Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
campcreekdude

Alan Wake Windows XP bug

when i alta-tab in Windows XP the game will crash

The instruction at "0x00f9ae0" referenced memory at "0x046ed0d3". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Another issue is that MSI afterburner with On Screen Display enabled makes the game crash to desktop.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
MADDOGGE

Verify your game cache to make sure you haven't got a bad file somewhere.

If "MSI afterburner with On Screen Display enabled crashes the game" then uninstall or disable it. The developers are under no obligation to insure 3rd party programs work with their games. You will just have to keep track of those that do and don't and plan accordingly.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
MarkusRMD

Remedy Games
For the alt-tab crash, are you playing in SLI / Crossfire or single card? What graphics card?

I can add the MSI afterburner issue to the FAQ.
MarkusRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
campcreekdude

Okay there is a work around to get MSI afterburner to work.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363237

I just verified the game cache.
The game Alta-tabbing out crashing (the error i mentioned) still happens whether or not I have MSI afterburner and after verification of cache. Its not an MSI afterburner issue its a game issue.

I am not running crossfire as Radeon 7970's do not support crossfire in Windows XP. So i am running a single 7970

Another bug which most likely is unfix-able is the fact that it only utilizes 50% of my CPU even though they claimed it would take advantage of Quad Core....(I am severely CPU limited BTW)

Another unfix-able bug is the fact the game does not support game input devices other than the XBOX 360 windows controller.
Unless this last bug is untrue and let me know how you can get any old game-pad to work...(with ingame settings i havent seen)

Seems to me like its not as true of a PC game as it could have been.

Im not dissing the game I'm just reporting my findings. Its a great game so far just wish it was better.
campcreekdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
campcreekdude

Oh another bug that Im sure is fixable somehow is the game i got claims it came with a soundtrack... but I only have a dvd... where do i get the soundtrack?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
MarkusRMD

Remedy Games
campcreekdude, thanks for the feedback!

* if you have the CE edition the soundtrack has been installed to your Steam\steamapps\common\alan wake\soundtrack folder.

* Thanks for the MSI afterburner workaround link

* Alt tab - so on WinXP + single 7970, in full screen, alt tab crashes? We can try to reproduce that here and fix.

* the CPU utilization depends heavily on also your GPU, as well as the gameplay situation - it is true we only have two very heavy threads, and the idle use is typically 50% on a quad core, but when we stream in game data in the background, play a lot of sounds, or there's a lot of active physics in the scene the workload will go up from 50%. Also, if you have a slower GPU (you have pretty much the fastest around) the CPU is more likely to be the bottleneck.

* Input devices - yes, we officially support the Xbox360 controller only (we can't test every device), but we've heard of reports of quite a few other pads working fine. It is using Directinput which is the standard.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
campcreekdude

oh I didnt realise i was talking to someone from remedy.
I probably would have been more polite... i didnt realise you guys were in these forums. I really liked the Max Payne 1 game for PC as it was really great graphics (for that time) and ran awsomely on my old computer... That was so long ago... I should get into Max Payne 2 and 3 and repurchase 1... but i would love a bundle retail deal...(hint hint)

Because of that game (max Payne 1) I actually decided to get into the Alan Wake game.

I will try to spot the areas where higher than 50% CPU useage occurs...Yes you are correct my CPU is a huge bottleneck in this game as i only have around 60-70% GPU useage 1080p at 2xaa. And i really do rely on hugly multi threading to take advantage of my crazy video card.

If i turn up the AA i do get more GPU useage but not really any visual difference on a 23 inch monitor at 1080p.

Thanks for the info I found the soundtrack.

I dont need to be so nasty about not having controller support as I am able to emulate the keyboard with my controller.

If other Gamepads are working with ingame binding I actually dont know how to bind the keys properly for my gamepad.I do have a Siatek P2600 the best gamepad for PC of all time.

Last edited by campcreekdude: 05-23-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
MarkusRMD

Remedy Games
No worries - we're here to help, no need for special treatment
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
campcreekdude

I just wanted to say Issue has been fixed. alta-tabbing works fine.
I tried alta-tab through gameplay, alta-tab through menus... all seems fine!
I'm using the latest 1.06 version... so somewheres down the road it got fixed through patches.

Last edited by campcreekdude: 11-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake