Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Akatsuki744

Crashes after 'blue dots' loading screen

Hey all,

I keep having this problem with Portal 2 on my laptop. I can open it up and launch it fine from Steam, and I'm able to get to the main menu, and even watch (most of) the promos and videos. But as soon as I continue my game, load a file, or start a new game, it'll stop responding. The screen will go black, and the audio will 'stutter', freaking out until I get task manager to end it, or my laptop crashes if I let it run long enough. This'll happen right after the loading screen, the one that has three parts, and usually shows some scene in Portal (e.g., GLaDOS's body in the ruins), and has the blue-dot loading bar in the lower-right corner.

If anyone can help me, that would be appreciated! (:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Qrome

I had this crash a while back too, but fortunately found a workaround for it. Try going to steeam/steamapps/common/portal2/portal2/update/cfg and delete videodefaults.txt. This should hopefully fix your crash, but just remember that the game will generate a new version of the file every time it's deleted. I recommend using a desktop shortcut to the cfg folder for quick access, as you will need to delete that file every time before launching the game.
Qrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Akatsuki744

Thumbs up

Thank you so much! I never would've figured that out on my own.... I actually should apologize; I've been meaning to thank you sooner, but I've just been so busy playing Portal 2. XD
Akatsuki744 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2