Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Revelations 2012

Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Tiger_lily

Dark Artz Entertainment
Official Response from Dark Artz

I am going to attempt to respond to as many of your posts as possible in this thread if I miss something I will make updates.

For starters, Supermoose and I are the only Dark Artz employees making posts in these forums and we are marked as developers. Except for the whole Ken Danforth debacle, everyone else is opinionated of their own accord.

Ken Danforth worked for us over a year ago. Our game looked very different back then and he probably genuinely believed his comments and ratings about our game as it had changed much since he had seen it last. However, we understand how our community perceived this as well and I felt I should respond briefly regarding this. Hopefully, we won't see any more posts like this as it just has a bad appearance of improperly representing the game no matter how genuine the sentiments are.

Deleted threads: I'm new to forums and the moderation of such. There were inappropriate things/breaking of forum rules in some of the initial threads. I reported such individual comments to the moderators and they deleted the entire threads. It was my intention to remove individual posts inside those threads NOT the entire threads themselves. We certainly don't want to discourage people from posting their opinions on the game, no matter how badly the comments may portray us. It was not my intent to get rid of those opinions, but that is the way it happened and I apologize for the mass deletion that occurred. I also deleted a comment by spartic that initially seemed like the right thing at the time, but in hindsight it was truly just that user's opinion and was not breaking any forum rules. As I was unable to "undo" this action I apologize also directly to this user.

Regarding the Valid Gaming review. Yes they are in the same city. No they are not affiliated with Dark Artz Entertainment in any way. No they were not paid by Dark Artz Entertainment (unless you count the pizza and soda they consumed while in our office that day.) They made the trip to our office as an independent reviewing company and since we did not have beta keys at the time, they played the game in our office as well. Perhaps this did not make their review impartial enough for the steam community, but there are plenty of other reviews out there for which you can form opinions of our game upon. I have spoken with the leader of the company asking why the review was removed as it was our impression that it was removed because they "were taking heat" from the community regarding their review. His response was that it was originally removed because of the stress it was putting on their servers. He has taken action regarding this and reposted their review of our game.

Beta testing and pricing: Other than valid gaming, we gave out about 75-100 beta keys for people to test our game. The overwhelming response was that Revelations 2012 was fun. Of course we got comments on general things to change and those changes were made, but not of the caliber, quantity, and specific nature of things that need to change as we have from our forum feedback. It is apparent that there were not enough independent or professional people playing our game for the comments on necessary changes that we needed to make before release. Unfortunately, we cannot go back to the past, but we are certainly taking the criticism now and working to improve our current game and make it to the standard that everyone is demanding. This won't happen overnight and we can only ask for patience while we work on MANY changes.

We deferred to our betters at Valve as far as pricing was concerned and with 5 different game modes and 15 chapters on campaign we felt like the quantity of play time our game offered was $20 worth of entertainment. Our community felt strongly otherwise so we completely changed the price to $10. We are currently of the understanding that there are games the community feels are better than ours that are completely free or not even getting released, which is why we are striving to temper the anger and make our game even better with the improvements on the horizon. We apologize for not doing our due dilligence beforehand, but we are definitely learning from our mistakes.

We started completely from scratch with our knowledge on making a video game. While, I don't expect this to be an excuse or any reason for forgiveness, it's a statement meant for people to see how far we have come in the last two years regardless of how you feel about Revelations 2012. We also now understand the importance of the community of gamers, which is also why we have asked if any of you would like to be a part of making this game a success. If you don't want to help we understand, but if you are passionate about the gaming world and wish to help us see this project to its full potential by all means send us a message.

We appreciate all the feedback you are giving us and hope you continue to provide areas for which we can improve. It is our dream to make this a success and win over a good opinion from the community.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Are you even sure this Ken guy actually wrote the review? I saw a screenshot on another forum that just had his name which anyone could do infact it has happened before to other developers

Just saying since it would be pretty harsh if he was sacked over it, of course I still feel the game is terrible but I'd draw the line if someone gets sacked

Also I'd remove that validgaming thing because that site is just bad the fact they gave the same pro and con for
Quote:
Looks a lot like Left For Dead
how does that even make sense

and get rid of this http://validgaming.com/wp-content/up...club_ben-1.png it's embarrassing to even read
750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Tiger_lily

Dark Artz Entertainment
We are sure it was actually Ken. Since I originally posted the review I want to leave it up there. I think we as a company should commit to NOT deleting posts if they don't break forum rules even if we posted them ourselves. There are users who have posted the reviews from other companies that I won't delete and there are some who feel those reviews aren't all that fair, out of concern for being consistent we shouldn't be deleting things at this point. But thank you very much for your post regarding this. And the character profiles are meant to be satirical in nature so don't take them too seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 View Post
Are you even sure this Ken guy actually wrote the review? I saw a screenshot on another forum that just had his name which anyone could do infact it has happened before to other developers

Just saying since it would be pretty harsh if he was sacked over it, of course I still feel the game is terrible but I'd draw the line if someone gets sacked

Also I'd remove that validgaming thing because that site is just bad the fact they gave the same pro and con for how does that even make sense

and get rid of this http://validgaming.com/wp-content/up...club_ben-1.png it's embarrassing to even read
Tiger_lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
creamyvege

If you, the developers want to know what the general public think of your game, go to youtube and search for 'Totalhalibut revelations 2012'.

I have no idea why this game is being sold for actual money. If you guys can't understand that it isn't worth anything then you have no hope for creating any game of even the lowest standard.

This is not a flame, this is a very negative opinion of your game. Please listen to the consumers because we don't need more developers that don't know how to put A + B together despite the fact that the rest of the world are screaming the answer at them.
creamyvege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
coordinator

Quote:
I have no idea why this game is being sold for actual money. If you guys can't understand that it isn't worth anything then you have no hope for creating any game of even the lowest standard.
Worth is subjective. Who are you to tell these people they shouldn't sell their product because you and some others perceive it as worthless?

The only reason anyone reasonable, including Total Biscuit, had a problem with this game being sold on steam was because of hypocricy by Valve. Better games were rejected from Steam on grounds of not living up to Valves quality standards while this was put up.
coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
GamingAwesome1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator View Post
Worth is subjective. Who are you to tell these people they shouldn't sell their product because you and some others perceive it as worthless?
The product is worth what consumers will pay for it.

This is an opinion seemingly held by a vast majority of people that this game is not worth actual money.

Majority sort of rules when it comes to determining worth, it's worth what people will pay for it. In this case, jack diddly squat.
GamingAwesome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
coordinator

I fail to see the relevance of your post.

If you don't think this product is worth any money, don't buy it and don't play it.
While the other guy figures out some flawed reasoning as to why he is the chosen one who gets to tell what is allowed to be sold and what isn't, I challenge you to come up with a reason for why I need to explain this elementary concept to you.
coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Smee2u

You know. Applause for these guys. They came out and took responsibility unlike other people.
They're even asking for help and community involvement.

Despite how bad the game is I take my hat off to that kind of gesture. If I had the ability to add improvements I'd try to do so. Unfortunately I'm not a game maker or coder to the least degree.
Heck I have to google HTML cheat sheets if I want to use basic things from it.
Smee2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Corgyll

If I had the cash I'd buy the game just to support you guys.
Coming here and taking responsibility is awesome in my eyes.
Thanks.
Corgyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
TezKw

To the Developers:

I know your game isnt the best of games, but you dont need to listen to all these people who are raging at it because its "not good enough for them", they are pathetic. Now, im not saying i particularly like the game, i just don't think that you should be APOLOGIZING just for making a slightly bad game, but what im trying to say is, dont take it to heart. You do NOT Deserve the Hate you are getting.

EA, one of the biggest games companies in the world got voted worst company in america and yet i think that every single gamer in the world owns or has owned a game by EA. I think you need to think about the response your game got, and see the things you did right and the things you did wrong and incorporate them into knowledge of game making, so when and if you make another game it turns out better.

I am really disappointed in the gaming community, yes it may be a bad game but who the hell are you people to Flame and Rage just because it isnt good enough, its their first try at a game, Id like to see any of you make a game that is what you expect it to be, These Devs even lowered the price of their game because they arent all about the money.

Anyone who HEAVILY flames on any game (unless it was rude or did something really bad eg.racism or whatnot) Think about this, if you are so good at what you do, then why are you spending your time criticizing other peoples creations.

I think you guys made a few mistakes and you will learn from them and hopefully make a better game
TezKw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
creamyvege

Quote:
Originally Posted by TezKw View Post
EA, one of the biggest games companies in the world got voted worst company in america and yet i think that every single gamer in the world owns or has owned a game by EA. I think you need to think about the response your game got, and see the things you did right and the things you did wrong and incorporate them into knowledge of game making, so when and if you make another game it turns out better.
There is a difference between bad business strategy and creating a bad game. They may be the fairest people in the world but that doesn't make their game any better or worse.
The gameplay in this game is terrible but the developers are at least taking an interest in the feedback.
EA games have amazing gameplay most of the time but their business models are unpopular.

So which would you choose? A bad game or a good game? In the end, it comes down to the fact that a game is supposed to be fun when you're playing it and this one isn't.
creamyvege is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Revelations 2012