Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2 > Hammer/Modding

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Red face If Edgar Allan Poe designed test chambers...

...and I am sure on some alternate world he did-then they would probably look something like my first series of maps. That's right, I present to you four test chambers inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Pit and Pendulum - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71480925

Hop-Frog - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71623043

City in the Sea - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=72596750

The Red Death - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=72971799

Please have a look. Let me know what you think, and if you post feedback/rate my maps then I will be sure to return the favor.

Just be sure to include a link to your map along with your feedback. I give what I receive, so if you just say "your maps cool" then that is all you will receive. But if you leave honest constructive feedback I will do likewise.

Last edited by Arcade Fiction: 05-22-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Arcade Fiction is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
SlipWolf
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 22
Played through both maps.. mainly because you said Edgar Allen Poe test chambers lol.

I really love your map layouts.

Hop-Frog is my favorite.. bouncing the cubes off the faith panels.. I love maps with lots of faith panels. But of course I like the idea of gaining speed though portals to launch yourself that ledge.. I think they're both well made.. can't wait to play the next 2.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SlipWol...iles?appid=620
SlipWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Willy Galleta
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 85
Nice maps. Easy, short and fun. Well done.
Willy Galleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipWolf View Post
Played through both maps.. mainly because you said Edgar Allen Poe test chambers lol.

I really love your map layouts.

Hop-Frog is my favorite.. bouncing the cubes off the faith panels.. I love maps with lots of faith panels. But of course I like the idea of gaining speed though portals to launch yourself that ledge.. I think they're both well made.. can't wait to play the next 2.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SlipWol...iles?appid=620
Thanks for checking them out, SlipWolf. I checked out yours as well, although to be honest I was only able to finish The Crag. Guess I'm a bit of a light weight. Oh well, here are my impressions so far.

The Crag: Good decor with dripping pipes and ominous feel. Also some very nice timing elements, especially at the end. The last bit is nit too difficult, but after everything you went through to get there it is very intense that you might not make it in time. A bit too much walking for me whenever I messed up or did something wrong I found myself walking a lot trying to figure out how to get back to where I was. Some of the buttons seem random and I wasn't sure what they did or if they had an impact on my success with the level. Otherwise a solid map.

Castle Cybergate Part One: Confession, I could not even get out of the first room. I may need a hint if you want me to finish. First impression are I found it frustrating especially when I kept getting trapped by trying new things and had to wait for the timed switch to run out.

Pay Attention: Okay, confession number two, I didn't finish this one either, but I am not giving up. I struggled with it for awhile and just as I was about to give up I learned something new. I had no idea that faith plates could launch gels. Was that in the game? I finished the single player campaign on PS3 and don't remember it. Anyway, I think the answer to that one resides with that technique, but I had stop playing so I will try again later.

Thanks again.
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Galleta View Post
Nice maps. Easy, short and fun. Well done.
Willy, thanks for checking out my maps. I ran out of play time for today, but will take a look at your maps tomorrow.

And with that statement I realize I sound like an eight-year-old whose parents restrict his gaming, but actually I had to relinquish the main PC to the wife (which actually isn't much different).
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
jimmy1911
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 23
Posts: 177
Just tried Pit and Pendulum. I don't think it's as easy as Willy Galleta says. For example, how was I supposed to get the cube to the other side correctly? I used the funnel, which, at that point, I think I shouldn't have had yet.

By the way, you should let the cube auto-respawn.. I lost it in the goo and had to start again. (I hope that wasn't just a bug on my end)
jimmy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
SlipWolf
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade Fiction View Post
Thanks for checking them out, SlipWolf. I checked out yours as well, although to be honest I was only able to finish The Crag. Guess I'm a bit of a light weight. Oh well, here are my impressions so far.

The Crag: Good decor with dripping pipes and ominous feel. Also some very nice timing elements, especially at the end. The last bit is nit too difficult, but after everything you went through to get there it is very intense that you might not make it in time. A bit too much walking for me whenever I messed up or did something wrong I found myself walking a lot trying to figure out how to get back to where I was. Some of the buttons seem random and I wasn't sure what they did or if they had an impact on my success with the level. Otherwise a solid map.

Castle Cybergate Part One: Confession, I could not even get out of the first room. I may need a hint if you want me to finish. First impression are I found it frustrating especially when I kept getting trapped by trying new things and had to wait for the timed switch to run out.

Pay Attention: Okay, confession number two, I didn't finish this one either, but I am not giving up. I struggled with it for awhile and just as I was about to give up I learned something new. I had no idea that faith plates could launch gels. Was that in the game? I finished the single player campaign on PS3 and don't remember it. Anyway, I think the answer to that one resides with that technique, but I had stop playing so I will try again later.

