Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight

Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
SuperNovaSS

New DLC Sneak Peak

Scratch what I said about the new mystery plane being an F6F Hellcat. It isn't. Check this out:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/ima...%20cowling.jpg

Looks like a TBM/TBF Avenger. Compare it to the recent Sneak peak. Notice any resemblance?

Everything matches! The pistons, the shape, the dimensions, even the prop hub and coloring. The TBM/TBF Avenger is also iconic enough to be in MS Flight.

I sure hope some developers read this...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
bastila13091

Its either the F4U of F6F. The picture of the Avenger you has does not have the nosecap that the plane in the weekly update has. The best choice I think is going to be the Corsair because both the Avenger and Hellcat have two openings on the upper/lower portion of the prop area.
bastila13091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
EastCoastGuy

It's another toy plane without a cockpit.

Eagerly awaiting Alaska with guarded hope.
EastCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Panaka

F4u Corsair
Panaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
RoboRay

Combined with the previous teaser pic, no question that it's an F4U. Both show small details that match perfectly.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Braincase3

Just a guess, not gonna buy it without an "office" but what about an F4F?
Braincase3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
bastila13091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braincase3 View Post
Just a guess, not gonna buy it without an "office" but what about an F4F?
The emblem was a circle on a rectangle. The F4F I dont think had that marking. It only had the circle.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
RoboRay

It was more than just the emblem. The curves and edge of the access panel visible on the right side of the earlier teaser conforms perfectly to the F4U.

The upper-most fuselage skin panel arrangement isn't exactly like one of the F4U variants I've seen, though. Several possible explanations for that, though, including repairs to the plane they used as source data, or just not worried about such a trivial detail when texturing.

Last edited by RoboRay: 05-22-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
bastila13091

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
It was more than just the emblem. The curves and edge of the access panel visible on the right side of the earlier teaser conforms perfectly to the F4U.

The upper-most fuselage skin panel arrangement isn't exactly like one of the F4U variants I've seen, though. Several possible explanations for that, though, including repairs to the plane they used as source data, or just not worried about such a trivial detail when texturing.
Well looking at some of the google pictures of both the F4U and F6F, it could really be either one. Looking at the prop pic doesnt really tell anything, other than its not the one that OP linked to. The sticker pic definitely says its not the Avenger, but I think it also says its not the corsair. I think that second marking towards the right side of the pic is the start of the elevator wings. If you look at some of the really detailed/updated hellcat pics, it shows that the sticker is farther back and that that wing almost touches it a couple inches behind and pretty much right ontop of that corner of the rectangle.

In short, I think its the hellcat because of the sticker. That prop pic is worthless.

Well maybe not worthless. Its two-toned and actually looks remarkably like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ise_(CV-6).jpg

Last edited by bastila13091: 05-22-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Braincase3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastila13091 View Post
The emblem was a circle on a rectangle. The F4F I dont think had that marking. It only had the circle.
Not all of them, several of the FM-2's had the later markings.
Braincase3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
bastila13091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braincase3 View Post
Not all of them, several of the FM-2's had the later markings.
Still doesnt make a difference. The markings still hit a very angular corner, which the picture does not have.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
RoboRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastila13091 View Post
Well looking at some of the google pictures of both the F4U and F6F, it could really be either one. Looking at the prop pic doesnt really tell anything, other than its not the one that OP linked to. The sticker pic definitely says its not the Avenger, but I think it also says its not the corsair. I think that second marking towards the right side of the pic is the start of the elevator wings. If you look at some of the really detailed/updated hellcat pics, it shows that the sticker is farther back and that that wing almost touches it a couple inches behind and pretty much right ontop of that corner of the rectangle.

In short, I think its the hellcat because of the sticker.
The root of the port horizontal stabilizer would be visible in the emblem image if it was an F6F, in the place occupied by the edge of the access panel.

F4Us have an access panel in that exact spot, opening into the empenage section below the base of the vertical stab.

The F4U's horizontal stab sits much further back than the F6F, right behind the access panel that's shown, well clear of the "camera angle".

Last edited by RoboRay: 05-22-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Sagelber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
The root of the port horizontal stabilizer would be visible in the emblem image if it was an F6F, in the place occupied by the edge of the access panel.

F4Us have an access panel in that exact spot, opening into the empenage section below the base of the vertical stab.

The F4U's horizontal stab sits much further back than the F6F, right behind the access panel that's shown, well clear of the "camera angle".
Your passion for the flight stuff would deserve some serious plane from Flight, like for instance one with a cockpit, do you agree ?
Sagelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
RoboRay

Well, as much as the F4U is by far my favorite WWII aircraft, I won't be buying the DLC without a cockpit.

Share a sad face with me?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
Sagelber

Yes and I also share some passion for flight stuff.

We should be more critic IMO against MS because each cockpitless warbird is simply a piece of ice inside a heavy hail thunderstorm.

If people reacted differently MS would think twice before releasing cockpitless toys.
Sagelber is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Microsoft Flight