Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
GoDMiN

Windows mouse Cursor showing up mid game

I have no idea why this has started, but anytime my game gets alt tabbed and I open the skyrim window again my windows mouse cursor starts showing up (ex, I have both the skyrim AND the windows cursor on my screen) Its really annoying and I have no idea how to fix it.

Sure I could just stop alt tabbing, but now my game seems to want to alt tab every 5mins or so on its own and this problem is ruining the game for me. The only way I seem to be able to fix it is restarting skyrim.

I'm running a triple monitor set-up but I'm not running it in eyefinity.

AMD P2 720 2.8ghz
4gb ram
ATi 5850
Windows 7 64bit
Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Breton Warrior

Run it in Window Mode with the Borderless Window Mod to use the whole screen, this apparently can help as Skyrim in its normal full screen mode does not work well with Alt-Tab, never has from what I've read in the forums.

No idea why though TBH?
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
GoDMiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
Run it in Window Mode with the Borderless Window Mod to use the whole screen, this apparently can help as Skyrim in its normal full screen mode does not work well with Alt-Tab, never has from what I've read in the forums.

No idea why though TBH?
It happens in both full screen and windowed mode, though I haven't tried running it in borderless. I'll give that a try.
GoDMiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
analog_relic

It happens to me when I have second monitor connected. Change to show desktop on monitor X only and it stops.
analog_relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
_Budweiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDMiN View Post
I have no idea why...
Quote:
my game gets alt tabbed
Quote:
ATi 5850
Windows
----
Basically, its a feature of the "DesktopDevice capabilities" of Windows sytems. the window surface buffer(s) is (are) updating while the game is active even if not in focus, the Desktop surface, however cannot be considered "in front" or "behind" the game buffer surface when you use task-switching, since the Game Window is not technically 'minimise-able', so only the focus changes.

When changing tasks in this manner, make sure to have some other window open ALWAYS (handy if you have a dual/triple etc. monitor setup) - Personally I have TaskManager open. Do not allow all windows to close apart from the game window. This will only exascerbate the initial issue.

When returning to TESV:Skyrim, do not just use Cool-Switch, but note the state of the Taskbar tab for the game. It may be "hot/focus" (depressed), "normal" (normal) or "notify" (this is typically flashing or highlighted by default).

If the Taskbar tab for the game is in "notify" or "normal" state, make sure to Restore the game to the foreground (this is why I have Task Manager open )then click the Taskbar tab for the game to ensure it is on the "hot/focus" (depressed) state.

Your problem may return, however, if pop-up 'alert' windows (i.e. from a Firewall for instance) do not specify "TopMost" flags and may appear 'behind' the game window, despite having "stolen" focus. In this case, repeat the above steps once the pop-up has been dealt with to remove the cursor each time.
_Budweiser_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
BensonTito

Banned
Have you applied the beta (1.6 something) patch too? This has popped up for me since then. Usually it only happens after I've alt-tabbed, then I have to restart and it goes away.
BensonTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
FarplaneWind

Yeah, I'm having this problem as well after installing the 1.6 beta, except as soon as I go to load my first game, the load screen freezes for a moment, then the cursor pops up and remains even after the load screen ends.
FarplaneWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
sarojz

I noticed this too when I alt-tab, very annoying.
sarojz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
pnx235

The issue is not ALT-TAB at all, rather than a mess up in the last beta patch, but use of ALT-TAB does make it worse.

I first noticed this after installing the beta patch a few days ago, the windows mouse pointer is visible if I move view towards the top left of the screen. This is upon loading of the game with no ALT-TAB use at all, so this isn't the cause of the problem (rather than obviously the beta patch). Although if I ALT-TAB, the windows pointer is then visible all the way across the top of the screen and all of the left of the screen if I move view there. Restarting after this will cure the all over top and left but not the original topleft cursor issue.

I have tried removing the beta patch but that does not remove this issue for me, so have just put it back on. Hopefully they will sort this nice new error along with a few others in the full patch I've learned to live with a multitude of errors and glitches on Skyrim, but this is really annoying!
pnx235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
KingReploid

this happens to me too and I don't even alt tab
KingReploid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
jfmherokiller

i hope they fix this issue soon.
jfmherokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
charonn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmherokiller View Post
i hope they fix this issue soon.
Ditto
charonn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
l0n6hun73r

I had the same issue. Somehow Ctrl + Alt + Del and closing the window again by ESC did the trick for me...
l0n6hun73r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
ESCUDO

Go to Control Panel then go to Mouse Properties under Hardware, then on Mouse go to "Pointers" and remove the checkbox from "Allow Themes to Change Mouse Pointers" and apply
ESCUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Zenpo

Tried this and it didn't work for me. Neither did the disabling visual themes on the TESV.exe file compatibility tab.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Zenpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V