Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
galahad1313

cinematic stuttering

Tried various searches and found nothing on this. I already had FONV installed and i don't remember having this problem with it at the time. Now that I've just installed the Ulimate edition, was going to replay it from the start and do all the dlc's as well. I was encountering constant stuttering during the opening cinematics right after choosing to play a "new" game and wondered why this is happening? Ironically i had the exact same issue recently with Oblivion after not playing it for ages. I had never played it on this new win 7 rig and it still works fine on my xp machine. It stuttered throughout the intro cinematics of oblivion as well.
Now i thought i saw some time ago an article about a similar problem in which someone had mentioned the issue possibly being due to older games being played on quad core systems and i wonder if that's what it is. My old xp machine is an older single core cpu whereas my new machine is an I5 quad core system. Maybe it's not the issue, but if it is, does anyone know of any solutions or workarounds? I image that this will mess up any and all cinematics within the game and dlc's as well which would get annoying fast.

thank you for any help
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
kschang

Should not be the problem. I'm running FNV on I7 quadcore.

Usually stuttering that way is due to hard drive issue. (short on RAM and such).

Are you using "readyboost" (SD card/ USB drive caching)? That may help.
kschang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
LadyCrimson

Lots of people ran FNV on quad-cores (including me, i7) with no issues like that. Sounds like a hardware/software settings/drivers etc. etc. issue to me.

If you have a regular HDD (not a SSD) - Steam game installs tend to frag up the files quite a bit, I've found. Very inefficient installers or something. If you install a lot of games close together it can occasionally be noticeable performance wise. But if the stutter is really horrid, that's probably not it.

What kind of graphic card are you using? Is this new Win7 rig a laptop or a desktop?
LadyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
galahad1313

Smile

Sorry about that. I should have specified my specs 1st. You already know i'm running an I5 quad core but i also have ;

8MB ram
I think my drive is 1TB of sata2(internal drive not ssd and needs upgrading to sata3 maybe)
2X ATI 5850 cards in x-fire mode
onboard audio

If the problem isn't quad cores, i have more than enough ram to run anything and my vid cards have up to date drivers, could it be my audio? I haven't checked the audio drivers lately(though my gut tells me it wouldn't be an audio issue.....but i've been wrong b4 lol). If it happened with ALL my games i'd wonder about audio, but those are the only 2 i have issues with. i just replayed the entire mass effect series with no problems, i forced myself into finishing kingdoms of amalur with no problems and my current mmo's run fine.

I am sooooo confused. I'll try a few new solutions and see what happens like defragging the hdd and check the audio drivers. What i have done so far is tried different resolutions from the default 1280X?? to 1920X1080, i've tried windowed/unwindowed modes and tried removeing vsynch. Any other ideas you folks might have would be appreciated

Wanted to add that i just tried starting the original fallout 3 game and was getting the same stuttering garbage during the intro movie so that's 3 games with the same issue. Have i mentioned how much i hate windows 7? I NEVER had any problems with games until i bought this new rig with it...what a pita. Not an OS designed for gamers that's for sure.

Last edited by galahad1313: 05-10-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: additional information
galahad1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
kschang

Just for grins... Have you tried... disabling X-Fire? I.e. just let ONE video card do it?

We're trying to narrow down the variables that could be causing it.

Also, the cinematics are usually based on BINK

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm

You can download bink player for free. Test it on the video files and see if THAT is the problem.
kschang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
ogreballerina

It's AMD related.

I got the stuttering really bad on my 5970. It was so bad I had to skip the intro.

My 580 GTX is flawless.
ogreballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
galahad1313

Sorry for slow response i just spent a few days in the hopspital after a near heart attack.
Well kschang i did what you recomended for the hell of it. But if anything I'm more confused as to what to do now. Sure enough I switched to a single 5850 card instead of using both of them in x-fire and tried all 3 bethesda games as mentioned before (fo3/foNV/oblivion) and i had no stuttering at all during the intro movies. But now what. does that mean i should run the rest of the game in single card?(true i was told that having both cards was overkill with most games even some newer ones as 1 card alone was powerful enough) or am i safe to keep playing in x-fire and assume that the issue is with Bink and only affects the cinematics.

Not sure what to say about your card ogre if you're running it as a single then i guess your issue may indeed be amd related. Someone with more tech savvy than me will have to answer that one
galahad1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
ogreballerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad1313 View Post
Sorry for slow response i just spent a few days in the hopspital after a near heart attack.
Well kschang i did what you recomended for the hell of it. But if anything I'm more confused as to what to do now. Sure enough I switched to a single 5850 card instead of using both of them in x-fire and tried all 3 bethesda games as mentioned before (fo3/foNV/oblivion) and i had no stuttering at all during the intro movies. But now what. does that mean i should run the rest of the game in single card?(true i was told that having both cards was overkill with most games even some newer ones as 1 card alone was powerful enough) or am i safe to keep playing in x-fire and assume that the issue is with Bink and only affects the cinematics.

Not sure what to say about your card ogre if you're running it as a single then i guess your issue may indeed be amd related. Someone with more tech savvy than me will have to answer that one
The 5970 is a X-Fire card...except you just can't turn one of them off....ever.

Reason I got rid of it and got the 580 GTX.

The 5850 is not over kill for NV..not even close.

Just watch the intro and then turn Cross-fire back on...the only stuttering I had was the intro....game ran fine in X-Fire.

Like I said it ( the intro ) is AMD X-Fire weirdness...as I also got it with a pair of 5870s.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
ogreballerina

And having an SSD does help in big open world games ( FO3, NV, Skyrim etc )
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
noxwyll

Possibly caused by ffdshow.
So here the details about the cinimatic. It is an .bik file.
It might already help to install the rad video tools. http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
Positive effect is that you will be able to watch the cinematic out of game.
Possibly try watching the file out of game which might let it run just fine.

You might have noticed these .bik files tend to be rather lange in size.

Whatever the problem is it should not cause any more problems than on the intro because the game doesn't use any other .bik files so you should not have any other problems than that.

btw the intro is located in data/video/fnvintro.bik

Generally it of course is adviced to update your grafic card drivers etc you usually cant go wrong with that.

There also is a known issue with shuttering in the whole game even tho this might be unrelated you can still try the following mods:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45104
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34970

So and last thought about this is that it could be caused by the x-fire mode which is known for quite some issues.
noxwyll is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series