Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
shreds97
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 45
Two things installing with GTA San Andreas?

I just purchased Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I have two things downloading. San Andreas itself and this item called "GTA3: San Andreas Mac." What is that? GTA 3 is completely different from San Andreas. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks. (I have Mac OS X Lion)

Last edited by shreds97: 05-17-2012 at 04:40 PM.
shreds97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
stevethepocket
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 267
Posts: 1,969
For some stupid reason, Steam doesn't support labeling third-party ports (which GTA 3 and its unnumbered sequels are) as the same game as their Windows counterparts, so everyone gets two versions in their library, but only the right one actually downloads and installs. Or so I thought; maybe Mac users actually get stuck with both for some even stupider reason.

As for why the Mac versions of Vice City and San Andreas are also so badly named, I guess someone figured they're technically GTA 3 expansion packs or something.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
GalakFyarr
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 3
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepocket View Post
For some stupid reason, Steam doesn't support labeling third-party ports (which GTA 3 and its unnumbered sequels are) as the same game as their Windows counterparts, so everyone gets two versions in their library, but only the right one actually downloads and installs. Or so I thought; maybe Mac users actually get stuck with both for some even stupider reason.

As for why the Mac versions of Vice City and San Andreas are also so badly named, I guess someone figured they're technically GTA 3 expansion packs or something.
Yup, this is it. I have GTA SA too, and I see 2 different "games" for San Andreas, only one is the mac version.

Although I don't know why your (the OP) mac would download the PC-version, I don't think you should even be able to click "install" on that one. Anyhow, don't download the windows version, just let the Mac version install.
GalakFyarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Ghrim
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 2
you can run windows on a mac, it is just a program. so it is possible that some mac user out there is playing games on windows, on their mac
Ghrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
V2Blast
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 48
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghrim View Post
you can run windows on a mac, it is just a program. so it is possible that some mac user out there is playing games on windows, on their mac
That is just blatantly false. Yes, you can run Windows on Apple hardware. No, you can't just run Windows games in Mac OS X without doing anything.

I've had Windows games proceed to the install menu after activating a CD key, but the games won't actually run, and it'll usually give you some sort of error if you cancel out of that menu and try to install it afterwards.
V2Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
GalakFyarr
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 3
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Blast View Post
That is just blatantly false. Yes, you can run Windows on Apple hardware. No, you can't just run Windows games in Mac OS X without doing anything.

I've had Windows games proceed to the install menu after activating a CD key, but the games won't actually run, and it'll usually give you some sort of error if you cancel out of that menu and try to install it afterwards.
are you misreading his comment on purpose? Obviously he meant they were running windows through bootcamp or a VM on their Macintosh computer.
GalakFyarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
V2Blast
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 48
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalakFyarr View Post
are you misreading his comment on purpose? Obviously he meant they were running windows through bootcamp or a VM on their Macintosh computer.
His comment was incomprehensibly vague, and regardless, it was pretty much entirely off-topic.
V2Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.