Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
yuyudude112

Is Pyro Really A More Offensive Class Than Defensive?

When you choose your loadout the game segregates the classes into three groups. Offense, defense, and support. They put the pyro in the offensive slot but I rarely play pyro on offense, I find the pyro to be one of the better classes for defense, not suited for offensive engagements most of the time. The pyro has very little range so getting past sentries can be a huge problem, which is a staple of playing TF2 on offense. He's great for spy checking and can airblast people off the point, all to which I see as defensive adaptations. Am I in the minority, do a lot of people play pyro on offense?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Barkjon

In the beginning of the game, Pyro didn't have airblast, which alone gives the Pyro all it's defensive capabilities.
Barkjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
VenomousPastry

The offensive, defensive and support class thingys mean absolutely nothing.
VenomousPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Nismu

Mostly pyro is lot worse on offense, but same time on last points he can be quite handy, being able to keep enemies away and so on.
And he is quite handy to clear area once rest of team has put enemies in chaos.
Nismu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Blk_Mage_Ctype

Pyro has become a sort of jack-of-all-trades class, if you will. Able to fulfill the roles of an Offensive, Defensive, or Support class depending on the loadout you equip him with.

In my opinion, Pyro works best on defense, but that's most likely just because I enjoy playing defensively more than I do offensively.
Blk_Mage_Ctype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Demoman 2101

Pyro is rather a support class.

Extinguish teammates
Keep Spies away
Airblast projectiles away
Removes Sappers
Spread chaos with afterburn (it's underrated I know)

How it should be arranged.

Offense
Scout
Soldier
Demoman

Defense
Heavy
Engineer
Sniper

Support
Medic
Pyro
Spy
Demoman 2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
TheGameMage

Depends on your loadout.

The standard Pyro model these days is a Defensive/Support one, but we'll just wait and see when that trend ends.
TheGameMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
FinalVito

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousPastry View Post
The offensive, defensive and support class thingys mean absolutely nothing.
5char
FinalVito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Cooper Kid

I play Pyro with the Degreaser, Shotgun and Maul - a loadout geared specifically towards the defensive, and particularly towards defending Sentry nests. The Degreaser has slightly less firepower (if you'll pardon the pun) than the stock Flamethrower, but the quicker weapon switch is excellent when you're potentially flaming a Spy to detect and scare him, quickly removing any Sappers he's placed, then finishing him off with the Shotgun.
Cooper Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
vonbach

He's support now.
vonbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
ctb

Pyro's more supportive on defence.
ctb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Norwegian_Shop

Backburner on Payload Defense. Suddenly you're offensive. In a way.
Norwegian_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Craylash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoman 2101 View Post
Pyro is rather a support class.

Extinguish teammates
Keep Spies away
Airblast projectiles away
Removes Sappers
Spread chaos with afterburn (it's underrated I know)

How it should be arranged.

Offense
Scout
Soldier
Demoman

Defense
Heavy
Engineer
Sniper

Support
Medic
Pyro
Spy
this sounds about right.
Craylash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
vivhero

The whole "Offense, Defense, Support" thing is very misleading. It tends to imply certain things, such as Offense being all direct combat classes, Defense classes entirely based on protecting an area, and support being all based around aiding the team through various buffs and such. These implications are pretty misleading and should be reorganized into something like this.

Scout- True Offense, entirely offensive, a combat class with high damage up close and speed but limited defensive ability or the fire power to defend.

Soldier- Defensive Offense, a jack of all trades, he has the fire power and advanced mobility to go on the assault, true to being offensive, while having fire power and enough crowd control to provide decent defense.

Pyro- Supportive Offense, a very active class, being support oriented but having a solid Speed/HP ratio, and aiding with the offensive by protecting the Medic and his Pocket, Keeping people on the front lines safe from ambushes, and of course pressuring a team with ambushes that light the enemy team and keep a Medic Busy. Also Uberstalling. He is an offensive class, but in a much more different way, being less combat oriented and more based around keeping your team able to flow and function and continue to push.

Demoman- Offensive Defense, based around crowd control, area denial, and dealing damage, has the advanced mobility needed to get to the battlefield fast, typically placed more in the back of a team due to classes like Scout and Soldier being able to easily get in his face if he tries to play too aggressively.

Heavy- True Defense, do you really need to ask why? The dude is a freaking wall, a walking fortress for the team to reorganize and get healing as a Medic will often use them for cover (plus its easier for teammates to notice a screaming fat man than a small German dude at a distance),

Engineer- Supportive Defense, Teleporters and Dispensers allow support, Sentries allow area denial in the back to prevent flankings from Scouts and to block off key areas that could make or break a game for your team.

Spy- Offensive Support, he is the support class that gets close and personal the most, taking key picks at certain members of the other team and causing havoc and allowing his teammates to get the job done with much less issue.

Medic- True Support, the fuel that keeps a team going and allows anyone to reach their true potential with spreading heals and topping off the combat classes to allow them to get the job done. The game has many of its core elements based around him, such as advanced mobility through rocket and sticky jumps and Ubers, overhealing to allow additional survivability. He lacks much firepower but keeps the train going and is one of the most vital members of any team to keep alive.

Sniper- Defensive Support, taking key picks at a distance and helping deny enemies. He is Supporting fire which can weaken the enemy team by knocking the health off combat classes and killing specific targets, but lacks the fire power and health needed to defend up close.
vivhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
BallisticLarva

Honestly, I think the 'Offense, Defense, Support' thing is complete bullcrap. Every bit of it. Here's how it should of been.

Assassination
Scout- Runs in, kills squishy classes, runs out.
Spy- Backstabs and high value target picks.
Sniper- Boom, headshot.

Crowd Control
Heavy- Mows down hoards of enemies.
Demoman- Sticky and Grenade spam can level a group completely.
Pyro- Flaming Groups actually does work rather well if they don't have a Heavy. Oh, and spam reflection.

Support
Engineer- Dispenser, Teleports, and even Sentries are valuable assets to the team.
Medic- Pretty obvious, what with his healing and ubers

Jack of All Trades
Soldier- I think he fits pretty snugly in his own category, since he is designed to do everything decently.

Just my $0.02
BallisticLarva is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2