Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 05-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Kyle07

Fixing FoV in JK/MotS

Hello there.

I have one question: Is it possible to change the FoV in JK?
I would like to change it, for using widescreen resolutions like 1080p.
Without editing the FoV, the screen is cut at the bottom and upper.
Does anyone know how to change it?

Btw: On which Engine is JK based on? Quake 1 maybe?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Pepper26

jedi knight is it's own engine i believe, if you're lucky it is moddable, but field of view isnt why it's cut off, it's cut off because the game can only render to a square image. field of view wouldn't fix not being able to see the top and bottom as it's merely the amount of curvature in the lens or something i believe. what you'd need is a widescreen patch if one exists. this game also came out before the first unreal game i think, i'm not sure what the engine is, but it uses properitery filetypes like .gob
Pepper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Myself =P

It's a moddable engine, a HEAVY modified version of Quake 2 engine, and yes, there are many mods for it and people working onto it, not sure if they still work on it, but at least many worked in the past

I'm running widescreen here (1440x900) and not cuts or any problems, the game runs fine vanilla

I do remember you can press the keys [+] and [-] to size your screen ingame, and in some resolutions if you where using the max it would cut your screen
Myself =P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Count_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself =P View Post
It's a moddable engine, a HEAVY modified version of Quake 2 engine, and yes, there are many mods for it and people working onto it, not sure if they still work on it, but at least many worked in the past

I'm running widescreen here (1440x900) and not cuts or any problems, the game runs fine vanilla

I do remember you can press the keys [+] and [-] to size your screen ingame, and in some resolutions if you where using the max it would cut your screen
Quake II came out a freaking month after this game. It's on its own proprietary Sith engine.
Count_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Kyle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper26 View Post
...but field of view isnt why it's cut off, it's cut off because the game can only render to a square image. field of view wouldn't fix not being able to see the top and bottom as it's merely the amount of curvature in the lens or something i believe...
Well, in Half-Life 1 and Team Fortress Classic I got the top and bottom back + widescreen. I could show you screenshots für proof.
Fov was set to 110.

However, I figured out, that widescreen even don't work in Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy. There are tutorials for increasing fov, but I saw always the top and bottom cut.

It looks like the whole Jedi Knight series must be played in 4:3 for true aspect ratio. However, it's better, the video will not be streched anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself =P View Post
I should try it, thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_D View Post
Quake II came out a freaking month after this game. It's on its own proprietary Sith engine.
Yeah, sounds logically. But is it a engine made complete new or is it a advanced DOOM-Engine which was used in Dark Forces 1?
DOOM 1 and 2 are working in widescreen.
Kyle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Mad Max RW

Dark Forces used its own "Jedi Engine". It was actually a bit more advanced than the Doom engine, allowing "room-over-room" level design.

Last edited by Mad Max RW: 08-28-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Count_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle07 View Post
Yeah, sounds logically. But is it a engine made complete new or is it a advanced DOOM-Engine which was used in Dark Forces 1?
DOOM 1 and 2 are working in widescreen.
While Jedi engine, used in Dark Forces, was reverse-engeneered from DOOM engine, it's very different and much more advanced, allowing for more polygonal objects, room-over-room 3D, crouching, jumping, looking up/down and all that stuff. Sith Engine is far more advanced, than Jedi Engine and, by extension, DOOM engine, since it allows for a crapload of fully polygonal characters and a ton of high resolutions and renderers. It's far, far better.

Anyway, although menus are small as and so are movies, the gameplay is in fullscreen 1080p with correct FOV.

Last edited by Count_D: 09-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Count_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II