Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
BrunoBRS

"Could not connect to Steam Network" only on start up

i think it started with the latest patch, but since then, 90% of the time, steam won't boot with my PC. instead it'll give me the "could not connect to steam network" error. problem is, there's nothing wrong with my connection or steam network, because attempting to login a second time works just fine.

anyone know the reason it's been doing this?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Satoru

It could be that the IP address hasn't completely loaded yet once you start steam. This is more likely in a wifi scenario, since the actual wifi connection doesn't get established until you fully log in, while in a wired scenario the stack is already loaded by the time you see the desktop.

I would see if your issue goes away if you go wired rather than wifi.

You may need to limit the # of things that start on login otherwise. Also perhaps a defrag of your drive would be useful as well.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
ricmadeira

I have the exact same problem. Started a while ago, possibly with the latest patch; it took me a few days to notice it was doing this every single day.

My Steam does not launch automatically when the computer boots up, and yet I always get the error when I start Steam for the first time after the computer has restarted.

It is not a wifi issue, either, I'm connected through LAN cable to my router. I keep meaning to restart my router, but I always forget. Need to check if that might solve the problem.

Are you in Portugal by any chance, Bruno? I am.
ricmadeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
ANormalUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
It could be that the IP address hasn't completely loaded yet once you start steam. This is more likely in a wifi scenario, since the actual wifi connection doesn't get established until you fully log in, while in a wired scenario the stack is already loaded by the time you see the desktop.

I would see if your issue goes away if you go wired rather than wifi.

You may need to limit the # of things that start on login otherwise. Also perhaps a defrag of your drive would be useful as well.
It's not because of the computer starting up. I have STEAM not to open automatically upon boot-up and trying to start STEAM still gives the same error upon the first time running, no matter when you try running it, and then works the second time.
ANormalUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Sikarier

Same here, on Windows XP and Windows 7. Wired Network, PC online. Login successful at second atempt.
Sikarier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
BrunoBRS

i'm using a wired connection, and steam is pretty much the only program that boots with my PC. used to have XFire too, but XFire started literally keeping me from launching certain games, so i got rid of it.

though the problem started before i got rid of XFire and has been around since.
BrunoBRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
raupi

Same here, i start steam manually, have a wired connection and it always works on the second try.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
Vaskania

Started happening to me too within the last couple of days.

-Steam is not set to run on boot.
-Windows 7 64bit
-Hardwired into a Netgear WNDR4500 router.
-Comcast Cable
Vaskania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
El Centinela

same problem here, only the first time after starting windows
El Centinela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
Tito Shivan

I'm having the same issue, but it's a little hit&miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
In my case happens on a wired connection and i have indeed a valid IP and network connection when the error popups (Static IP and browser loads up before Steam) But i don't discard it being due to the AV doing yet 'it's stuff' on startup or firewall rules or windows policies not being totally up during startup.

But as the error is a bit 'hit & miss' i haven't delved really in what could be the cause.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Noizekick

Same issue here since some time.

-wired connection (DSL)
-Windows 7 64bit, SP1
-Steam's not set up to auto-start from boot, I always do this manually
-I have to kill the Steam.exe process when I get the error after I start Steam for the first time (hitting OK doesn't exit Steam, at least not within the 20 seconds before I actually kill the process). Steam will work properly after loading it for a second time
Noizekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizekick View Post
-I have to kill the Steam.exe process when I get the error after I start Steam for the first time (hitting OK doesn't exit Steam, at least not within the 20 seconds before I actually kill the process). Steam will work properly after loading it for a second time
I have noticed that too. After the error, the Steam.exe process stays on, which prevents re-launching the application unless i manually kill the process.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Noizekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
I have noticed that too. After the error, the Steam.exe process stays on, which prevents re-launching the application unless i manually kill the process.
Yeah, I always have to kill the process before I can retry.

Though, today Steam started up in one go, without any problems. This issue seems to be pretty random.
Noizekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
polka

same here, i manually start steam after the pc has been on a while and it doesnt connect the first time, i have to start steam twice.

im not on wifi, i connect to router through an ethernet cable.
polka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
BS_1

I'm having the same problem.

Oddly enough, I get the popup but I still sign in. (I saw myself sign on from my other Steam account on my laptop.) I didn't try messaging myself, but I doubt I would have gotten a message as I couldn't access any other part of Steam besides the error message. This has been happening for a few days now.

(Going off Noizekick's post):
-Windows 7 x64
-Wireless connection.
-Steam set to automatically start.
-I have to kill the process if I try starting before I 'sign on'. If I wait till I see myself sign on, I can just click on Steam and it will open.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips