Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
UbuntuFTW

Question How to determine how much I need to adjust my voltage when overclocking?

I have a geforce 540M 2 gb vram and I use msi afterburner to overclock it to the max settings. I read that it's a good idea to raise the voltage to the appropriate level to avoid any possible blue screen of deaths. How can I determine the correct voltage I should use?

ungh it seems my voltages are locked, is it bad if my card doesn't get enough voltage? I s there a way to unlock it?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
pokeymans

You're doing a software OC so you don't need to raise the voltage. Should you encounter any problems just turn the notch down a bit and don't mess with things you don't understand, it's not worth wrecking your card for a slight performance boost.
pokeymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
caveman26

If its a laptop I would not oc to much as it will not have the ability to cool and will over heat
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
General Jameson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeymans View Post
You're doing a software OC so you don't need to raise the voltage. Should you encounter any problems just turn the notch down a bit and don't mess with things you don't understand, it's not worth wrecking your card for a slight performance boost.
Everyone basically overclocks through software for their GPU, it would be a really long time consuming process to flash a card every time. Voltage increased are necessary sometimes to reach and make a high overclock stable. It is not recommended without proper cooling and done at the risk of frying the VRMs.
General Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
seseorang

It's a laptop model, it's the 540 and not anywhere near the desktop version of the 540. Not worth doing anything with in my personal opinion.
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
A-spase

all things wort doing if u now how to check result, like benchmark the thing.cause find road to do the same, its hard ar sometimes imposable .
A-spase is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems