Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
evapour

MineCraft 1 client for 2 people in the same house?

Hello people.

I have a question to ask about Minecraft. Right now, Minecraft is £16.95 and I would like to get it so I could unwind after my exams. My bro and myself would like to get Minecraft due to how awesome it is. Since it would seem stupid to buy two of the same game for each person in the same house (as you wouldn't do that for a retail game), my question is:
Since 'Person 1' can download it again onto any computer, can 'Person 2' use his own account to sign into that redownloaded client and use it; and can minecraft.net recognise that 'Person 2' is a premium member?

I don't know how the account system in MC works and I would like to get a reply. Thank you!

Last edited by evapour: 05-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
HeadshotHoncho

I don't play minecraft, but if you're talking about logging into 1 account from 2 places at the same time, I would sincerely doubt you can.

Last edited by HeadshotHoncho: 05-15-2012 at 08:26 AM.
HeadshotHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
wychunter

If your account doesn't have premium, then it will say that when you try to login.

The only way to get it for 2 people in the same house would be for both to login with the same account info, and I think only one person can be logged in at a time.
wychunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
wychunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadshotHoncho View Post
I don't play minecraft, but if you're talking about logging into 1 account from 2 places, I would sincerely doubt you can.
You can log in from different places, but not at the same time I think. Although if one person has the account info saved, they can run in offline mode.
wychunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
MIK3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wychunter View Post
The only way to get it for 2 people in the same house would be for both to login with the same account info, and I think only one person can be logged in at a time.
We have 3 accounts in the same house. Two of the accounts use the same email and the third account uses a different email. We are still able to run all 3 at the same time in our little server just fine. Mojang changed the accounts a while back from using your login name to using your email as your login, but the 2 accounts on the same email work just fine at the same time.

If you want to play together online at the same time you need to buy 2 accounts and it would be wise to use a different email address for each account.

And yes, like steam you can log on any computer and enter your login and password and play online.
MIK3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Zodiark1593

Is it possible to connect two computers via LAN with one Minecraft license and an isolated server as opposed to going online?
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
MIK3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark1593 View Post
Is it possible to connect two computers via LAN with one Minecraft license and an isolated server as opposed to going online?
I'm kinda dumb about that stuff. I would think it wouldn't work. That is why we have 3 licenses. We start a server on the best computer in the house and one person joins on that same computer and 2 others join on other computers.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
evapour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK3K View Post
We have 3 accounts in the same house. Two of the accounts use the same email and the third account uses a different email. We are still able to run all 3 at the same time in our little server just fine. Mojang changed the accounts a while back from using your login name to using your email as your login, but the 2 accounts on the same email work just fine at the same time.

If you want to play together online at the same time you need to buy 2 accounts and it would be wise to use a different email address for each account.

And yes, like steam you can log on any computer and enter your login and password and play online.
Thank you very much. So 'Person 2' can login and play a MineCraft client that 'Person 1' bought. What I'm concerned about is that would 'Person 2' be able to use custom skins through minecraft.net? Because I don't know if he would be counted as a prem. member.
evapour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
MIK3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by evapour View Post
Thank you very much. So 'Person 2' can login and play a MineCraft client that 'Person 1' bought. What I'm concerned about is that would 'Person 2' be able to use custom skins through minecraft.net? Because I don't know if he would be counted as a prem. member.
If you buy 2 accounts, you can upload a custom skin for each player and it is tied to their account. You upload the texture on minecraft.net. You login with your account and click "profile" and it lets you upload your custom skin. No matter what computer you use to login, your custom skin is downloaded and used.

I don't remember which skin editor I used, it has been a while and I don't have it anymore, but there is a mod section on the minecraft official forums that probably has a few skin editors.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
evapour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK3K View Post
If you buy 2 accounts, you can upload a custom skin for each player and it is tied to their account. You upload the texture on minecraft.net. You login with your account and click "profile" and it lets you upload your custom skin. No matter what computer you use to login, your custom skin is downloaded and used.

I don't remember which skin editor I used, it has been a while and I don't have it anymore, but there is a mod section on the minecraft official forums that probably has a few skin editors.
Buying an account? Is that buying a MineCraft client for each person?

I'm wondering if 'Person 2' uses a download of 'Person 1''s client under the former's account, would he be able to access the premium stuff?

On the subject of Skin editors, even thought I don't yet have MC, I use a program called 'MCSkinEdit' and I made some really cool skins like Iron Man, Captain America, my Engie from TF2, the Vagineer and Rorschach.
evapour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
MIK3K

Quote:

I'm wondering if 'Person 2' uses a download of 'Person 1''s client under the former's account, would he be able to access the premium stuff?

On the subject of Skin editors, even thought I don't yet have MC, I use a program called 'MCSkinEdit' and I made some really cool skins like Iron Man, Captain America, my Engie from TF2, the Vagineer and Rorschach.
Only one person can log in on a single account. The second person could play that same account if it is not in use by the first person. You can have minecraft on as many computers as you want, but you can only play on one computer at a time. It's like steam - you can have steam on 2 different computers but you can only play on one computer at a time (unless you have 2 different accounts).

Worlds are stored on the computer you are playing on (unless you are playing on someone else's server over the Internet and the world is stored on their computer). If you play minecraft on your computer and create a world, later in the day when you brother plays on his computer he will not see your world, he will have his own saves on his computer. The custom skin you upload on minecraft.net would be downloaded and used no matter what computer you play on.

If you both want to play at the same time you need 2 accounts.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
UniqueName02

Quote:
Since it would seem stupid to buy two of the same game for each person in the same house (as you wouldn't do that for a retail game)
And yet this is what consumers are expected to do with Steamworks games.
UniqueName02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
MIK3K

Actually, I should add that there is a free outdated version. If you go to minecraft.net and create an account, under the big "Buy Now!" button it says "Play Minecraft Classic (Outdated, but free)" and under that you click "Multiplayer" you can play online for free and it actually has a list of public servers you can join. It is just the creative mode but can give you a taste of minecraft, but the survival mode in the paid version is completely different. I don't like the creative mode much myself, but a lot of people do.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
ChrisL

Quote:

The Minecraft client is a free download. It's the account that you're buying.

If you set a custom skin, then when your brother uses your account, he'll be using the skin as well. And if he changes it, you'll be using his skin.

All textures/mods are stored on the computer, so if you install a mod, then you'll only have access to it on your computer. But if he uses the account on his computer, the mod won't be available to him and he'll have to install it himself.
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Mr. Slippyfist

If the two of you wish to play at the same time the only legal way of handling it will be to purchase the game twice.
Mr. Slippyfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic