Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series

Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
_Smith_

The best ways to play Quake 1 today !

Both "Classic Pack" and "HD Pack" contain Quake shareware demo episode and are independent from each other.
Play Quake unaltered on your first playthrough. It still has unique charm and unmatched atmosphere.

***===***
Singleplayer

Download Quake_Pack.zip and Quake_MissionPacks.zip - they contain:
1. Quakespasm and DirectQ engines configured for wsad controls, widescreen resolutions and faithful software renderer like look, which is better for original textures ( you can switch texture filtering on/off with an 'o' key ).
2. Quake Injector – downloader and launcher for quaddicted library of singleplayer maps and episodes.
3. Soundtracks.

All you'll have to do, to play full game, is to copy PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files
from \Steam\steamapps\common\quake\id1\ into \Quake\id1 ( additional info in Quake\00_QP_README.pdf )

***===***
Quakeinjector

You'll need the full Quake to run community maps and quakeinjector requires java to be installed on your system.
To download and launch maps from quaddicted execute 00_quakeinjector.jar ( more in 00_QP_README.pdf ).

At quaddicted you can find singleplayer maps and episodes, with detailed info, screenshots and community reviews.
Use quakeinjector to download and launch them though, since it is more convenient than setting them up manually.
Here is Spirit's thread with a nice list of interesting levels.

***===***
QuakeHD Pack

If you're not a gentleman of refined taste and require all the modern visual “blink, blink” try QuakeHD Pack.
You'll find useful info in the included short readme.pdf – read it. This pack is easy to use and contains all you'll need.

***===***
Multiplayer

There are two main active multiplayer communities:
http://quakeone.com : normal/NET Quake – more like original gameplay, mostly players from America.
http://www.quakeworld.nu : quakeworld – faster netcode, more altered gameplay, mostly Eurozone.

You can find players from all time zones hanging around both places and there are players who play both as well.
Search these places for more info on recommended for multi engines, mods, servers, rules, etc.

***===***
Steam overlay

If you really have to trick steam into counting your playtime etc:
- remove everything from \Steam\steamapps\common\quake ( copy it somewhere ).
- copy any already functional Quake setup you use into \Steam\steamapps\common\quake
- rename whatever executable you are using to winquake.exe

You can now launch Quake from Steam as usual.

Last edited by _Smith_: 08-05-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Fluiq

nevermind

Last edited by Fluiq: 06-04-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Fluiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
_Smith_

There are four "chapters" the longest first "Singleplayer" takes only half of the screen.
They can be processed separately, as they cover separate things.

I'll consider deleting something, but in the meantime please remove your qute from your post.

You're doubling scare factor. It is not helping
_Smith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Fluiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Smith_ View Post
There are four "chapters" the longest first "Singleplayer" takes only half of the screen.
They can be processed separately, as they cover separate things.

I'll consider deleting something, but in the meantime please remove your qute from your post.

You're doubling scare factor. It is not helping
I am not sure what you mean with doubling scare factor, but I think we should update the ultimate quake patch, and include some of the total conversions and graphical updates.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
_Smith_

I meant, that there are now two scary walls of text one after another to scroll through, which makes this thread even more intimidating

Ultimate Quake Patch is just a darkplaces engine renamed to winquake.exe, it is not my project to update it.
Two above mentioned engines offers closer to original look.
Some may consider darkplaces (UQP) to be better, so no reason to update that.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Fluiq

Quote:
I meant, that there are now two scary walls of text one after another to scroll through, which makes this thread even more intimidating

Two above mentioned engines offers closer to original look.
Ultimate Quake Patch is just a darkplaces engine renamed to winquake.exe, it is not my project to update it. Some may consider darkplaces (UQP) to be better, so no reason to update that.
I prefer darkplaces and this way of playing the game because I have never played the original, hence no nostalgic value for me.
The pack I made is for every person like me, somebody who has no nostalgic value to quake, but has to old school games.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Fluiq

_Smith_ join my group, I want to make a good quake pack with you.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
_Smith_

I enjoy it either way, both have value for me and OP covers both.

Thank you for your proposition, but I've taken currently a break from Quake. I have a huge backlog of games to play
For now: this thread, Spirit's thread and QHD compilation cover the topic good enough for me.

Last edited by _Smith_: 06-03-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Fluiq

Quote:
I enjoy it either way, both have value for me and OP covers both.

Thank you for your proposition, but I've taken currently a break from Quake. I have a huge backlog of games to play
For now: this thread, Spirit's thread and QHD compilation cover the topic good enough for me.
OK no problem man, I made the TC compilation for people who want to try the game since there is no demo and this is the best representation what to expect .
It is completely without graphical or any other mods, completely clean from any modification, that is why I released it this way, so people can decide what extra mod to use, and not have it decided for them, and at the same time have a full pack of games to play.

Last edited by Fluiq: 06-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Sasquatchsliper

Thanks a lot _Smith_

I was looking for the original look (with a little bit more pixels on screen though), so QuakeSpasm was the way to go.

I wish there was a "complete" post, explaining:
  1. The differences (in terms of how the game *actually* look ; example: since most HD packs are made for DP first and since DP supports advanced effects, DP is more "HD" focused) between Darkplaces, ProQuake, QuakeSpasm and other engines.
  2. The various "HD" packs lying around the Internet (Reforged, Revitalization, or Quake HD Pack which contains both)

All Quake veterans are saying "try them all", but when you'll be playing Quake for the first time (since you were born, or since you played it 15 years ago), and you won't play it 5 times in a row during that week, you need informations to choose.
Sasquatchsliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #11
SpiritQuaddict

Quake itself is a beautiful game. If you never played it before I suggest you play it as original/faithful as possible. Now, running a software renderer might not be for everyone so I suggest you use Quakespasm or DirectQ. Why? Because those engines focus on exactly that. Fixing the glquake mess to look more like software Quake. Introducing some new features but not shoving them down your throat. I wrote a bit about engine looks in http://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

I highly suggest not using any fan-made replacements of questionable taste and quality.

Quakespasm is the best choice to me. Don't forget to install the soundtrack too, it adds a lot of atmosphere. Also, keep Quake dark.
SpiritQuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Sasquatchsliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritQuaddict View Post
Quake itself is a beautiful game. If you never played it before I suggest you play it as original/faithful as possible.

Now, running a software renderer might not be for everyone so I suggest you use Quakespasm or DirectQ. Why? Because those engines focus on exactly that. Fixing the glquake mess to look more like software Quake. Introducing some new features but not shoving them down your throat. I wrote a bit about engine looks in http://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake

I highly suggest not using any fan-made replacements of questionable taste and quality.

Quakespasm is the best choice to me. Don't forget to install the soundtrack too, it adds a lot of atmosphere. Also, keep Quake dark.
Wise words

However, while everyone seem hypnotized by the Quake soundtrack, I only find it "atmospheric" as in "running in the background" and "environmental", not really moving me, something defining the identity of the game and its universe.

I lowered the volume to really hear the music, and still wasn't really moved.

3 month ago I played through Doom and enjoyed the soundtrack, same with many other old games, I don't really understand why Quake isn't catching on.

Maybe I need to make the game even more dark and charge more (rather than being "tactical" when the occasion arises), by being so cautious I spotted many traps instead of falling into them (and struggling to survive them).

It's just that I hate picking a power-up and wasting it (by not using it) while trying to find targets to obliterate. Doom would often spawn tons of enemies when you grab power-up so it was easy to not waste them (even if you don't rush levels).

Perhaps I should go back to lower resolution, to make it less "clear and empty" and more "ugly mess of gore, action and dark times".

Last edited by Sasquatchsliper: 06-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Sasquatchsliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
_Smith_

The way I think about this is that Quake simply doesn't have a soundtrack. These tracks are mostly ambient sounds.
I actually like it that way and lack of music makes atmosphere thicker. Try a nightmare skill, if you want more stuff to shoot at, monsters count approach default skill in Doom.

I mostly like to just soak atmosphere, exploring levels and searching for secrets. Quake use 3d space in its levels in much more interesting way than modern games full of linear corridors disguised as open space, designed for gamers lacking any ingame spacial awareness due to slow gamepads and ridiculously small fov.

I too encourage everyone to play unaltered Quake first, because it has unique charm and unmatched atmosphere.
I really appreciate Spirit's efforts and hope that "Quake Pack" download from this thread is helping to lower entry barrier, by putting everything one needs to access quaddicted content in a singular and ready to use download.

Personally I play all content from quaddicted in the pure form, but the original Quake episodes with HD Pack, since I've seen originals too many times already. Some of the graphic replacements, used bacause of lack of better alternatives, are indeed questionable, but I find it to be a nice experience overall.

Goal of QuakeHD Pack is to allow people curious about all these reworks, to just play, instead of burning off all the pleasure from plying this game, by trying to get rid of glitches and jarringly out of place content bundled with some otherwise nice mods. I believe that it is the most tasteful, or the least tasteless HD Pack available.

Last edited by _Smith_: 07-29-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
_Smith_

I've covered Mission Packs now and made a small update to HD Pack.

Last edited by _Smith_: 08-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Ranmaru

Quote:
Quake Ost for downloading purposes
As much as I want the Ost with the game I bought, where does it say it is permitted for us to have it legally?
Ranmaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series