Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Zack771

Transfer games between accounts

I suggest creating a process that can help retrieve the game from an old to a new steam account.
Because I bought games on an old account (VAC banned), some of them on store, other on steam, and I like to transferred them to my new account, but without this having any VAC ban my new account, for example adding something that allows the CD key recovered from these games (purchased on Steam), and anything else that allows the CD key off the games in question (which will delete the game on the account) in order to reactivate this key on another account.

It would take a very secure way to transfer games entered accounts, and I think this would benefit a lot of people.

Cordially Zack771
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
GusTheCrocodile

So...you're asking for a way to make VAC bans pointless?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Anarchisteve

This would effectively enable used game sales on Steam, something the developers/publishers are generally very much against and would cause a lot of them to abandon Steam. So it is unlikely to happen.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Zack771

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheCrocodile View Post
So...you're asking for a way to make VAC bans pointless?
No because i've bought a new compte with CS:S but now i've stop cheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Anarchisteve
This would effectively enable used game sales on Steam, something the developers/publishers are generally very much against and would cause a lot of them to abandon Steam. So it is unlikely to happen.
It's for that i say : "It would take a very secure way to transfer games entered accounts, and I think this would benefit a lot of people."
But it's really that can happenned...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
cylon

The VAC 'flag' tells people that you have been caught cheating (waits for people to give other reasons...), however your other games still work fine and you are only banned from the one that you cheated in (early games pre L4D are by engine however).

So either you want to move games that you aren't banned in to another account (which doesn't do anything) OR you want to move your banned games (which you'd need to be banned again on the new account). You can't "BUY" your VAC ban away (unless you get a new copy on a new account of course)

- It also allows people who get into other users accounts to move their games elsewhere. More hassle for Steam Support!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
slovenian89

No, they want you to buy the game(s) on a new account.

This would create so much abuse if it was implemented, not to mention making VAC bans even more useless than they already are.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
GDL

Sorry but I cannot agree to this due to the reasons stated above.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
alienjoe123

what if vac banned accounts had it disabled.

and what if you had to give a game of equal value for it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Zack771

In this case it would be something like: we have the right to transfer the games only one time and if there are VAC banned there is no more possibility to transferring the games again ?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
slovenian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack771 View Post
In this case it would be something like: we have the right to transfer the games only one time and if there are VAC banned there is no more possibility to transferring the games again ?
Possibly, but why would they implement this when they could make money off of people buying a new copy of a game or multiple games? Plus I don't know how they would keep track of which games have been transferred already, not all games use keys.

Seems like a hassle for them to implement yet they would get nothing out of it, they would actually lose money from the additional sales they get due to the lack of this process. Think about it from their end, the business side.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Bty

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovenian89 View Post
Possibly, but why would they implement this when they could make money off of people buying a new copy of a game or multiple games? Plus I don't know how they would keep track of which games have been transferred already, not all games use keys.

Seems like a hassle for them to implement yet they would get nothing out of it, they would actually lose money from the additional sales they get due to the lack of this process. Think about it from their end, the business side.
Because it's my right to lend and sell games I own?

And if you so much sympathize with poor Steam losing money, how about we put a limit on how much time can you play a game? I mean it's not fair that you play a game for more then 50 hours, they are losing money if you don't buy a new game to pass your time.

Last edited by Bty: 05-11-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
Verminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bty View Post
Because it's my right to lend and sell games I own?
Except that you don't own the game, or even a copy of the game. What you own is a non-transferable licence to play the game.

Now whether you agree with this way of doing business or not is irrelevant, its the business model that Valve/Steam and the other publishers have chosen and that you agreed to when you created the account and bought the "games".
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #13
Bty

Even if I signed it, it still doesn't make it a legally so.

What we need is some rich guy who had enough of this and take Steam to the court. Then we will have an answer, but until then Steam can write their own laws, just don't expect me to believe they are morally right.

Between a physical copy and online activation we have lost the right to own a game. This has to stop.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
GDL

Quote:
Between a physical copy and online activation we have lost the right to own a game. This has to stop.
Even physical copies of games you never owned.
You have always owned a license to use the game\software.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #15
wildfire678

Quote:
Even if I signed it, it still doesn't make it a legally so.
This old chestnut, let me tell you how this hogwash came about...

In the past many publishers printed their EULA inside a package and it was only after opening the package the EULA was readable, if you refused the EULA terms many stores would refuse a refund (because the package was opened).

This is not the case with steam, you can read the EULA before making any purchase (if you choose not to do so that is your problem).

Obviously the EULA cannot breach your statuary rights but I'd be surprised if steam/valve's does in any jurisdiction.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas