Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
wrothmonk

Exclamation Crash when creating a new test chamber

The problem is that when I click the "create test chamber" button on the community test chambers' main menu, portal 2 freezes then crashes.

It started happening when I verified the integrity of the game cache when a test chamber would not be built. Steam came up saying the cache was broken and supposedly "fixed it". After that it crashed every time.

I have tried re-downloading the game and verifying the cache AGAIN but it didn't help.

Last edited by wrothmonk: 05-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Anduin

a lot guys(including me) got a similar problem that occurs when "rebuilding" a map in the editor. No solution yet no possible contact with valve (as far as i know) so we gotta wait...
Anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
wrothmonk

well does anyone know how to fix the crashing yet though?
wrothmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Anduin

negative, nothing works
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
wrothmonk

still nothing? because this is getting really annoying since I have a idea for a great map.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Anduin

still nothing (made a hole map WITHOUT this problem, but old one still crashes each time)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
wrothmonk

no not the map creation, I can't even get into the list of maps!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Severd_Nerv

Cant help with Getting into the list of maps but when i faced the REBUILD CRASH i was curious to find out what was causing it and i found a Faith plate in a wrong place and behind a wall which i never meant to put there. and once i deleted that i was able to rebuild...also when i was building my Pinball lvls i came across a few crashes at REBUILD and so when i went in to investigate what was causing it that time i just deleted a section of my map at a time and tried to rebuild to see what part of the map was causing the crash and then resolved it buy rebuilding that specific part... Im not necessarily saying it has anything to do with Faith plates altogether But im guessing its got to do with items in the map that aren't Properly configured or are Slightly outside the borders of the map that cause the crash.
Severd_Nerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Anduin

that rebuild crash seems to be different from mine since i deleted every item in my map and minimized the walls, so there are multiple types of rebuild errors
Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
wrothmonk

ok can you all just focus on the CRASH not the BUILDING ERROR
I NEED HELP ON THE CRASHING NOT THE BUILDING ERRORS!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
AGamer

I was experiencing the same thing. In fact, I was just in the process of recording the issue with FRAPS to post it on youtube so that I could show exactly how it looks like for me.

I was running at 2560x1600 resolution and decided to lower it to 1280x720 so that the video would be quicker to upload to youtube. I also put the game into windowed mode instead of full screen mode and guess what: it didn't freeze!

For whatever reason, lowering the resolution and putting it in windowed mode fixed it. I can use the editor and play test chambers created by other people.

So at least try lowering the resolution, and if that doesn't work, try putting it in windowed mode as well. Let me know if this helps.
AGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
wrothmonk

I tried all resolutions, and switching between fullscreen and window (I was having it crash in windowed mode in the first place) and it crashed each time.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
nijodark

yep, was a resolution issue for me. which is weird as I originally played in fullscreen max res and then changed to windowed to do editing
nijodark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
joey19982

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijodark View Post
yep, was a resolution issue for me. which is weird as I originally played in fullscreen max res and then changed to windowed to do editing
Nice necropost. I'm pretty sure Valve already released an update for this, so no need to change to windowed.
joey19982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2