Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Confrontation

Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Lexinator

Thumbs down I wasted my money, but you don't have to. It's not worth it. Mediocre at best.

Finding reviews for this game was pretty difficult, because while publications like GameSpy and Destructoid gave it poor scores, users (other gamers) gave it fairly high marks. I trust user reviews over those of official "journalists", so I bought it during this sale and tried it out.

Wow, what a joke. Imagine Dragon Age, now take away EVERYTHING that's fun, well done, or adds to the excitement - and you will get Confrontation.

Confrontation is the only game that I have played so far (other than Game of Thrones Genesis) that I actually stopped playing after a few hours of gameplay. Yes, it's that bad. This is the most generic strategy RPG I have ever played, and that's saying a lot.

Everything from the horrible story, to the incredibly bad voice acting, to the terrible AI and pathing - all point to a sloppy and rushed game. Combat is incredibly simple, and the character development is extremely shallow and linear (as is the level design). Check out this YouTube review if I still haven't convinced you to avoid this game like the plague.

And I won't even mention the lame DRM (5 machine activation limit)

Last edited by Lexinator: 05-27-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Dedmeatzz

Sorry to say it but I agree, big let down.

Saw the description, all the right ingredients for me, fantasy, rpg, strategy, boardgame, it's a shame that it doesn't do any of it very well. Played for 6 or 7 hours to give it a fair chance, just a linear 'follow the path' walk..fight..repeat, no loot except bandages in something billed as an rpg? No exploration, limited stat increases, not really a sense of strategy, Sorry to say it but it all just feels dull. I made the mistake of getting it on preorder too just to make it worse, never again !
Dedmeatzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Godeke

User vs professional reviews.

I find it a warning sign when the user reviews differ markedly from the professional reviewers, *especially* for games with a small market.

It is fairly easy for a game to find a small cadre of diehard forum dwellers (the beta testers often fall in this category), even if the game isn't all that great. Deploy them to Metacritic and your user score looks great, no matter what the game is actually like.

It works the other way around: I have seen competitors ask their forum users to neg-rate a product.

Either way, large differences from the paid reviewers and the users means something is probably not as it seems.

My personal distrust of the paid reviewers has normally paid off in discounting too *high* of ratings, rarely do they pan a product that doesn't deserve it as that would be very dangerous to their career.
Godeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Lexinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godeke View Post
I find it a warning sign when the user reviews differ markedly from the professional reviewers, *especially* for games with a small market.

It is fairly easy for a game to find a small cadre of diehard forum dwellers (the beta testers often fall in this category), even if the game isn't all that great. Deploy them to Metacritic and your user score looks great, no matter what the game is actually like.

It works the other way around: I have seen competitors ask their forum users to neg-rate a product.

Either way, large differences from the paid reviewers and the users means something is probably not as it seems.

My personal distrust of the paid reviewers has normally paid off in discounting too *high* of ratings, rarely do they pan a product that doesn't deserve it as that would be very dangerous to their career.
I used to think the same way actually, until I spent my money on Modern Warfare 2. When I bought the game for PC, I found out that it was a hollowed out console port, with no team chat, no dedicated servers, a ton of hackers, and a plethora of other issues that the professional reviewers did not mention (but the gamers did).

The same thing happened with Dungeon Siege 3. While not as critically penned as Modern Warfare 2, it was well reviewed (but not by the users). I bought the game after looking at said reviews to find the WORST multiplayer game ever conceived (and a shallow single player experience as well).

I could go on and on, but why bother? There are many cases where a game is hailed as the next big thing (by the professionals), only to suck the big one. Yes, there are a lot of hammer legion members that post a lot of false threads and reviews of their game of choice - BUT it's often safer to buy a game that has a high scoring user mark than a game with a high scoring journalist score.

I have my own system now. I simply go on the Steam or Amazon forum and ask the gamers what they liked about the game and if it's worth the current asking price. So far this method has not steered me in the wrong direction. You get a lot of helpful people giving you their advice and reasoning... And that's just aces.
That is also the reason why I try to review and give my opinion on as many games as I play. This way I am not only helping potential buyers, but also stopping people from making the same mistake that I made (if the game is terrible, as is the case with Confrontation).
Lexinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Peckpogydah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinator View Post
I used to think the same way actually, until I spent my money on Modern Warfare 2. When I bought the game for PC, I found out that it was a hollowed out console port, with no team chat, no dedicated servers, a ton of hackers, and a plethora of other issues that the professional reviewers did not mention (but the gamers did).

The same thing happened with Dungeon Siege 3. While not as critically penned as Modern Warfare 2, it was well reviewed (but not by the users). I bought the game after looking at said reviews to find the WORST multiplayer game ever conceived (and a shallow single player experience as well).
All of the major gaming Sites/Magazines rate for the general public. The same general public that think shows like "Two and A Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory".

The dumb masses matter more then us solely because there are more of them. Look at DA:O on Steam, it has 3029 recommendations now check MW2, it has 56,672 recommendations. We all know DA:O is a much better game but over 53,000 more people recommended MW2 to their friends. Sad really.
Peckpogydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
FAButzke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckpogydah View Post
All of the major gaming Sites/Magazines rate for the general public. The same general public that think shows like "Two and A Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory".

The dumb masses matter more then us solely because there are more of them. Look at DA:O on Steam, it has 3029 recommendations now check MW2, it has 56,672 recommendations. We all know DA:O is a much better game but over 53,000 more people recommended MW2 to their friends. Sad really.
Well, to be fair, people can recommend a game on steam and tell bad things about it. So perhaps a share of thos 56000+ recommendations are bad ones.
FAButzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
serky

Woah, I really wanted this game to be good!! Good tactical RPGs are so rare these days! It's all mmo and action rpg now...

I really need my fix and I don't want to beat DA:O or King's bounty for the 10th time!!
serky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Lexinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serky View Post
Woah, I really wanted this game to be good!! Good tactical RPGs are so rare these days! It's all mmo and action rpg now...

I really need my fix and I don't want to beat DA:O or King's bounty for the 10th time!!
Did you ever try the first 3 Fallout games? Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. If not, you should look into them. Tactics for sure. The HOMM games are also all excellent.
Lexinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Dedmeatzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by serky View Post

Have you tried Elven Legacy? Good fantasy strategy title if you like good old turn-based combat, artifacts to find, troops level up, and a regular in the sales. Ruined by the turn limits so to get the best from it you have to use the editor for each map (except the defensive ones). I increased them to 99 turns then you can think about your tactics and explore the maps for items. Hours of fun !
Dedmeatzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Stexred

this game is decent i enjoyed it
i rate it 7 out of 10
Stexred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
targetbsp

You know... if this gets a really good sale (like MUCH better than it is now at 40% off) I'm still going to buy it. It so looks my kind of game.

And I have pretty strange tastes anyway where gaming is concerned. I don't like some extremely popular stuff like Skyrim and Deus Ex. And one of my top 3 games of the year last year got all of 48% on metacritic!
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
dave_

Yeah, I would get this at 75% off but no less.
dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
targetbsp

The only chance left then is a flash sale or this sale it won't even gone as low as it was in a sale a mere 6 weeks after release.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
targetbsp

Finally 75% off.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
fnazz

It still has stupid 3-rd party DRM?
fnazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Confrontation