Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
kinggun680

Steam Support Ticket: Response Time?

I'm pretty anxious as a hacker just hijacked my hotmail, yahoo, and steam. When will be before Valve looks at my ticket? Also, will filling out credit card number, how I purchased each item, redeem codes for some games be alright for evidence? Thanks for any help. It's close to 24 hours now.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Steam support can take a few days to get back to you. However, do note that the time taken can vary according to the amount and detail of data you give them.

That said, yes, credit card number, CD keys, and as much purchase data that you can give them as evidence is helpful.

Just hang tight there. Do be aware it is weekend as well, so they might be a little busier too.

Thought for the future - As the hacker got access to all those things, can I ask if you used the same password combination for each of them? If you did, avoid that at all costs in the future. Make absolutely sure you keep all your passwords/names unique.

If they didn't gain it that way, do you know how it happened? If you have ANY DOUBT whatsoever, you will likely have some sort of malware or virus. If this is the case, while you're waiting, you should start going through the process of nailing it down and getting rid of it with full, intensive scans, etc.

Otherwise, as soon as you get your account back, they'll take it straight back.

Last edited by crunchyfrog555: 06-01-2012 at 07:31 PM.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Justin97927

Banned
Once steam support replies, you need to scan a cd key or type one in that you purchased for proof that it is you. Once you get you're steam account back, which I have no doubts that you won't, BE SURE TO immediately change your steam account password to 6 random letters, 6 random numbers, and 6 symbols. Feel free to use more, but that is my suggestion. I highly recommend that at least three of the random letters are capitalized. Be sure that the random characteristics have no personal meaning/significance to you. They SHOULD be random for MAXIMUM security. That should be an 18 characteristic password. Once you change it, then make a new email, use it for your steam account ONLY, and follow the same password format listed above but make sure the EMAIL PASSWORD AND STEAM ACCOUNT PASSWORD are different with the same format of random 18 characteristics. Be sure that Steam Guard is enabled. Also, you should right down the two passwords on a piece of paper so you don't forget them. Good Luck friend and I hope this helps.

ONE LAST THING: To answer your question, my experience is 48 hours but I don't think there is an exact waiting time.
Justin97927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
kinggun680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin97927 View Post
Once steam support replies, you need to scan a cd key or type one in that you purchased for proof that it is you. Once you get you're steam account back, which I have no doubts that you won't, BE SURE TO immediately change your steam account password to 6 random letters, 6 random numbers, and 6 symbols. Feel free to use more, but that is my suggestion. I highly recommend that at least three of the random letters are capitalized. Be sure that the random characteristics have no personal meaning/significance to you. They SHOULD be random for MAXIMUM security. That should be an 18 characteristic password. Once you change it, then make a new email, use it for your steam account ONLY, and follow the same password format listed above but make sure the EMAIL PASSWORD AND STEAM ACCOUNT PASSWORD are different with the same format of random 18 characteristics. Be sure that Steam Guard is enabled. Also, you should right down the two passwords on a piece of paper so you don't forget them. Good Luck friend and I hope this helps.

ONE LAST THING: To answer your question, my experience is 48 hours but I don't think there is an exact waiting time.
What if I used a credit card to buy online?
kinggun680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggun680 View Post
As much data as you can give that ONLY YOU can know is helpful. It doesn't have to be specifically CD keys.

Also, is your credit card stored on the account? If so, I'd keep tabs and/or make your card provider aware, as they might run up some purchases.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Justin97927

Banned
Quote:
To my knowledge, the credit card gets wiped once the account is logged into another location. I am almost 100% sure. I think you should call your bank up though and tell them to put a hold on your credit card just in case. Also, explain to them what happened.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
kinggun680

Yep, it is not stored.

I redeem'd Humble Bundles on there, and I'll give steam the keys.
I also bought several games using paypal, and 1 using cc. Hopefully I will get it back, but it's this irritating feeling when I'm waiting. Though I guess it'll be back to normal.

Thanks guys! How do we +rep?
kinggun680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Justin97927

Banned
Quote:
Yep, it is not stored.

I redeem'd Humble Bundles on there, and I'll give steam the keys.
I also bought several games using paypal, and 1 using cc. Hopefully I will get it back, but it's this irritating feeling when I'm waiting. Though I guess it'll be back to normal.

Thanks guys! +rep to everyone who responded!
Thanks, and I know how it feels. My account was hacked, and I lost it for 6 months. I just got it back 4 months ago. Anyways, I wish the best of luck to you friend, if there is anything else you need, feel free to ask. Have a nice day.

Edit: Whoops, I missed that. The rep button under the account. It looks like a balance beam type of see-saw.
Here:
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/...owtoaddrep.png

Last edited by Justin97927: 06-01-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips