Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
DudeNtheRoom

Can you use a GFX card that PCI-e 3.0 in a 2.0 slot?

I'm upgrading my GFX card and I have a decent amount to spend. But the slot in my PC is 2.0 and I was going to get a 600 series Nvidia card, but they are all 3.0.

Also, whats a good place to get a GFX card at a decent price that has a good rep besides Tigerdirect or Newegg?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
seseorang

It will work.

For US customers, Newegg seems like the place to get parts online. I see multiple references to it time and time again
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Ahielia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeNtheRoom View Post
I'm upgrading my GFX card and I have a decent amount to spend. But the slot in my PC is 2.0 and I was going to get a 600 series Nvidia card, but they are all 3.0.
My 680 works perfectly fine in my P6T Deluxe (only 2.0 slots) - and according to the 3DMark 11 scores I got, it performs better than other computers running the same hardware (whole computer did actually /epeen)
PCI-E slots are back- and forwards compatible, so the card won't be able to perform 100%, but it's still amazingly fast.

In short; It works just fine, but you won't really notice a difference.
Ahielia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
DudeNtheRoom

Thanks guys.
DudeNtheRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Alshain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seseorang View Post
It will work.

For US customers, Newegg seems like the place to get parts online. I see multiple references to it time and time again
Newegg is the best place to research products (based purely on products specs) because of their extensive website database, and easily filterable/searchable content, this is true globally even if you can't buy from them. You can buy at whatever cheap trustworthy business you want.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
borg_7_of_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post
My 680 works perfectly fine in my P6T Deluxe (only 2.0 slots) - and according to the 3DMark 11 scores I got, it performs better than other computers running the same hardware (whole computer did actually /epeen)
PCI-E slots are back- and forwards compatible, so the card won't be able to perform 100%, but it's still amazingly fast.

In short; It works just fine, but you won't really notice a difference.
actually it well perform at 100% games are not using all the available PCI-E v2 Bandwidth, there still only using around 5/8 of the available bandwidth
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
actually it well perform at 100% games are not using all the available PCI-E v2 Bandwidth, there still only using around 5/8 of the available bandwidth
What he said. PCIe 3.0 is a future standard for triple and quad SLI/Crossfire setups that eventually overtake the PCIe 2.0 bandwidth capacity (this is a ways off yet). As of right now there is nothing that saturates the PCIe 2.0 bus, and a single card setup comes nowhere even close.

The PCIe standard and fully backwards compatible, so no worries there. PCIe 4.0 is already under development.
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems