Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
dragonuminator

Easy way of installing day z

Hello everyone!

I noticed that a lot of people are taking arma 2 for a spin to play day z.

Now i found this informative little guide on all the ways to be able to play this great mod. I take no credit at all, but it is really easy to understand and extremely helpful.

So if you are to lazy to search: here you go!

http://kodabar.blogspot.com/2012/05/...ma-2-free.html
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
HomerPepsi

For anyone who actually has been interested in ARMA prior to day z, use Six Updater. It gives you quick an easy access to a ton of the latest and most recently updated mods (and day z).

Last edited by HomerPepsi: 05-22-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add link
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
kodabar

Thank you for recommending my guide, dragonuminator. I'm keeping it updated as the patches keep coming. DayZ has jumped from 1.5.7 a couple of days ago to 1.5.8.4 last night. There's another update coming today (Thursday 24th).

Six Updater does work quite well, but it covers quite a number of games. I'm suggesting people use the DayZ Updater (http://worrom.com/) instead. It's specific to DayZ and is updated regularly too.

Installing DayZ is only half the battle. Getting on a server can be quite tricky (each server needs to be approved by the devs). So I've written a guide about that too:
http://kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...on-server.html

And as ArmA 2 is a bit clunky with the keys and interface, I've also written a guide about how to play DayZ:
http://kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...w-to-play.html

Last edited by kodabar: 05-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.
kodabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
chest_rockwell

n1 kodabar. + repppp

Last edited by chest_rockwell: 05-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.
chest_rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
or just read sticky
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2705492

Old 05-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
kodabar

Whilst I commend your work on your installer, Dwarden, I personally prefer Worrom's as, amongst other things, it doesn't default to windowed mode.

Your sticky post doesn't cover getting on a server or how to play.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
kodabar

DayZ - how to stay alive for more than five minutes
http://kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...more-than.html
Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
kodabar

DayZ is now at 1.6.0.1 and the Worrom updater is at 1.4.5 as of today (28th May)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
kalmis

Nice guides kodabar.
+1 rep
kalmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
HomerPepsi

Six Updater is also at 1.6.0.1
HomerPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
kodabar

Added a guide for installing and playing offline DayZ single player:
http://kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...-practice.html
Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Ausguy

Tried this mod the other day. Unfortunately the updater refused to work on my 64 bit machine, telling me to install Java??? Yet I have it installed...
I logged onto a few servers, got kicked due to incorrect version...finally got the right version & then discovered the lowest ping I could get was around 300+...I got in game, had a look around but time got the better of me & I had to wait till the next day, only to discover that I needed a new version.
Think I will wait until the versions have settled down & hopefully a few local servers will spring up with popularity.
What I saw interested me...I just dont need the hassle of manually updating everytime I want to play.
Ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
kodabar

Java can be annoying. There are two main versions (32 bit and 64 bit) and it can be a hassle getting them both installed. I'm using a 64 bit machine.

If your ping is that high, you probably need to make sure that no one on your internet connection is using any P2P software (like BitTorrent). Otherwise you might need to make sure that you're using a server local to you. The game isn't terribly sensitive to ping, but any server with a red ping listed may well kick you. Green or orange pings are preferable.

The mod is in alpha at the moment which means a lot of bugs and a lot of updates (three in the last few days and another one on the way). It's a good game, but it's a lot of hassle to get on servers and keep it updated at the moment, so you're probably right in waiting until things are a bit more stable before playing.

If you want a taste of what it's like without the hassle of servers, you can try the single player mode (there's a guide for that listed above). It only involves downloading one file and it's tiny. And then you've got no lag, but no other players. But the zombies will still come for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Ausguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabar View Post
Java can be annoying. There are two main versions (32 bit and 64 bit) and it can be a hassle getting them both installed. I'm using a 64 bit machine.

If your ping is that high, you probably need to make sure that no one on your internet connection is using any P2P software (like BitTorrent). Otherwise you might need to make sure that you're using a server local to you. The game isn't terribly sensitive to ping, but any server with a red ping listed may well kick you. Green or orange pings are preferable.

The mod is in alpha at the moment which means a lot of bugs and a lot of updates (three in the last few days and another one on the way). It's a good game, but it's a lot of hassle to get on servers and keep it updated at the moment, so you're probably right in waiting until things are a bit more stable before playing.

If you want a taste of what it's like without the hassle of servers, you can try the single player mode (there's a guide for that listed above). It only involves downloading one file and it's tiny. And then you've got no lag, but no other players. But the zombies will still come for you.
Cheers Kodabar, I might give the single player mode a go.
No local servers is the reason for the high ping...just hoping that when its released a few locals will pop up.
Ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
kodabar

Ausguy, there do seem to be some servers names ANZ which I presume stands for Australian and New Zealand and I'm guessing by your username here that they might be local to you. I haven't been able to connect to those servers (too high a ping from here in the UK), but they might just be what you're looking for.

When I'm on the server browser, I set a filter (Click the "filter" button at the bottom of that screen and then enter "DayZ" in the box marked "Mission") that only shows the DayZ servers. Then I click the "Host" label at the top left of the server browser to make it arrange the servers in alphabetical order. The ANZ servers appear at that top of the list that way.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series