Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
engy

Question Bug/Issue Steam Community Chat rooms disconnects entire groups and doesn't tell them

Ok, so several of us members of the DFC Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dwarfortress Have noticed an issue going on for several months now.
I am using the account: http://steamcommunity.com/id/engysback to access this group. (Though all other members using the chat room seem to have the same issues.)

The Steam chat room for this group (And I am willing to guess any other Steam group chat rooms) will disconnect all users; and not tell them. The chat room will look as full and as active as when you were connected, however, no one will be able to read what you say, and you will not receive any new messages. (You can send them all day long; no one will ever get them.)

If you reconnect to the chatroom, you will be alone, until you PM, email, whatever, other indivduals and let them know what happened so they can reconnect as well. (Or they figure it out themselves.)

Yesterday, 22MAY12 it happened at least two times that I know of. The last time we can figure out it happened the last message anyone got was 23MAY12 0123 EST.

Anyway, it occurs about once a day and is kind of annoying; easy to work around as we can just reconnect to the steam group chat.

I would however appreciate a message something like when your individal Steam client disconnects from Steam.

We have a few users connected pretty much 24/7 so understandable for interuptions to occur; we'd just like everyone to know when it happens; or if there is something we can do to stop it from occuring.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
moul

I'm usually connected to a group chat all day, and to check if the chat crashed, I do that : if, when you look at the number of people connected to the chat IN the chat window, that number is different from the number on the group profile page; it means the chat crashed. The only thing to do then, is to make an announcement saying the chat bugged, and people will reconnect.
moul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Snuffeldjuret

I and the folks at this http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2687955 thread would much like a fix for this problem too!
Snuffeldjuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
real4xor

I got the same thing.

Doesn`t seem to happen daily, but it does happen alot.
Chat just goes awry.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
eeeealmo

yup, been a problem for a while now. we figure chat is pretty low on their priority list but i guess if enough of us speak up that might change.
eeeealmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
millionmice

It seems to happen when steam loses contact with lots of users (peak time online might drop from 4000 to 700 in a minute) then the extra dimensional chat is created .
millionmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Fredescu

This happens daily to us too. Has it been recognised as a bug? It makes the chat rooms so frustrating to use.

Our Steam group is: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AusGAF

We usually send out an announcement if we notice it in our active times, so if you look at the announcements you can see one a day for the last week or so. Our chatroom isn't active for 24 hours, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually happening more than once a day.

Last edited by Fredescu: 06-04-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Fredescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Matt0rz

I regular several group chats and this is one of my biggest gripes about Steam. Having to rejoin 9 or so chats every time this happens (which is often 2 to 3 times a day now) is incredibly annoying, especially with the lack of an auto-rejoin feature.
Matt0rz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion