Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
themightynaan

Indie games like Overgrowth?

I don't know if Overgrowth is widely known at the moment, but here's a link anyway so you know what I'm asking about:
http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth

Anyway back to my point, I really liked the look of this game, and I was wondering if there are any games similar to this in the indie dev cricle, when I say similar I mean, like, not sidescrollers and point and click games, which is all there seems to be on the Indie section of Steam. Not that these are bad games, they just don't interest me much. So yeah, I've managed to write an essay, but if anyone knows of any worthwhile indie dev games, please do share
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Parlock

Lugaru HD, same developers and Overgrowth is Lugaru 2.
Parlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Edeslash

Zeno Clash
Edeslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
themightynaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlock View Post
Lugaru HD, same developers and Overgrowth is Lugaru 2.
Yes I should have mentioned that also, I'm pretty sure it's on Steam as well
themightynaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
wtfpwnd?

Been following Overgrowth for a while now, the videos they put up on YouTube are great - love seeing how the game is growing.

Ravaged (has a section on SPUF) looks to be a nice FPS. It's being created by the devs who are more known for their BF1942 mod Desert Combat, and anyone that has played DC will be happy (or unhappy if you never got to master them ) to know that the choppers handle exactly the same.
wtfpwnd? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
themightynaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfpwnd? View Post
Been following Overgrowth for a while now, the videos they put up on YouTube are great - love seeing how the game is growing.
Yeah I've been following them for a while also, playing the Alpha Build is great, the animation is fantastic, as is the combat, can't wait to see what they do in the final game.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
radicalnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightynaan View Post
I don't know if Overgrowth is widely known at the moment, but here's a link anyway so you know what I'm asking about:
http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth

Anyway back to my point, I really liked the look of this game, and I was wondering if there are any games similar to this in the indie dev cricle, when I say similar I mean, like, not sidescrollers and point and click games, which is all there seems to be on the Indie section of Steam. Not that these are bad games, they just don't interest me much. So yeah, I've managed to write an essay, but if anyone knows of any worthwhile indie dev games, please do share
Well, there is Krater http://www.kratergame.com/ which is gonna come to Steam and is in beta, you can buy it from the site and i think it already activates on Steam.

Then there is Cobalt http://playcobalt.com/ , which is a side-scroller and you stated you're not interested in those but this one is particularly great so i felt the need to mention it.
It's an evolved arcade shooter, with a great combat system and a simple yet effective way of upgrading your character and weapons. It is completely moddable and it has a cool level editor so the community is already making maps etc.
In its current state (it's still in Alpha) it features a cool survival mode, deathmatch and capture the flag but it will have also an adventure mode on which the devs are working.
The only great doubt about this game is if it will have an online multiplayer or not, the devs are trying to work on it and they definitely want to add it, but apparently it's really difficult to make it work because the mechanics of the game require zero lag. I hope they'll make it work, but the game is totally worth its price even as it is.
radicalnetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Cedge

As a longtime preorder holder, I'm getting pretty concerned about this game. They're three-and-a-half years into development, there's still a lot of engine work to do, and they've hardly even started with actual campaign content.

The tech is very impressive, and the features are really thoughtful and thorough, but at some point, they need to start building some usable amounts of real game content on top of this, and maybe go back to iterating on engine features after they get somewhere on that and have more ideas about what it requires.

If you'd asked me a year ago where I thought they'd be by May 2012, I'd certainly have hoped that they'd at least have a couple campaign levels done, but week after week, the updates are still just about their new blood-splatter graphics, or their new procedural footstep sound effects, or their new boulder and tree models, or their new physics system for realistic floppy rabbit ears. Again, I do think that this stuff is cool, and I enjoy seeing it, but I just really hope to see a weekly update about how this will actually turn into a start-to-finish game sometime within the next six months.

Quote:
Anyway back to my point, I really liked the look of this game, and I was wondering if there are any games similar to this in the indie dev cricle
Similar to Overgrowth in what way? Graphically, gameplay-wise, thematically, or what?
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
themightynaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge View Post
As a longtime preorder holder, I'm getting pretty concerned about this game. They're three-and-a-half years into development, there's still a lot of engine work to do, and they've hardly even started with actual campaign content.

The tech is very impressive, and the features are really thoughtful and thorough, but at some point, they need to start building some usable amounts of real game content on top of this, and maybe go back to iterating on engine features after they get somewhere on that and have more ideas about what it requires.

If you'd asked me a year ago where I thought they'd be by May 2012, I'd certainly have hoped that they'd at least have a couple campaign levels done, but week after week, the updates are still just about their new blood-splatter graphics, or their new procedural footstep sound effects, or their new boulder and tree models, or their new physics system for realistic floppy rabbit ears. Again, I do think that this stuff is cool, and I enjoy seeing it, but I just really hope to see a weekly update about how this will actually turn into a start-to-finish game sometime within the next six months.
You make an extremely valid point, I'm really hoping that they spill some info on the campaign, thing is, if the comic they made is anything to go by, it should be really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge View Post
Similar to Overgrowth in what way? Graphically, gameplay-wise, thematically, or what?
I mean in terms of gameplay-wise, anything open world interests me to be honest.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Skeena

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/ its a futuristic/sorta sci fi shooter. There is no release date but they have a bunch of interactive demos on the site if you click the "media" section.

And if you pre order you get access to the briefing room which has some more cool demos and some other insider info. You are allowed to share the briefing room info but you are not supposed to link the videos.
Skeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
themightynaan

Feel like this thread should be resurrected as I'm sure there some more examples, woop

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips