Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
RodgerM

Question M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 internal NIC wonky.

So, yesterday I unplugged for lightning storms.

Turned the machine on and the internal NIC wouldn't work. Swapped cables around, used this machine to download the new drivers from ASUS directly, and still wouldn't work. (even after a restart) . Ordered a cheap 10/100 PCI NIC.

Today I unplug for thunderstorm again, plug it back in. Said "ah let me turn it on.." .. BOOM! Internal NIC works again.

WTF!? Is there a short? Is it going to be reliable ? What the heck in general ? Should I RMA the whole motherboard ?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
YahooElite

Well that doesnt sound right..

Double check all connections, wait a little bit and if it happens again then yeah RMA it.

may want to contact them for support first though.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Bad_Motha

Banned
In the BIOS of that board should be a LAN Cable Tester, try enabling it and run the test.

Also if u suspect a "short" unplug LAN cable until it's looked at. Look at the LAN I/O port w/ flash light and check to ensure none of the wire tabs are bent and/or crossed in any way.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
In the BIOS of that board should be a LAN Cable Tester, try enabling it and run the test.

Also if u suspect a "short" unplug LAN cable until it's looked at. Look at the LAN I/O port w/ flash light and check to ensure none of the wire tabs are bent and/or crossed in any way.
Came back with :

1-2 Normal
3-6 Normal
4-5 Short 5.4 M (fluctuates a little)
7-8 Short 5.2 M (fluctuates as well)

whatever that means ?
RodgerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
caveman26

while its working stop unplugging it from the pc end use the router end to disconnect
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
Alshain

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman26 View Post
while its working stop unplugging it from the pc end use the router end to disconnect
I think he is unplugging the computer power/router power. Wouldn't make much sense to unplug the NIC, that's not going to surge unless it's over AC power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerM View Post
Came back with :

1-2 Normal
3-6 Normal
4-5 Short 5.4 M (fluctuates a little)
7-8 Short 5.2 M (fluctuates as well)

whatever that means ?
That means you may have a bad cable. It's detecting short circuit. As mentioned earlier, it could also be bent connections in the NIC socket.

Last edited by Alshain: 05-16-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
borg_7_of_9

Bad cable or wrong type of cable possibly depending on modem roughter some require a x-over cable (Blue) red is non x-over most new hardware auto detects the cable type and configures its self but I have had problem's with some devices dropping out with non x-over cables usually come back on too the same as what u are experiencing... And I get the short message in the bios test with the wrong cable too,.
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman26 View Post
who what where?

I'm unplugging all equipment from the electrical wall when I unplug. (To try and prevent lightning from frying the computers..)

edit: well, after it started magically working again I have not messed with it. (if it aint broke don't fix it..) (( Just to confirm I'm not playing around with it at random.. or something?))

Last edited by RodgerM: 05-16-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: WHAT?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Bad_Motha

Banned
If you're unplugging components because of an incoming storm, there shouldn't be any reason to mess with your Ethernet LAN cables. Unless they go through a HomePlug or something like that. As you should have your devices on a surge protector strip at the very least. Basically anything and everything you have, from Display, Computer, Modem, Router, Speakers, etc. at which you can just unplug the surge protector(s) from the wall, leaving all your power cables and network cables intact. If you have a cable-based ISP though, might want to disconnect the coax cable from the modem. Or if you have any type of phone-line based ISP (like DSL) you may want to disconnect the phone line cable from the modem.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
If you're unplugging components because of an incoming storm, there shouldn't be any reason to mess with your Ethernet LAN cables. Unless they go through a HomePlug or something like that. As you should have your devices on a surge protector strip at the very least. Basically anything and everything you have, from Display, Computer, Modem, Router, Speakers, etc. at which you can just unplug the surge protector(s) from the wall, leaving all your power cables and network cables intact. If you have a cable-based ISP though, might want to disconnect the coax cable from the modem. Or if you have any type of phone-line based ISP (like DSL) you may want to disconnect the phone line cable from the modem.
I keep wondering how this turned in to a thread about unplugging for lightning ?

of course I just unplug the surge protectors.

Don't ask me how the machine , or cable? started going bad just doing that cause that's what I made the thread for (I don't know..).
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
borg_7_of_9

Get a decent surge protected power board with Ethernet and phone line surge protectors..
Fwiw I've never unplugged my rig had a few brown out's but no damage so far 20 plus years later btw
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
Get a decent surge protected power board with Ethernet and phone line surge protectors..
Fwiw I've never unplugged my rig had a few brown out's but no damage so far 20 plus years later btw
I imagine they need ground.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
weedo

Are you sure it wasn't just disabled in windows? I've had that sometimes, can't figure out why it wont work and then finally take a look and the connection or device is disabled for some random reason I couldn't figure out.
weedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
RodgerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedo View Post
Are you sure it wasn't just disabled in windows? I've had that sometimes, can't figure out why it wont work and then finally take a look and the connection or device is disabled for some random reason I couldn't figure out.
come to think of it I don't guess I did ever check Device Manager.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
masta121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerM View Post
I imagine they need ground.
Your house's plugs should be grounded if it's anywhere remotely recent.
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems