Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Parlock

Charging For An Unban?

I'm not VAC banned, I just want to see what the opinion is on this.

Hypothetically speaking, do you think charging a large amount (say, £75-£100) for someone to be unbanned from VAC would work? I know timed bans didn't work, but surely the cost of the unban in this case costs more than the game you've been banned from, plus a "fine" for cheating and then a bit for Valve for having to put up with you.

Thoughts?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
ChrisL

If I want to play the game again, I'd rather just rebuy the game on a new account :P
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Tito Shivan

No thanks.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
wildfire678

Since you've used UK Sterling as a monetary unit I'll assume you may be aware of the animosity toward the Glasgow Rangers situation right now, as far as I'm concerned sporting integrity (whether in sport or online gaming) should be paramount and no amount of financial penalty should sway this.

In saying that steam do by default have a financial penalty in place, create a new account and buy the game again (hopefully this time after learning a lesson). It's not one I agree with but it is as I said already in place.
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
DonVino

ok the real PRO would be this:
Now: Cheater makes a new account and buys it again and nobady can know if this guy ever cheated or is really just fresh to steam
"New System": You could see that the guy was banned for cheating and payed for it.

but I don't think ppl really would use it that much...cause its more expensive and ppl see "CHEATER!!!!!!!111111111"
Besides I have kind of a philosophical problem with that...poor guys wont be able and rich ones just pay for bans...on the other hand it's nothing else if you drive too fast. And in the end both r cheaters anyway.

In the end it comes down to this (at least for me): It doesnt solve problems --> not needed
DonVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
TeKraken

why pay 75 - 100 when you could just open a new account and buy the game again?
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
why pay 75 - 100 when you could just open a new account and buy the game again?
Exactly.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Satoru

The major issue is that cheaters are ALREADY spending tons of money to cheat. They have to buy the game, generally they pay some idiotic website money for some hack, etc, rebuy the game when they get caught, buy ANOTHER cheat, etc etc. Monetary barriers are simply not an issue for them. You'd have to make it so cost prohibitive that any 'legitimate' use for such a system would be effectively worthless to the population it was intended for.

And lord then we'd never hear the end of all that idiotic "VAC is a money making scheme" nonsense again.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Kidofthecentury

Eh, no.
I personally like the fact that not everything can be just "bought back". You cheat, you get labeled as such. Make another account or live with it.
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
IcePOP4wHO

I wish they can be banned from creating an account but i do think permanent ban is too harsh.

i believe everyone should have a second chance, which i know some people will abuse, but shouldn't apply to everyone.
IcePOP4wHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlock View Post
I'm not VAC banned, I just want to see what the opinion is on this.

Hypothetically speaking, do you think charging a large amount (say, £75-£100) for someone to be unbanned from VAC would work? I know timed bans didn't work, but surely the cost of the unban in this case costs more than the game you've been banned from, plus a "fine" for cheating and then a bit for Valve for having to put up with you.

Thoughts?
I think it's better to force them to create a new account and rebuy the game. In a lot of ways, it's a more severe penalty. The cheater is forced to manage multiple steam accounts, which is a serious pain, or abandon their old account and rebuy whatever games they want to play- assuming they want to keep everything managed in a single account (which must be the reason why you suggested this option).

Sure, some people mitigate this by preemptively creating a second cheating account, but many don't, and each extra hoop of deterrence stops some percentage of would be cheaters.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePOP4wHO View Post
i believe everyone should have a second chance, which i know some people will abuse, but shouldn't apply to everyone.
Why? I know that if i go out and steal somebody's car that there is a punishment that will go with it. Should we all be allowed to do these naughty things once? Can i steal someones credit card details and buy a few TVs until i get caught, but even then i'm ok because i know i have that "one time only" get out clause?

People are told if they cheat they will get banned. The VAC logo contains the text 'This server is VAC controlled. Cheating will result in a permanant ban." Should we change it to "cheating may result in a slapped wrist, but knock your socks off cheating until that happens guy!".
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
cereal3

I think the account should be permabanned as it is now, then they should not be allowed to make a second account for 6months or so. Don't know how you'd force that technically but that's what I think should happen
cereal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
Why? I know that if i go out and steal somebody's car that there is a punishment that will go with it. Should we all be allowed to do these naughty things once? Can i steal someones credit card details and buy a few TVs until i get caught, but even then i'm ok because i know i have that "one time only" get out clause?

People are told if they cheat they will get banned. The VAC logo contains the text 'This server is VAC controlled. Cheating will result in a permanant ban." Should we change it to "cheating may result in a slapped wrist, but knock your socks off cheating until that happens guy!".
He said 'second chance' as in to create a new account and re-buy their games if they want to. (Or so i understand)

Many people DO learn the lesson after getting a ban. I personally have no issue with them wanting to start all over, provided they pay the price for it. (Re-buy your game library, start a new account all over again, etc)

However, as IcePOP4wHO said, people who abuse that, shouldn't be allowed to do the same, as they've proven themselves not trustworthy.

(However, i still wonder where are the measures Valve promised one year ago, to deal with these people who just create account after account to cheat and grief...)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePOP4wHO View Post
I wish they can be banned from creating an account but i do think permanent ban is too harsh.

While people appreciate the whole 'second chance' thing, Valve evaluated temp VAC bans previously. Statistically they found they were ineffective as a deterrent. Users simply continued to cheat after the ban expired.

Thus they adopted the stance of a perma-ban. The reality is that the number of users that would 'legitimately' take advantage of a temp ban are basically statistically insignificant. Thus it's better to simply perma-ban users per game.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion