Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
DeadGuy511

Puzzle Maker to Hammer

Before the new puzzle creator came out, I was already working on some Portal 2 custom maps in hammer. But now I'm trying out the new editor and trying to make really cool maps so I can publish them to the workshop. The puzzle creator doesn't have nearly as many options for creation with models, props, lighting, etc. as Hammer though. But what I like about the puzzle maker is that its REALLY REALLY easy to make the main frame of your map and adding simple obstacles and hazards is easy. So I've made the basic layout of my map in the puzzle maker and have added basic obstacles, but now I want to get the map into Hammer so I can add details and advanced props and stuff. I used to use VMEX with CSS and TF2 maps so that I could convert a BSP map I see in game to a VMF file so that I could edit it in Hammer. I couldn't find my map in the portal 2 folder, but I found the newtestchamber map in the portal2_dlc2 folder and tried to convert it with VMEX, but it wouldn't work.

So the main question is: Where are the Portal 2 Puzzle Creator maps located? And if you can convert am already made Puzzle Creator map(BSP) to a VMF map so I can edit it in Hammer, how would I do that?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
DennisG50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy511 View Post
So the main question is: Where are the Portal 2 Puzzle Creator maps located? And if you can convert am already made Puzzle Creator map(BSP) to a VMF map so I can edit it in Hammer, how would I do that?
As far i know, i saw some stuff there:
...\Steam\Steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\puzzles\
and here:
...\Steam\Steamapps\common\portal 2\sdk_content\maps\preview.vmf

But i really have no idea. ^^; Hope it helps you a bit.
DennisG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Sedushi

This is actually really simple. If all you want to do is take a PeTI map and export it for use in Hammer.

While editing in PeTI type in the console "puzzlemaker_export new_map_name". This will export the .vmf file for your map to "Steam/steamapps/common/portal 2/sdk_content/maps". This would be the easiest way to edit a PeTI map in hammer, which is extremely easy.

If you want to find the .bsp files that PeTI makes than you can find them in "Steam/steamapps/common/portal 2/portal2/maps/puzzlemaker". The only thing with that is the maps in that folder will not have their actual map name, but will instead have numbers for the file name.

Hope this helped.
Sedushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
DeadGuy511

Thank you so much guys! this was really helpful =)
DeadGuy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
schrodingergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedushi View Post

While editing in PeTI type in the console "puzzlemaker_export new_map_name". This will export the .vmf file for your map to "Steam/steamapps/common/portal 2/sdk_content/maps". This would be the easiest way to edit a PeTI map in hammer, which is extremely easy.
Thanks for this!
schrodingergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2