Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Aakaash R

ORION: Dino Beatdown Official Soundtrack

We're proud to announce that the official OST for ORION: Dino Beatdown is available for purchase on iTunes. This album includes the ten tracks featured in the game- over twenty minutes of music- and it's priced at $4.99. The soundtrack was a collaboration between myself (Aakaash Rao) and Selcuk Bor.

The OST has also been uploaded to Youtube, though due to Youtube compression the audio quality is far lower than it is on iTunes.

iTunes Link
Youtube Link

Any comments, both positive and negative, are appreciated.

Thanks for your time, and enjoy the album!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
CybraxCyber

Dino Beatdown OST - 04 - Into The Dark was stolen from Philip Glass - Truman Sleeps

Last edited by CybraxCyber: 05-12-2012 at 10:54 AM.
CybraxCyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
MadCadden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybraxCyber View Post
Dino Beatdown OST - 04 - Into The Dark was stolen from Philip Glass - Truman Sleeps
into the dark...http://spiralgamestudios.bandcamp.co.../into-the-dark

Philip Glass - Truman Sleeps.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZO3ZWSorGE
MadCadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Aakaash R

I'll quote my response from another thread:

Quote:
The particular chord progression is one of the most popular in music for creating a relaxing yet melancholy atmosphere, and it's one that we're all taught in music school. Both Selcuk and Phillip Glass are accomplished composers who certainly know how to use and develop tried-and-true chord progressions- so I'm not surprised the pieces are similar.
While they may start with a similar chord structure, I think you'll find as you listen that Into the Dark develops quite differently than does Truman Sleeps. A different chord progression is used, and Selcuk also blends in instruments such as full orchestra and solo cello.

Last edited by Aakaash R: 05-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Aakaash R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Wurzel_Pummage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakaash R View Post
I'll quote my response from another thread:

While they may start with a similar chord structure, I think you'll find as you listen that Into the Dark develops quite differently does Truman Sleeps. A different chord progression is used, and Selcuk also blends in instruments such as full orchestra and solo cello.
I shall post my response to that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel_Pummage View Post
I write music too and completely understand that there are only so many chord progressions out there but you have to admit that those two pieces are eerily similar. It's not simply the chord progression, it includes the instrumentation, tempo, feel and the fact those chords are played in an arpeggio with the exact same rhythm
What if someone was to alter a couple of notes of one of your other pieces and start selling it claiming it was simply a similar chord structure (when it is blatantly more than that)? I don't think you would dismiss it so quickly
Wurzel_Pummage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
MaestroRage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

i'll just leave this here.

Who would have thought the same chords could be used in multiple songs?!!?!?!?!

WOW!
MaestroRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
MadCadden

I guess the dinosaurs from primal carnage,the 3d models and the textures are also the most popular in the gaming industry aswell since you took those and changed it ever so slightly aswell as the stolen icons for acheivements took without permission from the original authors,the Turok one for example. Nice excuses you put alot of effort into them all.

As for the music yeah i buy it,but still when you look at the picture as a whole i think "LOL" about sums it up
Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCadden View Post
<<Snip,>>
It's just the same as the Cisco IOS and the HP IOS for networking hardware, both are different just enough to avoid a lawsuit.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Wurzel_Pummage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroRage View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

i'll just leave this here.

Who would have thought the same chords could be used in multiple songs?!!?!?!?!

WOW!
So you are telling me that Elton John's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" and The Beatles "Let it Be" sound the same? No, they have similar chord structures but use them in completely different ways. Now listen to the Orion piece and the Philip Glass piece. It is way more than 'using the same chords'
Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Aakaash R

I suppose all the songs that MaestroRage posted earlier are all just different enough to avoid a lawsuit as well?
Aakaash R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
MadCadden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
It's just the same as the Cisco IOS and the HP IOS for networking hardware, both are different just enough to avoid a lawsuit.
I guess that make its acceptable then,sorry for assuming that game content should be original.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
MaestroRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel_Pummage View Post
So you are telling me that Elton John's "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" and The Beatles "Let it Be" sound the same? No, they have similar chord structures but use them in completely different ways. Now listen to the Orion piece and the Philip Glass piece. It is way more than 'using the same chords'
are you telling me that the Orion piece and Philip glass sound the same?

I mean really? From 5 seconds in the piano plays a different melody, the Orion piece has more instruments while Truman is pure piano.

The point of that video was to prove that the same chords are everywhere. Truman, and this piece, use the same chords. Big shock, big deal.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakaash R View Post
I suppose all the songs that MaestroRage posted earlier are all just different enough to avoid a lawsuit as well?
Why does it matter, if they are, they are. The only real issue is when they arn't changed enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCadden View Post
I guess that make its acceptable then,sorry for assuming that game content should be original.
It's only acceptable if the people buying the 'product' is happy with it - and I'd wager that every game released within the last ten years has at least one item from another somewhere, changed just slightly.

Last edited by GDL: 05-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Wurzel_Pummage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroRage View Post
are you telling me that the Orion piece and Philip glass sound the same?

I mean really? From 5 seconds in the piano plays a different melody, the Orion piece has more instruments while Truman is pure piano.

The point of that video was to prove that the same chords are everywhere. Truman, and this piece, use the same chords. Big shock, big deal.
Well I've never heard anyone mix up the two examples I gave where as I've had no less than three friends ask why the developers randomly used the Truman Show theme in the game which is how I became aware of it in the first place. Surely they must be similar if people are mixing them up?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
MaestroRage

your friends heard the opening, and immediately assumed it was the Truman show. I can bet if you started the song in the middle, or even post 20 seconds they would not make that connection.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde