Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
w4ssup
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 35
Intel Core i3-2120 vs AMD Phenom II X4 965

which is better for gaming,video editing, and 3d (ur opinion) :3 (because idk which to get... im a gamer but i wanna do some 3d to :I)
w4ssup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
IGoing
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 100
Posts: 184
The i3 is better, although the Phenom II has 4 physical cores. I would get the AMD because of this. But try getting at least a i5 2400, which is way better then both.
IGoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
w4ssup
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoing View Post
The i3 is better, although the Phenom II has 4 physical cores. I would get the AMD because of this. But try getting at least a i5 2400, which is way better then both.
that a 189.99 though
w4ssup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
venomblade89
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 332
Posts: 1,093
See for yourself They didn't have an i3-2120, so results will be a bit better than what you see.
venomblade89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
masta121
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Reputation: 702
Posts: 4,107
For most games the i3 has the edge, but it's very slight and in some games non existent. With a mild overclock, the Phenom will overtake it in gaming in most all situations. For video related stuff the Phenom is better.
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Sjeik
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 31
Posts: 259
Track down an i3 2130 if you can, it rivals the i5 2500K in the vast majority of games (which don't make use of 4 cores anyway)
Sjeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
cannondale06
 
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 310
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by masta121 View Post
For most games the i3 has the edge, but it's very slight and in some games non existent. With a mild overclock, the Phenom will overtake it in gaming in most all situations. For video related stuff the Phenom is better.
the 2120 is easily faster in games while consuming way less power. even if you oc the Phenom 2 X4 it will still only break even overall and will still lose in a cpu intensive game like SC 2 all while needing an aftermarket cooler and using WAY more power than it already does.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...0_5.html#sect0

Last edited by cannondale06: 05-26-2012 at 12:57 AM.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
masta121
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Reputation: 702
Posts: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale06 View Post
the 2120 is easily faster in games while consuming way less power. even if you oc the Phenom 2 X4 it will still only break even overall and will still lose in a cpu intensive game like SC 2 all while needing an aftermarket cooler and using WAY more power than it already does.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...0_5.html#sect0
Easily faster? Maybe 10fps max in some games. There's almost no games the Phenom cannot get an average of 60 or higher in. Also, Starcraft 2 hardly counts as "CPU intensive" when it only uses two cores. And the OP never said power consumption was a top priority. It's not even fair to directly compare power consumption considering that A: the Phenom has more cores and thus a larger power footprint by default, and B: It's based on a 45nm process while the i3 is 32nm.

Last edited by masta121: 05-26-2012 at 01:27 AM.
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
cannondale06
 
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 310
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by masta121 View Post
Easily faster? Maybe 10fps max in some games. There's almost no games the Phenom cannot get an average of 60 or higher in. Also, Starcraft 2 hardly counts as "CPU intensive" when it only uses two cores. And the OP never said power consumption was a top priority. It's not even fair to directly compare power consumption considering that A: the Phenom has more cores and thus a larger power footprint by default, and B: It's based on a 45nm process while the i3 is 32nm.
did you even look at the link because in some games the i3 2120 over 20% faster and in one game its 35% faster. and cpu intensive does not have to mean uses four cores you know? if a game needs two really fast cores and scales with faster cpus then it is still cpu intensive.

and it is fair to compare the power consumption since the OP is comparing two different cpus. the point is how do the cpus compare to each other and the end result is that the i3 is faster while also using less power.

so again the slower X4 already uses more power than the 2120 i3 so why even bother with it? the overclocking excuse does not fly because you will need to spend more money on a cooler and use WAY more power just to match the i3 overall in games.

Last edited by cannondale06: 05-26-2012 at 02:07 AM.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Doc_Gonzo
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 848
Posts: 1,705
I'd go for the i3, for no other reason than you can upgrade to a 2500k or better in the future
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
General Jameson
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 600
Posts: 2,029
Phenom II is pretty much EOL and even in a AM3+ motherboard the outlook does not look very promising for a future good performance upgrade. I would say go with Intel at this time.
General Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
dosbox
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Reputation: 2818
Posts: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Gonzo View Post
I'd go for the i3, for no other reason than you can upgrade to a 2500k or better in the future
This. Plus you get better PCI-E and SATA performance out of Intel chipsets.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
caveman26
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 2253
Posts: 4,657
look at it this way whats the fastest cpu amd has and an i7 2600k beats it so if you get the i3 now you can drop and i7 in later
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
madpistol
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Reputation: 923
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by masta121 View Post
Easily faster? Maybe 10fps max in some games. There's almost no games the Phenom cannot get an average of 60 or higher in. Also, Starcraft 2 hardly counts as "CPU intensive" when it only uses two cores. And the OP never said power consumption was a top priority. It's not even fair to directly compare power consumption considering that A: the Phenom has more cores and thus a larger power footprint by default, and B: It's based on a 45nm process while the i3 is 32nm.
I have to agree with this. I've seen almost no games where i3-2100 or 2120 actually benefited from the extra speed per core. Most games now benefit from more cores, and those that don't are so old that it doesn't matter anyway.

For modern games, the 965BE is better simply because it's a quad core, and a decent one at that. If you want to upgrade later to a different SB processor, the i3 makes a case for itself. However, for games, the X4 is going to outlast it.

Why people still recommend a dual core for a gaming rig is beyond me. Even the fast dual cores still don't match up to an older quad core when it comes to multi-threaded games.

Last edited by madpistol: 05-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
laazrockit
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 195
Posts: 2,179
The i3 will be slightly better for many current games, but games that are actually heavily multithreaded will perform better on the Phenom. The i3's main advantage would be for games that have really poor multicore optimization like skyrim. Both CPU's should play today's games alright. The phenom may be the more future proof processor, since it has 4 physical cores. If you go for the i3 it may give you a better upgrade path though, you could always upgrade to a socket 1155 intel i5 or i7 quad later on.

Last edited by laazrockit: 05-26-2012 at 01:12 PM.
laazrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.