Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Dredlock

Steam bandwidth even not dowloading

I have a new Asus Router that monitors my lan usuage. I noticed some lag and looked at it.
A computer on my Lan that was playing Mass Effect 1 (not downloading) was using from 100K/s to 2000k/sec having spikes every few seconds.

I looked at the computer to verify that it was not downloading any steam games and it was not.
He is playing it in single player mode too.

Why would steam or Mass effect use that much bandwidth?

Might have to install netlimiter to limit steam to 50k/sec.

I play wc3 and starcraft neither need more than 10k/sec to play.

Anyone have a clue as to why steam is such a hog even when not downloading a game?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Dredlock

Yea its Steam

Even without a game running steam uses a ton of bandwidth. Will take it all too.

It must be constantly loading advertisements etc.

But using 2000 k/sec in 5 second intervals is way over the top.

How can they write games and make such a lagging front end app. I'll play games in offline mode if allowed.

For now I had to invoke QOS on my router to curtail steams seemingly endless thirst to steal all a networks bandwidth.
Dredlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Dredlock

Get this, I run netlimiter 3.0 and find that steam connects to many ips much like bitorrent.

It will take 2000k/sec for unknown reasons and if i limit it to 5k/sec the steam interface works fine no issues.

So if it can operate at 5k/sec why does it try to take 2000k/sec if its not capped?

I play starcraft 2 with firefox open and streaming a net radio show and it only takes 6k/sec. Starcraft never tries to grab all the bandwidth so why does Steam do this?

I would like some answers from them on this issue. Its caused many problems with many users. For example roomates complaining of slow internet. Well if 4 people had steam loaded that pretty much will eat up all the bandwidth.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Satoru

Are you sure it's not trying to update a game or something? It could be looping due to an issue with your install not being able to download/install updates properly.

Also you could try putting the home page of Steam to 'News' or something so it wouldn't theoretically take up so much bandwidth. I've never seen the steam store page take up that much in general however. The banner cycles are static once the page loads
Satoru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Dredlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Are you sure it's not trying to update a game or something? It could be looping due to an issue with your install not being able to download/install updates properly.

Also you could try putting the home page of Steam to 'News' or something so it wouldn't theoretically take up so much bandwidth. I've never seen the steam store page take up that much in general however. The banner cycles are static once the page loads
I tried it on 3 different PCs. I would not have know if I did not have a way to monitor the net traffic. I have 30Mbit cable and it can handle quite a bit.

If you have a router with a traffic manager/viewer you can see it live. I could also feel it lag me while playing sc2 with the net monitor running on my second lcd.

Only when i shut off steam or use netlimiter to throttle it will it cease from spiking.

I checked to make sure that all downloads were paused.

Its possible that even though they are paused it tries to dowload them then stops. On regular steam downloads the graphics is a flat line almost at say 2000k/sec.

The behavior Im seeing is a spike to 2000k/sec for like 5 seconds then it goes down to 50 then 5 seconds later it spikes to 2k. Very strange.

Last edited by Dredlock: 05-31-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
BLITZDace

With Steam running atm, it's using between 2B/s and 40B/s. Most of the time it's staying at 2B/s. Certainly nowhere near the figures stated here.

If I open it up and look at the Store it does open a bunch (about 10) connections and they're using about 120KB/s all added up. They went away after about a minute.

My connection is 60Mb/s so it could eat alot more bandwidth if it wanted to - so it sounds like it's from user activity, community stuff or background patching/game updates. Your steam connection utilisation is not normal on an idle Steam from my perspective.
BLITZDace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Satoru

It's most likley downloading the next image on the store page. You can try setting the home page for Steam to your Games page instead and see if you see the same behavior.
Satoru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
restlessgamer75

Banned
is there a way to cut down the bandwidth usage?
restlessgamer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Dredlock

I think I have it figured out.

I got on my sons computer and installed netlimiter 3 and looked at what was eating up the bandwidth.

Microsoft mediacenter update service AND tcp/ip Ping command was connecting to like 100 different ips.

Looks like he has some slave virus/trojan which turns his computer into a fileserver.

Its sending a ton of information. Scanning his system as I type.

Anyone seen this type of malware before?

Last edited by Dredlock: 06-01-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips