Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
welce

Russian steam in Germany?

So I just changed to a new isp and I noticed today on steam they are charging 500 py6 and other amounts of py6. I am not in Russia. I am in Germany and I use Euros. I didn't do anything new, when I check it even says I am in Germany. So I don't see why Steam is getting confused.
Any idea why it's thinking I am in Russia and how to get it back to Normal?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
welce

Since it's been several hours, I'm hoping someone can help now? Since most people who help are awake at night.
welce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
DustySheep

Your paying option you registered it with might be in another country?
DustySheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
heffebaycay

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by welce View Post
So I just changed to a new isp and I noticed today on steam they are charging 500 py6 and other amounts of py6. I am not in Russia. I am in Germany and I use Euros. I didn't do anything new, when I check it even says I am in Germany. So I don't see why Steam is getting confused.
Any idea why it's thinking I am in Russia and how to get it back to Normal?
Hello,

If you're using your web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc.) to use the Steam store, simply click on this link: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=DE

This will switch you back to the German store.

If you are having this issue from within the Steam Client, please open the Steam Console by clicking on this link. In the console, type the following command and hit Enter:
Code:
user_info
This command will print some information about your Steam account and your connection to the Steam servers in the console. What do you see on the "IPCountry:" line? DE? RU?
heffebaycay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
welce

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffebaycay View Post
Hello,

If you're using your web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc.) to use the Steam store, simply click on this link: http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=DE

This will switch you back to the German store.

If you are having this issue from within the Steam Client, please open the Steam Console by clicking on this link. In the console, type the following command and hit Enter:
Code:
user_info
This command will print some information about your Steam account and your connection to the Steam servers in the console. What do you see on the "IPCountry:" line? DE? RU?
Thanks, it helped with the Browser.
As for the Steam client.
It said my IPCountry was RU. Is there a way to change it back to DE?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Smile286

Quote:
As for the Steam client.
You have gotten a russian IP. :-)
If you have dynamic IP feature, restart router and/or reconnect in system. If you still getting russian IPs, you may want to contact your ISP about this issue...
Smile286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
heffebaycay

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
As for the Steam client.
I'm afraid solving this issue in the client isn't that easy. The IP address you have on these forums is definitely registered in Germany, which leaves three possible explanations:
  • Steam GeoIP database entry for this IP address is inaccurate and needs to be updated
  • Somehow your Steam account geographic data were switched to Russia. I know Steam Support can allow you to use a different store if you're traveling abroad, but I'm not sure whether this would change the "IPCountry".
  • The IP address you're using on the forums isn't the one you're using when connecting to Steam.

If you know for sure that you can rule out the third point, then you should open a support ticket (in German or in English, as you want) and explain the issue to Steam Support. You will need to create a support account if you do not already have one.

Tell them about the "user_info" command you typed in the Steam console (you can direct them to this forum thread) and what you read on the IPCountry line.

Keep us posted.

edit: If you tried to proxy the Steam client so as to be able to use the Russian Store, double check that you didn't left whatever tool you used activated.

Last edited by heffebaycay: 06-03-2012 at 12:35 PM.
heffebaycay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
welce

Well I thought I would update. I opened a ticket, still no answer. I'm patient. Not like I have any game that I need this instant.
But I didn't use a proxy for Russia. The only one I probably would have used is, for one in US. So I can bypass youtube/Gema crap.
Though I don't use it anymore.

So hopefully they can update the location so I can be in the right place again..
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Mr.EVIL

heffebaycay why u are orange ?

welce try to use german vpn for buy
Mr.EVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.EVIL View Post
heffebaycay why u are orange ?

welce try to use german vpn for buy
heffebaycay is a moderator on the forums which is why he's in orange

Users with green names are usually developers or approved users from a game company. This is so that people know they are talking with an official company spokesperson on the forums

Valve employees are green with a Valve logo under their naems
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips