Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Wereshark

Can't buy games on steam with visa gift card

I activated and registered my account already plus all the information i entered are 100% correct but for some reason i can't buy any games on steam. My card has more than enough money to buy call of cultulluauaah dark corners of the earth.

I would never put in my credit card or debit card info on steam or any sites so if thats the only way than i'll rather not get anything. Thanks in advance.

Edit - got it working thanks everyone.

Last edited by Wereshark: 05-13-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Zurrgle

Have you tried added the money to the steam wallet then buy it like that?

Also look here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2343220
Zurrgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Sometimes it just happens this way. The online payment and verification systems used are the same as any other place you'd buy something online.

Your best bet is to verify your account situation with your bank/provider, and the card's validity. Without going into too much detail here, there are many ways you can inadvertently trip the process up without you knowing.

So, ring your bank to check first.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
ChrisW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wereshark View Post
I would never put in my credit card or debit card info on steam or any sites so if thats the only way than i'll rather not get anything. Thanks in advance.
You do know it is much safer to use your credit card online than in a store or restaurant?
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
You do know it is much safer to use your credit card online than in a store or restaurant?
I missed that. Indeed this is very true.

I don't understand why this "internet purchasing = unsafe" myth still abounds. It's absolutely untrue.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Most of the credit card fraud is done via real life duplication of Credit Cards (Restaurants, stores, Gas stations and such) it just takes a swipe and a small card reader.

I find interesting how people have their security preferences swapped when it comes to internet.
For example: I won't put my credit card in a website, but i'll willingly reply a email with all my bank access data because 'the bank forgot them'
(And yes, i've seen that happening)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
northreign

The credit card numbers are relatively safe with Valve. But, hackers still get at them all over the internet anymore.
northreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by northreign View Post
The credit card numbers are relatively safe with Valve. But, hackers still get at them all over the internet anymore.
Utter nonsense.

Please do note the above comments, OP, and ignore unwarranted nonsense like this.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
MrFreeman

I have used Visa Gift Cards before on Steam, can you check the balance and actually use the card ? I would make sure it works properly first in case it is an issue with the card.
MrFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
northreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
Utter nonsense.
What?

Oh so Sony for instance didn't have an issue last year.

OR Valve for instance didn't have an issue with hacking not long ago.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/1...may-be-stolen/

How long have you been using the internet? 1 day?

I'm not saying CC#s where stolen on these; Valve is awesome. But, stuff like this does happen: http://arstechnica.com/security/2009...xtent-unknown/

At 8,167 posts I think you would know better.

Or how about 130M stolen by a few guys:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...theft-at-130m/

Seriously, sorry to ruin your parade but CC#s aren't exactly safe anywhere you use them. Internet, phone, in person. Even in your own hands the number can be stolen.

Or maybe ignorance is bliss.

Now I want to see you back up your claims.

People have the right to be conscious about it.

Last edited by northreign: 05-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.
northreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Shamble

Pre-paid card BINs are sometimes rejected by some card acquirers due to the fact that these are often used for money laundering and fraud. You may need to take extra steps to confirm your identity with the pre-paid card issuer prior to making a transaction in order for them to have an address on-file for undertaking Address Verification. You also need to ensure that the card is set up for Mail Order transactions.

Is there any particular reason you can't use a Paypal account? If you prefer, you can pay via. Direct Debit (assuming a clearing house in your country supports the scheme) and Paypal will be listed as an originator on your account. You are then are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee and can end the mandate at any time. If any unauthorised amounts are scheduled, you are notified prior to the transaction debiting and your bank can quite easily issue an indemnity claim and payment recall. Banks are able to do this with a few clicks of a mouse. This is certainly less hassle if something untoward were to happen and you're not having to store your payment card details.

What is the exact error message you are getting from Steam? As mentioned in a linked thread by a previous poster, have you attempted the transaction via. the http://store.steampowered.com site in more than one web browser?

Last edited by Shamble: 05-13-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Shamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
bha2597

I haf exatly same problem and I contact support and waited 2 days
bha2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Wereshark

Thanks guys got it working, it turns out my card expires in september 2018. I was putting in september 2012 before. Thought they meant september 18 when it was really september 2018.
Wereshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Tito Shivan

Sometimes the weirdest problems have the simplest solutions
Glad you got it sorted out
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by northreign View Post
What?

Oh so Sony for instance didn't have an issue last year.

OR Valve for instance didn't have an issue with hacking not long ago.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/1...may-be-stolen/

How long have you been using the internet? 1 day?

I'm not saying CC#s where stolen on these; Valve is awesome. But, stuff like this does happen: http://arstechnica.com/security/2009...xtent-unknown/

At 8,167 posts I think you would know better.

Or how about 130M stolen by a few guys:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...theft-at-130m/

Seriously, sorry to ruin your parade but CC#s aren't exactly safe anywhere you use them. Internet, phone, in person. Even in your own hands the number can be stolen.

Or maybe ignorance is bliss.

Now I want to see you back up your claims.

People have the right to be conscious about it.
Firstly, I never said they were safe ANYWHERE you use them. The same common sense obviously applies on the digital realm as the real world.

That said, those problems did indeed happen, but NOBODY was compromised. The proof's in the pudding.

In both cases, it's possible those credit card files were looked at, but as they were encrypted, there is almost no chance anything was gleaned.

It remains still FAR safer online than in manual, real world usage.

Ask yourself this question - when you use your card in the real world, how many times do you let it out of your sight?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips