Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Tigerdango

Overlay error in older games*

Hi guys, I just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing a problem with the Steam overlay in older games. Specifically the Internet browser. On three older games I have played now, Mafia, Max Payne, and Max Payne 2 I have noticed that if I attempt to open the overlay and use the Internet browser at all the overlay starts messing up bad. Is this perhaps hardware problem? Steam problem? Maybe it is a bug Steam should be aware of? Please let me know if anyone else has this problem or if there is a solution to it, thanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
kav2k

No hardware/driver specs? No OS?
And, more importantly - no definition of "messing up bad"?

We can hardly help here.
kav2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Tigerdango

I am getting a new desktop but at the moment I am running on a netbook that has Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Intel Atom CPU N550 @ 1.50GHz (dual-core, four threads), 2GB of DDR3, Intel GMA 3150 with 256MB total video mem and DirectX 11 support, Realtek HD Audio, currently hooked to a 1080p PC monitor running in 1920x1080 32-bit.

Okay here's more detail about what I'm experiencing. I've played several newer games now, among them Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2, and the Peggle games. In all of these the overlay works absolutely perfect. But in both the much older games I played, Max Payne and Mafia, the overlay works perfectly until you try to open the browser and use it. It's hard to pinpoint the behavior exactly because it will do different things, but for the most part it turns itself off automatically and goes back to the game and I have to keep reopening it. I've had cases where finally it will shut off and no matter how many times I press shift + tab the overlay will not come up again until I quit the game and restart it. A minor though not necessary headache since I was so in love with the fact of being able to just pop the overlay right up in a game and look up a walkthrough, or anything else I needed without having to alt + tab or exit then restart the game.

But like I said, this problem is ONLY on the older games, Mafia and Max Payne that I see so far, and perfectly fine on newer games. Coincidence? Maybe older games have a harder time in compatibility with Steam's overlay?
Tigerdango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Pita26

I'm having similar issues, but not just in older games, in any game I run, and I've been having it since I started using steam. Here's my computer info.

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo SU7300 (1.30 GHz - 1.77 GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210M - 512MB RAM
Memory: 4GB RAM, DDR3
Direct X11 compatible

I have a similar problem with the overlay, it occasionally flickers on and off, especially when using the web browser. Recently, however, the overlay simply hasn't been working at all. I can open it once when in game but as soon as I close it (or as soon as it closes itself) the overlay no longer works at all and will not open until I exit the game and enter it again. As I stated this doesn't just happen with old games, it happens with all of my games. Any suggestions would be nice.
Pita26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Tigerdango

That's odd that it would be all your games for you, since to me it's only done it with Max Payne and Mafia. Both are older games so I assumed that it was older games doing it, but maybe not so. What are a few of the games you've played so far that the overlay does this in?
Tigerdango is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips