Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Rasmorak

Shadow of Chernobyl crashes before the game even starts

I have no mods installed, verified game cache, and just reinstalled it this morning. When I hit play, the logo comes up, the screen goes black, and then it crashes saying:

XR_3DA.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl\bin\xrCore.dll" at 0023:00777CB5, xrDebug::backend()+165 byte(s)

this happens every time? I used to play it just fine without any problems until I formatted my laptop. Now it won't even start?

Also, Call of Pripyat is working perfectly fine. Wtf

Last edited by Rasmorak: 06-05-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Kocayine

anything in the log?
Kocayine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Rasmorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocayine View Post
anything in the log?

Where are those located?
Rasmorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
NatVac

Kudos for having verified your game cache, Rasmorak. Info on how to find your log file can be found here:

Crashes Still in the Patched Game

Log files are overwritten each time you start the game.
NatVac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Rasmorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatVac View Post
Kudos for having verified your game cache, Rasmorak. Info on how to find your log file can be found here:

Crashes Still in the Patched Game

Log files are overwritten each time you start the game.
Thanks m8. Here's my log file:

Code:
* Detected CPU: GenuineIntel Pentium-II, F6/M5/S5, 2527.00 mhz, 23-clk 'rdtsc'
* CPU Features: RDTSC, MMX, SSE, SSE2

Initializing File System...
using fs-ltx fsgame.ltx
--found external arch mp_military_2.xdb0
FS: 36663 files cached, 7577Kb memory used.
Init FileSystem 2.796945 sec
'xrCore' build 3188, Oct 26 2007

Initializing Engine...
Executing config-script "user.ltx"...
! Cannot open script file [user.ltx]
Starting INPUT device...
Loading DLL: xrRender_R1.dll
Loading DLL: xrGame.dll
! Unable to find InstallUserName entry in registry
* [win32]: free[4035536 K], reserved[58904 K], committed[99800 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[0 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[11207 K], process heap[2885 K], game lua[0 K], engine lua[0 K], render[0 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[3016 K], smem[0 K]
Executing config-script "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl\gamedata\config\default_controls.ltx"...
[c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\stalker shadow of chernobyl\gamedata\config\default_controls.ltx] successfully loaded.
Executing config-script "user.ltx"...
! Cannot open script file [user.ltx]
SOUND: OpenAL: enumerate devices...
SOUND: OpenAL: EnumerationExtension Present
devices Generic Hardware
SOUND: OpenAL: system  default SndDevice name is Generic Hardware
SOUND: OpenAL: default SndDevice name set to Generic Software
SOUND: OpenAL: All available devices:
1. Generic Software, Spec Version 1.1 (default)
2. Generic Software, Spec Version 1.1 (default)
SOUND: OpenAL: SelectBestDevice is Generic Software 1.1
SOUND: OpenAL: Required device: Generic Software. Created device: Generic Software.
* sound: EAX 2.0 extension: absent
* sound: EAX 2.0 deferred: absent
* sound : cache: 32773 kb, 3805 lines, 8820 bpl
Starting RENDER device...
* GPU [vendor:1002]-[device:9480]: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
* GPU driver: 8.17.10.1124
* CREATE: DeviceREF: 1
* Vertex Processor: PURE HARDWARE
*     Texture memory: 3753 M
*          DDI-level: 9.0
* GPU shading: vs(fffe0300/3.0/30), ps(ffff0300/3.0/30)
* GPU vertex cache: unrecognized, 16
* DVB created: 1536K
* DIB created: 512K
count of .thm files=4
load time=80 ms
* distortion: used, dev(30),need(14)
* SSample: 1024x768
* SSample: enabled
- r__tf_aniso 4
- r1_tf_mipbias 0.
Starting engine...
Loading DLL: xrGameSpy.dll

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression    : xml_doc.NavigateToNode(path,index)
[error]Function      : CUIXmlInit::InitStatic
[error]File          : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrGame\ui\UIXmlInit.cpp
[error]Line          : 172
[error]Description   : XML node not found
[error]Arguments     : msg_box_kicked_by_server:picture

stack trace:
Old 06-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
NatVac

Something is unintentionally missing in your description of symptoms, Rasmorak: You are not currently using vanilla STALKER, or you were not using vanilla, or somehow you had an older version of STALKER on your PC that didn't come from Steam, or you have multiple installs, etc.

