Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Toki Tori series > Toki Tori

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Grulps

Portal 2 maps

Here are my maps:
Chamber 1
Chamber 2
Chamber 3

It's surprisingly hard to desing difficult or interesting Portal maps. I feel like one portal gun is just way too little. It's like trying to make a Toki Tori level with only 2 items.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
G.Lecter

Here's my first Portal2 map! I'd love someone to try to solve/break it:
The Back and Forth Hall

Last edited by G.Lecter: 07-03-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Grulps

I think I just broke your map. I can't record it due to lack of proper screen capture software. Maybe I'll show it to moldy_tomato and he can capture it.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
G.Lecter

I have never tried it but you can record ingame demos with the developer console:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Demo_Recording_Tools
Basic recording and playback:
To record a game, type in console 'record "name"', while the file name shouldn't have any special characters or spaces. The demo file (.dem extension) is saved in your current game directory, e.g. '\hl2\name.dem'. You can start recording anytime within a running game and stop recording with the stop command. If a changelevel occurs while recording, the current demo file will be closed and a new demo file 'name_2' ('name_3', 'name_4', etc.) is created. To playback a previously recorded game, type 'playdemo "name"'. If you want to use demo playback for system benchmarking use 'timedemo "name"'. Timedemo plays a demo as fast as possible and shows performance stats after the playback is finished (total drawn frames, seconds needed for playback, average frames per second and variability).
Or you can always try to descript what you did... does it have something to do with that Faith Plate in the middle of goo?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
moldy_tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Lecter View Post
Here's my first Portal2 map! I'd love someone to try to solve/break it before announcing it anywhere:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=75508652

If the link doesn't work, try logging on to Steam first as it's released for friends only... And of course, if someone I haven't added wants to test it too, feel free to PM me!
I think I might have broken it: http://youtu.be/dzFdPOKO-kc

If I had jumped off earlier at the end, I would have gotten past the turrets without dying.

What I didn't like was
Spoiler:
the cube dispenser being so hidden at the back.
I only found how to get there, because I failed to get off the excursion funnel and was pushed to the back.
I thought I was stuck and would have to restart.

I don't know if it's even possible to prevent this: screenshot (there's just enough room to walk on the light bridge)

Edit: I didn't even notice the above 2 posts when I posted this...

Last edited by moldy_tomato: 06-07-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
G.Lecter

Aghhh... Once again you're bypassing the most fun parts of the puzzle! New version is up, let me know if you can still break it.

Quote:
What I didn't like was the cube dispenser being so hidden at the back.
It wouldn't be The 'Back and Forth' Hall if you had to solve it in a linear way!
Spoiler:
Going to the bottom of the hall at first is not what one would normally expect, but I've tried that cube to be as much attention-seeking as possible, hence it's constantly respawning, plus the faith plates send you closer to it so you can see something's there...
I thought it would be interesting to send the player there at the beginning of the test so you can see how large the map actually is.
In the new version I have added a few more portalable surfaces by the goo pit so it might be easier to figure out there's an underground route...

I haven't done anything with the turrets. If you can send me a demo where you survive without quicksave abuse, then I might try to fix it, but I think it's pretty deadly already. Using the bridge to get to the exit door obviously isn't the intended solution...

Thanks for testing!

Last edited by G.Lecter: 06-07-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Grulps

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Lecter View Post
Or you can always try to descript what you did... does it have something to do with that Faith Plate in the middle of goo?
It did. Now I solved the new version and I'm not sure if it was the correct way. It may be wrong because it involves one difficult jump.

Here's the solution with screenshots.

Last edited by Grulps: 06-07-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
G.Lecter

Getting closer to the solution, but you're still bypassing the cool stuff... Bouncing at the angled platform for the final jump was totally unintented, had to add a water dispenser to keep that surface clean. The bridge jump was unintented too...

Version 3 is up, thanks for the detailed description... I'll be cheking out your maps soon btw!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
G.Lecter

Finished my second map today! It is way shorter than my previous one but it should still make you stop for a bit...
Sidetrack

Last edited by G.Lecter: 07-04-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Emmy

Banned
why the living hell are you posting portal 2 maps in the toki tori section.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Toki Tori series > Toki Tori