Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
ps3luver

Very benefitial suggestion for the steam store

Hello, I have been using steam for over 3 years now. I have but only one complaint. I have noticed that many horrible games have been continuously being added to the store. By horrible I mean games that received 2-4/10 on review sites. I am suggesting that steam should allow users who know about or have played the game to be able to post individual reviews, and rate a game between 1-5 stars. If a game receives an overall low rating, there could be a symbol indicating that the game has received a lot of bad ratings. They could also do this for very good games, with a symbol indicating that the game had received a lot of good ratings. I am suggesting this because there are some people who act a little too quickly to purchase a game, and end up regretting it because of how bad the game actually is.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
MartinKhan

Banned
I don't think it's a good idea, since a stars-based system could be easily abused. A lot of people would downvote a game just because 'it's made by X company' or 'I didn't like [insert small little detail that almost nobody else notes or doesn't affect the gameplay at all]'.
MartinKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Satoru

Users can already create suggestions and reviews for games on their profile.

Also what games are you even referring to?
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
ps3luver

I mean games like orion dino beatdown and risen 2 dark waters. If bad games like those had warnings people wouldnt end up wasting their money. Again, it's just a suggestion.
ps3luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
MartinKhan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3luver View Post
I mean games like orion dino beatdown and risen 2 dark waters. If bad games like those had warnings people wouldnt end up wasting their money. Again, it's just a suggestion.
Still, there's some people who might enjoy those games, even when their score is low. Also, what kind of warning would you give? 'WARNING: THIS GAME IS BAD!'? Because, in any case, that would be a subjective warning, since what you find bad might be excellent for someone else.
MartinKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
ps3luver

Sorry if this sounds pointless to you, but I am just trying to save others from wasting money like I have done before.
ps3luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
kirknetic

There is already a metascore on some games and recommendations from friends.

But you should really just look for reviews concerning these games, it's not that hard, you're online to browse the Steam store, how hard should it be to look for reviews.

Do you go to a store to buy chips and see a review on the label saying "This brand of chips is bad, don't buy!" ? Do your research before hand.
kirknetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
cylon

Can't really see the people who sell their games on Steam being happy with a "this game is rubbish" tag on their store page.

With the anti-EA brigade that is going around, they'd be on -5 before the days releases were through.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
freeman4all

I don't just like STEAM, I like the idea of STEAM giving small companies and developers a running chance of doing what they love with the right tools. Normally I take reviews with a grain of salt because what one person might hate another person might love. I sometimes find no matter how good or bad the user and/or journalist's reviews are my opinion in the end is totally different. I've had to except that not every game I buy will be a winner.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
MadTinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
With the anti-EA brigade that is going around, they'd be on -5 before the days releases were through.
Exactly. Just because the ending to Mass Effect 3 sucked, that doesn't make the latest Sims expansion bad. But that won't stop the trolls.
MadTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
ChrisW

It is already hard enough for small developers to get their games published. All they need is a bunch of people that only purchase games made by large companies tagging their games as crap. Valve makes their money selling games, so why on Earth would they want to do something to discourage people from purchasing games? Not to mention a lot of the games that get very high scores are considered junk to a lot of us.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
DeductiveReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
It is already hard enough for small developers to get their games published. All they need is a bunch of people that only purchase games made by large companies tagging their games as crap. Valve makes their money selling games, so why on Earth would they want to do something to discourage people from purchasing games? Not to mention a lot of the games that get very high scores are considered junk to a lot of us.
Only allow people who own the game to rate the game. Just like recommendations. Problem solved.
DeductiveReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
stevethepocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Not to mention, what if big-name game publishers themselves start hiring people to manipulate the ratings by adding negative reviews to all the indie games? Don't tell me it couldn't happen, or that there aren't certain companies that would stoop that low.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas