Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3

Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
SPAMCraft1

Thumbs up (SOLVED) Fallout 3 Freezes/Crashes!!!

SOLUTION: Find and open (backup first!) the fallout.ini file in "My Documents\My Games\Fallout3"

Find

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add this line after it

iNumHWThreads=2

Okay. I've heard that MANY MANY MANY people have trouble with Fallout 3 GOTY. It crashes and freezes SO much that it gets NEARLY UNPLAYABLE.

I know that people have the exact same problem as I do, so it would be very beneficial for someone to take the time and RESPOND to this.

I've heard that editing a .ini file and adding a line of code to it fixes it, but who wants to take the risk of corrupting their entire game? Does that work?

Usually after a system restart I can play. Then, when I put my PC to "Sleep" and turn it back on later, it crashes when I fire a gun, go into a new area, talk to someone, anything really.

Here are my system specs if that will do any good.

Windows 7 64 Bit System
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (planning on an upgrade to the 560)
AMD FX-8150 eight-core processor 3.6GHz
8 GB RAM
1.3 TB Hard-drive

Any ideas/solutions would be hot.

Last edited by SPAMCraft1: 05-28-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Solved!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
sh4ase

Yeah, i have the same problem here, I read somewhere in the forums that it has problems with windows 7 64 bit version, since i also have it and it freezes, although just in certain areas, so far i just found 2 areas where it froze and i had to quickly move between saves (i'm not sure about the windows 7 64 bit thing, but that's all i know)
sh4ase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
Dr Scuttles

Altering the .ini won't corrupt your entire game. And at the very least, common sense dictates that you make a backup of and kind of file you edit in the event that you do cause a problem.

The fix you're referring to should help if you're experiencing a random crash without fail within 5-15 minutes of starting the game. It sounds like this is the problem you're having.

Find and open (backup first!) the fallout.ini file in "My Documents\My Games\Fallout3"

Find

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add this line after it

iNumHWThreads=2

For some reason the Fallout 3 engine just doesn't like systems with more than 2 processor cores. It probably hates your 8-core computer. Electronic jealousy or something. Hopefully that fix should make Fallout 3 actually run.
Dr Scuttles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
SPAMCraft1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scuttles View Post
The fix you're referring to should help if you're experiencing a random crash without fail within 5-15 minutes of starting the game. It sounds like this is the problem you're having.
Well, my problem is that it runs smooth sometimes. I turn off the game, open it later, and within a minute it crashes. I open the game again, and it crashes earlier. When I restart my computer, then it goes back to being smooth until I shut it down and launch it again. I'll try that fix
SPAMCraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
SPAMCraft1

Works like a charm. THANKS ALOT!!!!! Do what Dr Scuttles does and you will not crash at all!
SPAMCraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
abraxus175

Nope, still CTD on startup of the game. And only with AII turned "on"....
abraxus175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
BoringPat

Quote:
Altering the .ini won't corrupt your entire game. And at the very least, common sense dictates that you make a backup of and kind of file you edit in the event that you do cause a problem.

Find and open (backup first!) the fallout.ini file in "My Documents\My Games\Fallout3"

Find

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add this line after it

iNumHWThreads=2

For some reason the Fallout 3 engine just doesn't like systems with more than 2 processor cores. It probably hates your 8-core computer. Electronic jealousy or something. Hopefully that fix should make Fallout 3 actually run.
Thanks, it works like a charm. Windows 7 64bit with Intel i3 CPU.
BoringPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
snapjak

For reference, here is the older thread that has the exact same solution, plus other possibles.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1328904
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Samzig

Doesn't help. Still crash to desktop all the damn time.

I've also tried the stutter remover (mod).

Game is unplayable .... sad. =(
Samzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
amckern

Quote:

bUseThreadedAI=0

change it to

bUseThreadedAI=1

Add this line after it

iNumHWThreads=2
Thanks!
amckern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Another Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxus175 View Post
Nope, still CTD on startup of the game. And only with AII turned "on"....
CTDs at startup are unrelated to this issue. This fix is for freezing during game-play.
Another Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
taveyard

Talking Woo Hoo

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Before using these instructions I was unable to even move around in the vault. I just left the vault and all DLC loaded with no problems. I already played this on my Xbox but I wanted to try it on my PC and had to grab it when it was on sale.

Thanks for the help and time everyone put in to make this work.
taveyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Bennethon

Thank you! This thread should be stickied.
Bennethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
element_x_82

Fix doesn't help

When I apply the changes to the .ini file it makes it worse. As soon as I load a save it freezes within seconds. Without the fix it takes about 5-15 min. Not sure what to do but I really want to play this game again. It's one of my favorites. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
element_x_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
PurSpyk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element_x_82 View Post
When I apply the changes to the .ini file it makes it worse. As soon as I load a save it freezes within seconds. Without the fix it takes about 5-15 min. Not sure what to do but I really want to play this game again. It's one of my favorites. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, same issues as you. I have a 6 core processor, non of these fixes work, game will continually crash or stop responding. I also have a dual core pc, and it also crashes, with the same fixes. One pc is running Windows 7 32 bit, the other Windows 64bit.

This game is a buggy mess!
PurSpyk!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3