That error, msg_box_kicked_by_server:picture, is fixable, although sometimes the cure is unpleasant. Some causes and cures are listed below.

The root cause: There is a mismatch between your bin\xrGame.dll --which accesses msg_box_kicked_by_server only in patches 1.0005 (which includes Steam's version) and 1.0006-- and your gamedata\config\ui\message_box.xml. That XML file for 1.0005 and 1.0006 support the msg_box_kicked_by_server dialog box, but the earlier patches do not have it.

Cause 1: Using a mod incompatible with game's patch version. This error is usually due to a mod problem. Typically someone is trying to use a large 1.0004-based mod with a game patched to 1.0005 (e.g., Steam) or 1.0006. Cure: Downpatch to 1.0004 for the mod, or get the mod's developers to make it compatible with 1.0005/6.

Cause 2: Extracting database files out of order. It happened to this guy, but he had extracted his gamedata files and did so wrongly. Cure: Extract database files in alphanumeric order: .db0-.db9, then .dba, .dbb, .dbc, etc. so that updated versions of the same files will replace older versions. DON'T extract anything unless you need to, and then do so to a separate directory outside the STALKER install dir.

But you said you were not using mods. If you extracted the gamedata.db* database files into a gamedata\ folder, that's technically modding your game. If you have a gamedata\ subdirectory, you are effectively running 'modded'.

Cause 3: Not having proper permissions. Cure: See the Virtual Store stuff in this Steam forum post.

You can also fix this by first removing or renaming your gamedata subdirectory. This would not normally need admin rights. (Check your virtual store folder anyway after doing this, just in case.)

Then make sure you have the gamedata.dbc file in place. The XML file with the necessary dialog is in gamedata.dbc. I would expect this to be so if you verified your game cache after re-installing.

I note that you said you'd verified the game cache, and you re-installed the game. You would need to re-verify the cache if you did do it before the re-install.

Some folks have to pretty much uninstall, remove their entire Stalker installation directory (including the cache!) and re-install to have a clean install. You would still need to verify cache after re-installing, but before making any other game modifications. Verifying the cache will likely disable your changes.

Cause 4: Mixing multiple installs. This might also arise from duplicate installs on 64-bit systems. You might be trying to launch a different copy of the game. Cure: Check the paths on your shortcuts and correct any not pointing to the Steam version. You might even need to remove all but one version.

There might be other causes, but the root cause is the same for all of them.

You might want to make sure your game can write the user.ltx file. It is missing according to the log, but that might be normal for the first start of the game. I did think that STALKER for Steam came with a copy, so you might want to change fsgame.ltx per the Steam-relevant part of the the Virtual Store Steam forum post linked above. The game can recreate user.ltx as needed.

Note: Existing saves might not be valid with any of these changes above. That doesn't sound like you would have a problem with this, though -- you need to get the game running in the first place, Rasmorak.

Finally, while one can merge the 1.0005 msg_box_kicked_by_server dialog window definition into the 1.0004 version of message_box.xml, there would be other problems due to changes in the other kind of dialogs, the ones you have with the NPCs in the game, unless you are using the ZRP (Zone Reclamation Project) patch/mod which works "out of the box" with 1.0004 and 1.0005/6. At most one would need to change a configuration variable to switch between game patches, and that only if he/she has a custom system.ltx file.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Rasmorak

Weird. I don't remember ever installing mods for Shadow of Chernobyl... I guess it's possible though. So my best bet is to completely uninstall SoC and reinstall it?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
NatVac

It might be a permissions problem, or something else. You might need to run as admin.

You mentioned the mod thing, but that was only one of four possibilities.

Did you check for a gamedata\ subdirectory in your STALKER installation folder yet? If so, rename that and try again.

Re-installing might work, per my "cause 3" comment. Did you check for the presence of gamedata.dbc?

I have to ask, because all that is in the "cause 3" remark: Did you read my reply beyond "cause 1"?

Hopefully by this time you've tried a few other options. I don't post on STALKER forum sites that often these days -- the game is over five years old and there's very little that's new.

Edit: ...Except in mods, and if it is a mod problem, it needs to be brought to the attention of the mod's development team, even though their usual response is a denial that it is their problem.

The problem with searching is that the info is hard to find; the search engines post the most popular matching links first and those often don't have the answer.

Last edited by NatVac: 06-19-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: ... very little new -- except in mods

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series