Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-19-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Finn _The_Human

Pc continously Freezing during games.

Hey just wondering if anyone could help me out.
Ive been having trouble playing games on my pc, the problem is it just keeps Freezing. It can sometime vary between the length of time before it Freezes; such as 2 minutes of playing, 5 minutes of playing or even a few hours if im really lucky, but never the less it almost always freezes. When it freezes i have to hard reset and quite often my pc will freeze again in windows before i even try playing any games again, it really only does this after it freezes in a game first. Ive noticed that if i were to alt tab the game to browse the internet or something that when i go back to my game it will either freeze instantly or freeze a short while after. The two Games I currently play are Skyrim and Diablo 3, Skyrim is the worst of the two it Allways freezes usually after only a very short time where as Diablo 3 I can sometimes play for a few hours and it only freezes 90% of the time.

Anyways my specs are as follows

CPU: i7 2600k 3.4ghz
GPU: Gtx 560 ti 448 core edition( which is better than the standard 560 ti I believe)
RAM: 4 x 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz (only running at 1333Mhz)
PSU: 750W
Mobo: asus sabertooth p67
HDD: currently using 298gb internal, probably terrible roation speed etc but i do have a 1Tb external that a lot better if i have to use it.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
TeKraken

does your event viewer show any errors?
(right click 'my computer' > manage > event viewer > custom views > admin events)
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
YahooElite

Off hand id check the RAM first as it can cause many issues, even problems with the Hard Drive.

Reseat the RAM, test it out. if it still acts up try running Windows Memory Diag and see if it picks up anything.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
A-spase

for me display drivers making game freeze. check the event viewer. what error code u getting?.try first lower the game settings, like resolution.hdd nothing to do with the freeze.its only high settings can cause this.the drivers unable pull thous settings.
A-spase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Finn _The_Human

In the event viewer the only errors around the time it freezes are;
1.The previous system shutdown at (time) on (date) was unexpected.
2.The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.
3.Session "microsoft-windows-setup" stopped due to the following error 0xC000000D.
Finn _The_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Zyinxz

Are you using G.Skill 1600 DDR3 CL9?
Zyinxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Finn _The_Human

ive checked already that my ram was inserted correctly and i just ran memory diagnostics and there was no problems at all.

my memory is 4 x 2GB crucial ballistix 1600 DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-spase View Post
for me display drivers making game freeze. check the event viewer. what error code u getting?.try first lower the game settings, like resolution.hdd nothing to do with the freeze.its only high settings can cause this.the drivers unable pull thous settings.
I have tried playing skyrim low settings, it didnt really seem to stop it from freezing just sort of delayed it a bit more.

Last edited by rotNdude: 05-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
A-spase

if u wanna professional solution. in the Event Viewer under general there is Event Log Online Help. i newer done this before cause.and the Microsoft aint supporting Vista anymore.that unexpectedly means can be antivirus program i get ones like this.use benchmark test like PassMark CPU ,GPU. CPU .i now it takes some time.also u can save resolts for your own records.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
YahooElite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn _The_Human View Post
ive checked already that my ram was inserted correctly and i just ran memory diagnostics and there was no problems at all.

my memory is 4 x 2GB crucial ballistix 1600 DDR3
There you go, thats 1 reason for me to suspect the RAM..

The 1 i had was Crucial Ballistix Tracer and you having 4 Sticks of it makes even more sense.

Test the sticks individually, take all but 1 out, do what you normally do for the comp to mess up and see if it does it, if so remove that stick, set it aside and do the same with another stick etc.

It may be time for you to upgrade to a Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB kit or there abouts, sure the lights are AMAZING, but Crucial doesnt really get talked about when it comes to RAM..

Last edited by YahooElite: 05-19-2012 at 03:29 PM.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Finn _The_Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooElite View Post
There you go, thats 1 reason for me to suspect the RAM..

The 1 i had was Crucial Ballistix Tracer and you having 4 Sticks of it makes even more sense.

Test the sticks individually, take all but 1 out, do what you normally do for the comp to mess up and see if it does it, if so remove that stick, set it aside and do the same with another stick etc.

It may be time for you to upgrade to a Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB kit or there abouts, sure the lights are AMAZING, but Crucial doesnt really get talked about when it comes to RAM..
ok well i did take 2 out and leave two in a few days ago and i ended up getting the blue screen of death. so if this RAM is then i'll get some better RAM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
A-spase

no thats nvidia drivers can be corrupted, u have to check for updates.i set automatically update drivers.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
Finn _The_Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-spase View Post
no thats nvidia drivers can be corrupted, u have to check for updates.i set automatically update drivers.
i have the graphics driver version 301.24
says no further updates are available
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
borg_7_of_9

Could be bad drivers try an older version!
Bad Power -What 750W PSU?
Dirty CPU pad's (finger touched the bottom during the install)
Overheating GPU
Bios update?
Bad Hard drive (scan for errors)
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
Franky123

You don't have enough RAM bottom line. Win7 64 will eat 4 Gigs of RAM for breakfast, now factor in what those modern games need and you are DOOMED. You either need more RAM or a radical cache file that reserves your scant RAM for your heavy games that need it. If it's a duration issue the logical conclusion would also be heat; make sure your card is cool as well as the cpu.

Last edited by Franky123: 05-20-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Franky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Doc_Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky123 View Post
You don't have enough RAM bottom line. Win7 64 will eat 4 Gigs of RAM for breakfast, now factor in what those modern games need and you are DOOMED. You either need more RAM or a radical cache file that reserves your scant RAM for your heavy games that need it. If it's a duration issue the logical conclusion would also be heat; make sure your card is cool as well as the cpu.
Op has 4 x 2Gb of RAM giving him 8GB in total which is plenty!
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems