Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Caster

Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
rafaelff1

Mouse cursor going to upper-left corner like crazy. Linux

Hi there.

I'm testing the demo version in my 64-bit Archlinux with Gnome3. I install it in my home folder without problem using normal install procedure and start it with "padsp ./caster.bin" (without forcing pulseaudio wrapper, I get segfault during the startup).

In the menu screen my problem starts: the keep going to upper-left corner of the window. When I move it, it 'resets' to a point in the window and then move up-left again.

Any idea where the problem might be or where should be looking for to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
elecorn

Caster Master
I think we use the SDL libraries for the mouse input handling on Linux. You may want to play with getting the correct version of that.

I'll let the guy who did the Linux know and see what he says.

Thanks!
elecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Svartalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelff1 View Post
Hi there.

I'm testing the demo version in my 64-bit Archlinux with Gnome3. I install it in my home folder without problem using normal install procedure and start it with "padsp ./caster.bin" (without forcing pulseaudio wrapper, I get segfault during the startup).
I'll check into that one. Sound shouldn't do that right now since we moved to another framework for the Linux version.

Quote:
In the menu screen my problem starts: the keep going to upper-left corner of the window. When I move it, it 'resets' to a point in the window and then move up-left again.

Any idea where the problem might be or where should be looking for to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance
What user input devices do you have? There's a known issue with some models of Microsoft's Sidewinder mice that present themselves incorrectly as a joypad in addition to being a mouse. Past that, there's liable to be a HID device doing something along those lines.
Svartalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
rafaelff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf
I'll check into that one. Sound shouldn't do that right now since we moved to another framework for the Linux version.
Thanks. Sadly, I've got no more information. I ran gdb and strace, but I think didn't much useful information. Anyway, I'll expecting next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf
What user input devices do you have? There's a known issue with some models of Microsoft's Sidewinder mice that present themselves incorrectly as a joypad in addition to being a mouse. Past that, there's liable to be a HID device doing something along those lines.
Indedd I have a Microsoft wireless kit: Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 and Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1.

I removed both (even with only the keyboard the mouse went crazy) and tested with a Logitech M325 mouse and a generic keyboard... it really works! I was able to play without issues.

Do you think this problem with Microsoft can solved?

Thanks!

Last edited by rafaelff1: 05-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.
rafaelff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
elecorn

Caster Master
Since we currently handle both joypad AND keyboard at the same time in Caster, I don't think we can fix that particular issue with the Microsoft mice. We could lock you to one device over the other, but I like having the freedom of using both whenever.

With so many hardware configurations out there, I'm hesitant to compromise features in the game for one or a pieces of hardware. If it becomes a more widespread issue, it may warrant addressing.

Thanks for your feedback!

I hope you enjoy the game!
elecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
rafaelff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecorn View Post
Since we currently handle both joypad AND keyboard at the same time in Caster, I don't think we can fix that particular issue with the Microsoft mice. We could lock you to one device over the other, but I like having the freedom of using both whenever.

With so many hardware configurations out there, I'm hesitant to compromise features in the game for one or a pieces of hardware. If it becomes a more widespread issue, it may warrant addressing.

Thanks for your feedback!

I hope you enjoy the game!
I enjoyed the full game, thanks. I'll waiting for an update for more maps and stuff

Cheers
rafaelff1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Caster