Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Rainsford

Calixto House of curiosities always locked

Hey everyone! Ive had this bug for a long long time where the Calixto house of curiosities is locked 24/7 even when he is home. I have broken into it a few times and found him sitting on his chair right on front of the door which he promptly tells me to leave. Is there a bug fix for this or a way around it?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
jedi72it

I will visit Windhelm in the weekend, so i can check this thing...and see what happens, as i started a brand new adventure.

Will leave a feedback later.

Happy adventuring.
jedi72it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
bobczes

That place is not a shop it is a museum and is quest related. The rather glitchy "Blood on the Ice" quest to be specific.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blood_on_the_Ice

Last edited by bobczes: 05-18-2012 at 10:32 AM.
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Shadowblade001

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsford View Post
Hey everyone! Ive had this bug for a long long time where the Calixto house of curiosities is locked 24/7 even when he is home.
I found the same thing. He was in the market place one day and said I should bring a Strange Amulet for him to look at which I found during Blood on the Ice. But he was constantly closed and when he was open he just sat there eating his tea. When he finished he finally gave me a tour of the museum and showed me the mundane and ordinary curiosities and wonders of Skyrim he proudly displays. He had no interest in my amulet whatsoever. It's worth 1000 gp, I can't sell it or drop it as it's an unresolved quest item and I can't finish the quest with it.

I'll check that link Bob posted.

~.~
Shadowblade001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Shadowblade001

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobczes View Post
The rather glitchy "Bood on the Ice" quest to be specific.
Woah! I just read that and about half of it never happened for me! You-know-who is enduring an enforced rest period and he's been there for weeks! I'd better high-tail it back to Windhelm pronto. I never did quite believe he was guilty!

Thanks again, Bob, you posts are always helpful, useful or both.

~.~
Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
bobczes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowblade001 View Post

Thanks again, Bob, you posts are always helpful, useful or both.

~.~
What about comedic, quixotic, banal, snarky, irreverent, pretentious, and idiotic?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
luke7050

The Blood On Ice quest just completely buggged out on me and i cant finish it.
luke7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
bobczes

The only advise I can give on this quest is to go back to an earlier save and follow the wiki step by step.

Many, many bugs here.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
MMZ>Torak

Quote:
What about comedic, quixotic, banal, snarky, irreverent, pretentious, and idiotic?
What is this, bobczes and the seven dwarves?
MMZ>Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
bobczes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMZ>Torak View Post
What is this, bobczes and the seven dwarves?
OK. I'll add inane and obtuse.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Rainsford

The thing is guys... I dont even have that quest yet. I cant even get into the shop =/ is there no hotfix? and I have no saves that go that far.
Rainsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
bobczes

The quest originates at the cemetery after you leave and return to he city four times.

This quest is triggered by a counter that starts at the beginning of the game which will increase each time you visit the city of Windhelm or the immediate surrounding area. When it reaches four, the Blood on the Ice quest will be available, although one more condition must be met. The player has to enter Windhelm, either through the main gate or by fast-traveling, between 7pm and 7am. The graveyard scene should then be triggered and the quest ready to go.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
MMZ>Torak

Quote:
The thing is guys... I dont even have that quest yet. I cant even get into the shop =/ is there no hotfix? and I have no saves that go that far.
The Easiest way to deal with talking to Calixto:

Quote:
Even before the quest is initiated, speaking to Calixto outside his store will cause him to close it permanently. Do not attempt to pick the lock, as he will become hostile. Instead, if you want information about the Amulet, find him at Candlehearth Hall between 5pm and 7pm.
From the wiki.
MMZ>Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Shadowblade001

Banned
Beware Spoilers

Quote:
LOL. I was going to say "80% of your posts", but then you'd have asked about the other 20%. I think you've covered that with your seven dwemer companions.

I downloaded that Wiki and went back to Windhelm - the quest is marked as completed even though I didn't fulfil getting help from Jorleif. This happens with other, less complicated quests, such as the Nchaud-Zel excavation in Markarth where it says find someone who knows about the dig before I find the main guy's journal. If I talk to Calimeco or whatever (have trouble remembering names), it's over, and if I find the main journal first he ignores it and reads the other journal. I think this is just rubbish scripting and poor quest stage progression. I have never forced a quest with a console code.

Blood on the Ice is more complex and so there's more stuff to go wrong.

So I went back to Windhelm after dozens of hours of real time and no guard, no new murders etc. I may have spoken to Calixto in the graveyard first time round as he said to stop by his shop so he could look at the Amulet. Apparently, that can break the quest. I never got the chance to sell it.

Thematically and role-playing-wise, the nature of the Amulet is anathema to my character, but it looks interesting and I hate broken quests like this.

Spoiler:

Calixto is still eating and finally WILL talk to me again, but he still isn't interested in the Amulet.

I can pickpocket him and get his key and find his journal in the chest, marked as stolen, revealing what he is up to.

I reloaded and went to the palace instead, sneaked to hide from the guard and in his face I lockpicked the cell where Wuunferth the court mage was locked up.

He could then speak to me and I could say "there's been another murder", even though there hasn't.

After I apologise he decides to help me and I have to patrol the Stone Quarter as there's a pattern to the murders and he says it will happen tomorrow night.

The quest then re-activates, so I have one completed Blood on the Ice and also an active Blood on the Ice.

I get a quest marker in front of the inn if I wander off to the House of Curiosities or the Graveyard, but it disappears if I am in sight of the inn.

As it was afternoon, I slept until 23:00 and wandered around for a few hours, but nothing. So I slept again as he said "tomorrow night".

So now I am hanging about waiting to see if anything happens. I came back here in case there was new information on getting around the broken aspects. Several things in the Wiki haven't happened yet.

If it doesn't work out I'll reload and take the stolen Butcher's journal to Wuunferth in case that new evidence triggers a new quest stage - like showing it to Jorleif, Wuunferth or the Jarl - but I don't hold out much hope.

Even if the newly activated parts complete, I might not be able to get the working amulet as I never sold it in the first place.

Cheers

~.~
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
Shadowblade001

Banned
Quote:
You probably don't want to break into the shop - do the quest first and then rob the place later. There's nothing of any really great value, IIRC from the tour.

~.~

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V