Thanks again.
Hint for Castle Cybergate: If you played Shadowgate.. I'm sure you'll remember the starting area had you starting at a door. If you didn't realize the skull around the door molding could be moved that would give you a key.. to enter the castle. Same rules apply.. that challenge forces you to think. This first challenge forces you to think a little more outside the box.. remember.. you don't need to stand in front of a button to press it.

Hint for Pay Attention: The answer is in the walls of the hall of darkness.

__

Thanks for playing them! Played through your two again.. they really are good xD. Hope the hints help, and thanks for joining Aperture 9!

Last edited by SlipWolf: 05-14-2012 at 10:23 PM.
SlipWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1911 View Post
Just tried Pit and Pendulum. I don't think it's as easy as Willy Galleta says. For example, how was I supposed to get the cube to the other side correctly? I used the funnel, which, at that point, I think I shouldn't have had yet.

By the way, you should let the cube auto-respawn.. I lost it in the goo and had to start again. (I hope that wasn't just a bug on my end)
Jimmy, thanks for playing them. You are correct, you should not have had access to the funnel at that point. I'll have to fix that. There is a play-through on youtube that you can watch to see how I intended it to be solved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI2xHVEsTlg

As far as the cube respawning, I thought I had it set to do that, but I will check when I get home.

Quote:
Hint for Castle Cybergate: If you played Shadowgate.. I'm sure you'll remember the starting area had you starting at a door. If you didn't realize the skull around the door molding could be moved that would give you a key.. to enter the castle. Same rules apply.. that challenge forces you to think. This first challenge forces you to think a little more outside the box.. remember.. you don't need to stand in front of a button to press it.

Hint for Pay Attention: The answer is in the walls of the hall of darkness.
SlipWolf, thanks for the hints. I had tried pushing the button from different positions/distances, but guess I didn't find the right one yet. I can't wait to try again when I get home. Oh and I loved Shadowgate, what a great source for inspiration.
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
SlipWolf
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade Fiction View Post
Jimmy, thanks for playing them. You are correct, you should not have had access to the funnel at that point. I'll have to fix that. There is a play-through on youtube that you can watch to see how I intended it to be solved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI2xHVEsTlg

As far as the cube respawning, I thought I had it set to do that, but I will check when I get home.



SlipWolf, thanks for the hints. I had tried pushing the button from different positions/distances, but guess I didn't find the right one yet. I can't wait to try again when I get home. Oh and I loved Shadowgate, what a great source for inspiration.
. Kemco's big 3 (Deja Vu, Uninvited, and the infamous Shadow Gate) are in my top games of all time. They always forced you to think outside the box.. or you die.. come to think of it.. most of anything you do in those games.. you die.

Either way. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get on to touch up the map. My brother pointed out one or two glitches.. nothing game breaking.. just ninja flops.
SlipWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Willy Galleta
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade Fiction View Post
Jimmy, thanks for playing them. You are correct, you should not have had access to the funnel at that point. I'll have to fix that.
Huh? I just flinged myself with the cube and slam-dunked it into the next chamber. It looked pretty obvious to me. I didn't even chek if there was a way back from that room. XD
Willy Galleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Galleta View Post
Huh? I just flinged myself with the cube and slam-dunked it into the next chamber. It looked pretty obvious to me. I didn't even chek if there was a way back from that room. XD
Yep, that is how I meant for it to be solved. I may have my terminology mixed up. By funnel I thought Jimmy meant he portaled the tractor beam.
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Willy Galleta
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade Fiction View Post
Yep, that is how I meant for it to be solved. I may have my terminology mixed up. By funnel I thought Jimmy meant he portaled the tractor beam.
I understand the same, but I don't see how it's possible. Then again, I may have missed something.
Willy Galleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Galleta View Post
I understand the same, but I don't see how it's possible. Then again, I may have missed something.
I think he may have used the cube to stand on then jump high enough to get a shot at it. I will have to try it when I get home. If so then I will just need to switch which side the tractor beam is on and which side the portalable surface is on. I think that should fix it.
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Galleta View Post
Nice maps. Easy, short and fun. Well done.
Willy, I played through "Cube Rescue" and "Long Horror". Both difficult but fun. Cube rescue was quite long and a bit hard to keep track of where you are and where you have been due to size and assortment of many similar sized rooms and hallways. Great concept though and good mechanics/puzzles in both. Good job.
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
Arcade Fiction
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1911 View Post
Just tried Pit and Pendulum. I don't think it's as easy as Willy Galleta says. For example, how was I supposed to get the cube to the other side correctly? I used the funnel, which, at that point, I think I shouldn't have had yet.

By the way, you should let the cube auto-respawn.. I lost it in the goo and had to start again. (I hope that wasn't just a bug on my end)
Wow Jimmy, I have to hand it to you for finding that exploit. It is not easy to do. I have fixed the matter and republished so now there should only be one way to get the cube over there. Thanks for the input.
Arcade Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2 > Hammer/Modding


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.