no problem, when they updated the game some months ago, the .net installer keeps coming up for a second, few if any other games suffer from this

maybe i could hack up the installscript.vdf or make it use a different .net/any installer that will complete & trick steam into not thinking it's a first run
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Ragnokak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn00tcn View Post
no error no problem, when they updated the game some months ago, the .net installer keeps coming up for a second, few if any other games suffer from this

maybe i could hack up the installscript.vdf or make it use a different .net/any installer that will complete & trick steam into not thinking it's a first run
There is no need to get so intrusive with your methods to solve the issue.

Erik's advice will solve the issue if you take the time to read it and want to spend the time running through the steps, otherwise my work-around takes 60 seconds.

There simply is no need to hack anything and over-think the problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
md11lm

Like your new profile Rag, copyrighted is it?

Clickity-clackeroo's,

Peter
md11lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
joeposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnokak View Post

What I did:
changed to

After I ran the update, I ended up with a new Install folder, and it launched the Net Framework installation again. So other users with this idiotic bug will have to rerename the Install folder to avoid the 5 minute delay.
joeposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Tealus

For some reason the railworks NET framework install returns "errors" even when it's successful (as in nothing to update). I just grab a different NET install program from another game and replace it and it return a success code and the installer finish 100% and cleans up as a completely installed.
Tealus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
peter_golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealus View Post
For some reason the railworks NET framework install returns "errors" even when it's successful (as in nothing to update). I just grab a different NET install program from another game and replace it and it return a success code and the installer finish 100% and cleans up as a completely installed.
I had the same problem and I did as you did, and now I don't have the problem. The game starts imediatly. Thanks Tealus.
peter_golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Ragnokak

They seem to have corrected the error. To be upfront this problem has cropped up from time to time over the past few years. I'm presuming it has something to do with .Net updating and version numbers not matching with what Railworks is looking for. Once Railworks is updated to look for the new version number it all pans out.

It's why I don't bother with anything more then just renaming the folder.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks