Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #61
kjath

people defending D3 aren't trolls, they're just the newest breed of Blizzard gamers. the golden age of gaming is dead. welcome to the future.
kjath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #62
Xenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjath View Post
people defending D3 aren't trolls, they're just the newest breed of Blizzard gamers. the golden age of gaming is dead. welcome to the future.
The golden age of gaming was whenever you were 12 to 16.

I certainly don't disagree about the forced online thing for D3 though (Hint: It sucks. It double sucks with Australian internet).
Xenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #63
luxurybaby

i really want to quit playing diablo 3 now and wait to play Torchlight 2. I have over 3 mil gold and some good item,wanna trade for one copy of Torchlight2. Pm me if you wan to trade http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mirami/

Last edited by luxurybaby: 06-05-2012 at 09:14 AM.
luxurybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #64
azraeldr

First of all, some games are better than others. Objectively, you can tell if a game is better than another game especially with regard to your preferences as a gamer. But even then, a well designed game is apparent to those who play them. That said, while one can buy both Diablo 3 and Torchlight as I have, Torchlight 2 is the better game, even in its beta state.

I have reached level 60 in Diablo 3 and currently finishing Inferno. It is boring, tedious and the "difficulty" is artificial. I blame MMOs for convincing people that "farming" is equal to skill. It is NOT. Knowing that you can magic find some items in an area where you can handle the enemies is not a skillful act. Putting in the time to farm is not skillful--it's just another iteration of a Zynga facebook game where you just click stuff to create a sense of accomplishment. To finish Inferno, you have to farm.

Torchlight 2's beta still implies the need to farm to a degree, but it rewards exploration, long-term planning (with the skill and attribute system) and tactical execution. Diablo 3, admittedly, has a great core tactical design. The affixes on elites do challenge the player somewhat on a tactical level--kiting, timing skills against arcane, positioning away from molten/plagued/desecration. But that's it, there is no long term planning to speak of. The game doesn't reward exploration, with a very limited number of events that give fixed and boring rewards (XP or gold). Torchlight gives you item choices along with gold and XP. Special rooms and events are available only if you explore instead of doing a "run." This is vastly more fun that killing the Butcher for the 275th time.

The other merits of the game (No invasive DRM, LAN play, low price point) have been cited many times already. I just cannot believe how many people are claiming that Diablo 3 requires skill--it doesn't. All it requires is time and dedication from the player, which is a lot more like work than a fun game. So yeah:

tl;dr:

The Torchlight series is the better game--it demands real skill through good game design.
azraeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #65
Cut2TheChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraeldr View Post
First of all, some games are better than others. Objectively, you can tell if a game is better than another game especially with regard to your preferences as a gamer. But even then, a well designed game is apparent to those who play them. That said, while one can buy both Diablo 3 and Torchlight as I have, Torchlight 2 is the better game, even in its beta state.

I have reached level 60 in Diablo 3 and currently finishing Inferno. It is boring, tedious and the "difficulty" is artificial. I blame MMOs for convincing people that "farming" is equal to skill. It is NOT. Knowing that you can magic find some items in an area where you can handle the enemies is not a skillful act. Putting in the time to farm is not skillful--it's just another iteration of a Zynga facebook game where you just click stuff to create a sense of accomplishment. To finish Inferno, you have to farm.

Torchlight 2's beta still implies the need to farm to a degree, but it rewards exploration, long-term planning (with the skill and attribute system) and tactical execution. Diablo 3, admittedly, has a great core tactical design. The affixes on elites do challenge the player somewhat on a tactical level--kiting, timing skills against arcane, positioning away from molten/plagued/desecration. But that's it, there is no long term planning to speak of. The game doesn't reward exploration, with a very limited number of events that give fixed and boring rewards (XP or gold). Torchlight gives you item choices along with gold and XP. Special rooms and events are available only if you explore instead of doing a "run." This is vastly more fun that killing the Butcher for the 275th time.

The other merits of the game (No invasive DRM, LAN play, low price point) have been cited many times already. I just cannot believe how many people are claiming that Diablo 3 requires skill--it doesn't. All it requires is time and dedication from the player, which is a lot more like work than a fun game. So yeah:

tl;dr:

The Torchlight series is the better game--it demands real skill through good game design.
Dude, pay the 10 bucks and try Path of Exile and tell me what you think?
I'm into it, on my second run through, actually theres only 2 acts but at the end of the 2nd act, you go back to the start but the item drops start getting good. I'm addicted to loot hunting, I'm trying to put together an outfit for a melee character now.
Later.

Also, I couldnt play D3 again, I beat it once and have no desire to do it again right now, the loot sucks!
so ..yea.

Oh and I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 also!

Last edited by Cut2TheChase: 06-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Cut2TheChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #66
AxeoiL

i sold my diablo 3 account after playing for 2 weeks in both hardcore and softcore mode. killed diablo countless of times. nothing to look for in gameplay anymore. noticing there are no privacy in what u are wearing as others able to inspect yr build and skills. all i want is to create something unique.

whenever i saw a same character log on to my game. its usually the same spells i see. the difference is the dps only. no variety.
i am ok with the auction house, but not ok in the direction of them making the game, easy(weak ingame mechanics) for all ages to play. not much strategic planning involved. somehow i have felt it is very user friendly to the point i dont have to think to play.

my friends who reach lvl 60 at inferno was always asking me to invite them to my lower lvl game to farm gold and help me rush my way to 60.
it was tedious and taxing just for sole reason to get to lvl 60 from that point. gameplay was bad because of the repetitive boss killings.

after that it became a never ending farming for gold and looking at auction house. and i quit the game. the only reason i bought this game is because of the diablo name and everyone is looking forward to it. played since diablo 1.

after i quit the game, realise its not created by the original passionate team blizzard north. the current diablo 3 feels more of like a commercial product for making money more than a passionate game done by people who love games.

torchlight 2 tried the game in elite mode. chellenging and great fun.
story not stronger than diablo franchise but gameplay is magnificent.
i do prefer a darker and more realistic look than what it is now.
hoping a filter in the mod community will update it like it did for torchlight 1.

the offline and lan mode is created for gamers to enjoy games with families and friends.
the mods are additional for ideas to improve the future of torchlight or current game.
all these is enough to tell me this developer runic is trying to make me a good game and devoted to making fun games and not temporary games.

thx and i preordered torchlight 2 because u made a good game.
AxeoiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #67
ocbdare

Ah is not required in D3. People are just exaggerating. Also saying that D3 is for the masses unlike TL2 is silly because the ARPG genre is targeting the masses in the first place.

No server in tl2 where you can make sure people dont edit their chars should pretty much sum it up.
ocbdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #68
Antonin Artaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbdare View Post
Ah is not required in D3.
True, and nor is a functioning endgame. But one is basically the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbdare View Post
No server in tl2 where you can make sure people dont edit their chars should pretty much sum it up.
Indeed. People having fun and being creative as opposed to a pay-to-win epeen measuring contest sums it up nicely.
Antonin Artaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #69
Wichard20

its all personal preference but I did a run through of Diablo III and have not touched it sense, I would do TL II and get Diablo when its cheaper
Wichard20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #70
Kazuki

170 hours of Diablo 3. Found 1 set item, 1 UTTERLY USELESS legendary (Lvl 60 spear 132 dps), 10^10000000 useless blues, 10^1000 useless yellows.

I felt that this game was completely catered to the two types of Blizzard gamers.

A. The WOW derps.

B. Rabid blizfans, who will defend tooth and nail a failed result.

Simply unbelievable that the would simplify the game to the extent that strategy meant when to swallow a potion or pick up a health orb. I felt my intelligence insulted the moment each and every single pathetic excuse for a boss would have to explain every single movement they made to the player.

Ex. Azmodan (The greatest strategic mind in all of the hells and heavens.)"Sup breh, I haz broken into yo keeps, bout to do x and x so make sure you're ready kay. Relax breh I will send idiots to the job, just point and click."

Diablo: Umm you cant close my portal kay. Player: lulz watch me breh.

To those defending D3, please reconsider. Do not try to convince yourself that your purchase was right. We all here for you man, just let it out. Know that you also got duped.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/p..._that_feel.png
Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #71
Cut2TheChase

D3
12 YEARS to make this game, 12!
Cut2TheChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #72
OmegaDL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut2TheChase View Post
D3
12 YEARS to make this game, 12!
Actually 7.

Blizzard North was working on Diablo 3 but Vivendi not satisfied with what they worked on scrapped it entirely back in 2005, leaving the WoW dev staff to pick the pieces around 2006.

They should have kept the Blizzard North version as a blueprint and expanded on it instead of scrapping it and turning the game into something else.

Some people say that Blizzard North and the Shaefer Brother’s vision for Diablo 3 being shutdown back in 2005 was a blessing, but I’m certainly not seeing it. One does not simply remove the original talent that created a series and expect the end product to remain the same.

That’s akin to Metal Gear being developed without Hideo Kojima’s input, or a new Mario title without Shigeru Miyamoto’s involvement. These things will eventually happen but not everyone can imagine the end result.

Diablo 3 did not remain as is during the same transition either. Although I won’t say all changes were bad, but I certainly don’t have many good things to say either.
OmegaDL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #73
AxeoiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaDL50 View Post

Some people say that Blizzard North and the Shaefer Brother’s vision for Diablo 3 being shutdown back in 2005 was a blessing, but I’m certainly not seeing it. One does not simply remove the original talent that created a series and expect the end product to remain the same.

That’s akin to Metal Gear being developed without Hideo Kojima’s input, or a new Mario title without Shigeru Miyamoto’s involvement. These things will eventually happen but not everyone can imagine the end result.

Diablo 3 did not remain as is during the same transition either. Although I won’t say all changes were bad, but I certainly don’t have many good things to say either.
i totally agree with u.
i believe if blizzard north had the chance to do d3, they would love their baby(since diablo 1) to be an epic game that everyone will remember in history.
by creating d3 with a new team from scratch, could have a new direction to the game, but they dont have the vision to how diablo started, breaking the story apart and mess up the whole game.

the one thing i like about d3 is the sound effects.

TL2 cant wait for yr release!
AxeoiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #74
pockystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogfantasies View Post
For one thing, anyone with half a brain would set a buyout price, so there isn't really much "competition" there.

And I'm unsure about pvp at launch, however, T2 will be fully moddable so it wouldn't take much to add in pvp.

Of course, D3 has no pvp right now, and no announcement as to when it would go live. Could very well be that by the time it went live, t2 would have a very active "competitive" community that d3 would have a hard time chipping at.

Question is ultimately moot though, since neither game was ever built as, or billed as, an e-sport. So what makes D3 in any way more competitive than T2? The graphics? Personally I like the artistic style of T2, so in that way it already wins - for me.
QFT, if only the real Diablo team worked on D3 it would be so much better. I'm glad some of them are working on Torchlight II hence why it's going to be good(An indie game is competing with an AAA title lolwut)?

Also I have to agree that T2 graphics are fine, you can use TF2 for example as a competitive game even though it has cartoon graphics. That's my 2C

Last edited by pockystick: 06-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
pockystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #75
Arska822

Played now 3 week D3 and can say its Whorst blizz game EVER.
I really liked torchlight and looking forward to Torchlight 2
Arska822 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series