Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

Old 05-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Grizzled Boor

In Depth Look at Medic, Suggested Revamp.

It is my opinion that the medic desperately needs a rework, while the other two classes's abilities provide both an offensive and defensive advantage, the medics is purely defensive and still seems a little weak. To cope with this the medic has been given a larger armor pool, better pistol and a shotgun to start. while this is pretty nice I begin to feel like its a sad attempt to make up for the medic's handicap, the medic feels lackluster. Using the jet pack or the cloaking ability feels really exciting and natural, its very responsive and you feel cool doing it. The medic gun falls flat on its face in this regard.

That bearing in mind, here are the changes I think would make the medic equal to the other two classes in all respects.

First: maybe consider changing the name to something else engineer or techy/technician something along these lines feels more right since we are all wearing future style body armor and the medics current role is really healing vehicles.

Second: changing the medics special ability to sort of nano field aura that heals himself and nearby allies/vehicles/generators in a small radius as he holds down the button. The reason for going ahead and giving him the option to heal others things is the improvement of the current ability is not really useful enough to be an upgrade in itself. Giving this to the medic from the start would make him a dynamic pick right from the start not a pick you grab for the free shotgun.

Upgrading the medic ability then offers some interesting options. You could A) have the upgrade grant him a damage reduction shield that knocks back enemies at melee range(including t-rex cause that would be awesome and would provide the medic a well needed defense against t-rex that the other classes already have)as well as applying the same healing aura as before. Or B) have the aura deal damage to near by enemies in a small radius. The reason these are important and good ideas is that the ability upgrades for the other classes while further improving their defensive capabilities they also improve offensive capabilities of both classes. The medics current upgrade is largely a flop as most people spring for VTOL and by the time you lose it you likely earned enough for another one.

Best case scenario you could include both these abilities and offer the choice of both upgrades for further depth to the class. Also adding an additional upgrade for the assault I would give an upgrade that greatly increase the thrust of the jet pack but doesn't offer the same offensive ability as hovering up over a group of raptors and throwing a grenade or two into their eager faces, but it would feel phenomenal. For the recon you could simply add an upgrade that when he breaks cloak by firing the shot does bonus damage like a sneak attack multiplier giving him the choice for significantly more offense at the cost of a lot of defense.

Third: given the upgrades to the medics ability I would take away his bonus shield and shotgun leaving the magnum pistol as he would still be pretty weak early game.

Lastly: adding to the HUD the health of all allies in the game next to their names would allow the medic to perform his role better, might as well let the medic see the health of vehicles too from the HUD.

I think making these changes to the medic would make him a wholly new class that would attract more players and offer the same excitement you get from using the other classes abilities properly.

Thank you.

Last edited by Grizzled Boor: 05-13-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
xX_Renegade_Xx

I'm glad someone has made a post about support, I fully agree, he does need changing, nice suggestions and I'll make one too, combine the healing weapon with the currently selected weapon, left click for main weapon, right click for healing as an example, as it is at the moment, changing weapons can leave him vulnerable.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm interested to see what other players think too.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
skin2yard

that aura stuff and upgrading it sounds interesting...
i like to buy the power jump upgrade when playing support, it gives me a chance to fight the rex up close lol .... i think its my favorite button, makes fighting much more exciting
skin2yard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
K E V 1 N

I find it weird that recon starts off better at repairing than the support (emp grenades).
What do smoke grenades even do? I've yet to find a use for them.
K E V 1 N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
skin2yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by K E V 1 N View Post
I find it weird that recon starts off better at repairing than the support (emp grenades).
What do smoke grenades even do? I've yet to find a use for them.
maybe smoke is usefull when raptors storm the building?, gives you a chance to escape or upgrade?...havent really tried it yet
skin2yard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Grizzled Boor

I've heard smoke is supposed to prevent dino's from entering it, though I'm not sure if it works or not.

Also had a slight change of mind with the 2nd assault upgrade. Keeping with the high thrust capacity booster, removing sustained flight so its totally different play you press the button and it boosts you in whatever direction you are moving(space + button for vertical boost maybe). Then the boost could do damage on impact like running something over, making you a human cannon ball kind of. Also prolly would have to remove fall damage and such with the upgrade otherwise you would likely kill yourself. So you have the hover pack and then a blitz pack.
Grizzled Boor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Grizzled Boor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin2yard View Post
i like to buy the power jump upgrade when playing support, it gives me a chance to fight the rex up close lol .... i think its my favorite button, makes fighting much more exciting
Yeah just tried that it was pretty fun. Still feel like you could get more bang for your buck with medics ability.

Also yeah its weird how he isnt as good at repairing the generators , he has to heal 2 pieces of it to get it back online. Where as the recon can do it with just a nade throw, but I love the recon. They should just make the engineer one equivalently good.
Grizzled Boor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
Great suggestion and post, man. Really love it.

YOu'll be happy to know that we ARE looking at revamping the Support class a little bit. There was one user who had suggested a Stasis-like effect for the medic gun. What this means is that you could use it against smaller Dinosaurs (like the Raptors) that will slow down their movement during a swarm attack.

Also, when his smoke grenade functionality is fully in, it will act as a shield or barrier in which Dinosaurs typically avoid / stay out of allowing the team to basically create natural "bunkers" when need be during a battle to re-group and recharge.
DPrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Powernoodle

Hmm im the exact opposite. I think the support is too overpowered. lose the shotgun and magnum and give them a crappy pistol then maybe they are in need of work. Plus i think 400armor and the ability to heal myself is far better than a jetpack or cloak. Recon needs alot more work then the support.
Powernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Aerowind

Powernoodle, Recon's so broken it's not even funny. Saying it needs a buff is silly. If anything, it needs a nerf. Seriously, you can melee kill a T-Rex with a Recon with very few problems. Cloak->Position->Uncloak->Fire Magazine->Cloak->Reload->Repeat. You'll never die. Ever. Also, melee doesn't break cloak, so feel free to farm raptors for massive amounts of cash early on.
Aerowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
DPrassel

Spiral Game Studio
Recon is getting a slight nerf in 1.2.
  • 50% of the current energy amount.
  • Shooting silenced weapons uses more energy (while cloaked).
  • Raptors can hear (your emitter) / smell you if very close to you while cloaked.
  • Cloaking only works 100% towards a T-Rex and Rham however a T-Rex will likely throw boulders at your last seen position.
DPrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Aerowind

Don't T-rexes already do that? Not to mention they also seem to throw boulders at the last place that they've been hit, even if you're cloaked (i.e. don't just stand there cloaked and fire away). It's nice to know you're fixing some of recons issues though.
Aerowind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
K E V 1 N

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrassel View Post
  • Raptors can hear (your emitter) / smell you if very close to you while cloaked.
  • Cloaking only works 100% towards a T-Rex and Rham however a T-Rex will likely throw boulders at your last seen position.
Don't they already do this?
Raptors will follow me for a while if I use stealth though they won't usually attack. T-Rex already throws a boulder at your last location if you use stealth in front of it sometimes.
K E V 1 N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Rockfireex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrassel View Post
  • 50% of the current energy amount.
  • Shooting silenced weapons uses more energy (while cloaked).
Thats not exactly a "slight" nerf..
Rockfireex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
SiMoNiZoR

I've noticed that if you cloak near a Trex, wait until he has the boulder in his mouth, uncloak, then cloak again quickly, the Trex will usually drop the boulder and just stand there wondering what's going on.

Anywho, I do agree that support should be reworked.

In most games, support is the exact opposite of what it is in O: DB. They're usually very quick, agile, and very fragile.
SiMoNiZoR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde