Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 05-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
jordan_farrell

GTA iv save location for steam game

I just got some texture mods and i need to move my saves out of their folder to prevent an error in the game launch, i have the steam version of the game and cannot find the save games anywhere in the Steamapp folders or anything.
anyone who knows i would really appriciate a step by step help ,or if you know a video that can help please give a link.
STEAM VERSION ONLY!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Razorbak86

Search for the following:

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames
Razorbak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Toquinha

Dont forget to save the xlive folder

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive
Toquinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Bob360

Don't forget that you may have to check the box "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" This is located in the Tools-Folder Options Menu. Locate the "View" tab, and click it. Look for the Show Hidden Files... it should be about the 5th or 6th option. Just in case you didn't know.
Bob360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
jordan_farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob360 View Post
Don't forget that you may have to check the box "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" This is located in the Tools-Folder Options Menu. Locate the "View" tab, and click it. Look for the Show Hidden Files... it should be about the 5th or 6th option. Just in case you didn't know.
that was my problem. thanks a lot man.
jordan_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Bob360

Always happy to lend a helping hand.
Bob360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
NECROMANCER81

Game Saves not working

I have the GTA folder in users with saves after reinstalling Windows 8. But when I start the game it ignores them and creates a new "user_e0000ee.... " folder with ControlMap.dat and starts the game over. How can I get back all my efforts?
NECROMANCER81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Deadly_Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECROMANCER81 View Post
I have the GTA folder in users with saves after reinstalling Windows 8. But when I start the game it ignores them and creates a new "user_e0000ee.... " folder with ControlMap.dat and starts the game over. How can I get back all my efforts?
Are you logging into the same LIVE account? Savegames only work when using the same account it was created on.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
NECROMANCER81

RESTORING GTA IV GAME SAVES

Yes same live account. I suppose I was supposed to ALSO copy and save the hidden XLIVE folder in my USER account APPDATA or a simple game save will not work.

BUT, I solved it by reading that one must start the game at beginning ...go a few minutes until it does a game save ..then close it and replace THAT game save with the list of old and THEN they all come back working.
NECROMANCER81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
~~ArdEnuff~~

I had some very strange gamesave issues with GTA IV when I installed it recently from retail copy.

I originally had gamesaves slots under C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames and they worked fine. I did not think to check the XLive location at the time so have no idea if there were any gamesaves in there.

This week though I fired up the game to continue playing and discovered that GTA decided I had no game saves at all and put me back to the start. I checked the locations for gamesaves and all seemed fine and the modify date for my game save was correct and matched the last time I played.

I even tried to download some alternate gamesaves from the Net and tried those but GTA still ignored them. I then deleted all the game saves and started again - waiting for the game to offer me a save point, which it did after the first opening mission. I then checked the standard gamesave locations - nothing at all - and yet my game was saved - but no idea where. Odd.

I searched my hdd for modified files and found savegames folder under c:\Program Files (x86)\<GTA install folder>\ . I put my original savegames back in there and everything returned to normal.

I can only think that this happened because during one of my game sessions I took my NAS offline to run some disk checks - and I redirect my Windows 7 profile onto the RAID 1 volume on my NAS. GTA must have switched default save locations in the absence of a profile being available to write to. I have no idea where in GTA the gamesave location is configured but it certainly seems to be a dynamic setting.

Just glad I got my gamesaves back.
~~ArdEnuff~~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series